• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory 10x25 dual hinge? (1 Viewer)

WiscTJK

I was paging through the Cabela's optics catalog last night and noticed that they had listed a new Zeiss Victory 10x25 dual hinge compact that looked like a conquest but with push and pull style eyecups like the current victory 10x25.

I can't find any information on these anywhere.

I am wondering if this is just a misprint from Cabelas where they were showing them or if this is a new model where they are going away from the single hinge victory compact. They had the Vortex Viper and Razor labeled incorrectly so it may simply be a misprint.

I am wondering if anyone has any information on these.

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited:
I understand that there is a picture in the catalogue? If yes, it should not be so difficult to see if it is a Zeiss, and if it is different from the present victory or conquest compact. If it is, now that would be interesting ;)

I have that catalog, and they have clearly mislabeled the dual hinge model
shown in the picture. It is the Zeiss Conquest, not the Victory.

Jerry

I have that catalog, and they have clearly mislabeled the dual hinge model
shown in the picture. It is the Zeiss Conquest, not the Victory.

Jerry

And they are selling it for $699.99 which is way too much money for a Conquest Compact. That's the price for a Victory. In any case the written description is for a Victory. (Asymmetrical articulated joint saves space.)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-conquest-10x25-b-t-binocular-leather-case

But note that the Conquest comes with an "elegant leather case." The Victory's is Cordura Nylon.

Bob

Last edited:
The Victory compacts also come with a leather case.

Eagle Optics says they have a leather case. Camera Land says they are cordura.

But can you tell us why the 8x20 Victory and the 10x25 Victory both sell for the same price? $699.99. At both places. There is a $50.00 difference in prices between those sizes in the Conquest line.

Bob

Hi Bob

Gary will speak for himself but I will just observe that he is a service engineer based in the UK so may not be able to comment on commercial matters in the USA, especially since what you describe may be due to internet competition and not to Zeiss Inc pricing.

But you touch on an interesting area. In the case of the the two Victory compacts the case for the 10x25 being more expensive is clear, it having a bigger objective size.

But what about 8x42 and 10x42 in the same series and from the same maker? Is there really a cost difference between the 8x and 10x or is it just traditional to charge extra for the step up in magnification? Is this the only characteristic that is understood by the average bins buyer? One could argue a case for charging a higher price for the extra stability of the 8x or the bigger FOV of a 7x.

Should the traditional price structure continue?

Lee

I don't know, Lee.

Maybe prices go up with the power because it has always been that way? Nobody questioned it before. That is why I thought the same priceings for the Victorys was unusual.

I bought an 8 x 20 Victory T* in 2009 from CameraLand. They were on sale at that time for $359.99 for some reason or other. I've forgotten why. Maybe an upgrade? But I can't imagine that the current model which sells for $699.99 is twice as good as the one I have. Mine has a cordura case. At that time I could have chosen to get a leather case for, I think, $100.00 more. I think it is a really good little binocular.

Bob

There may be a case for a 10×42 binocular costing more than an 8×42 as the eyepieces are often more complex and sometimes have a wider apparent field of view.

Additionally, in theory it may be more difficult to effectively collimate a 10 times binocular than an eight times.

The same applies to 10×50, 12×50 and 16×50 binoculars of the same model.

Of course, the actual production costs may not be that different although there will be less 12 times and 16 times binocular sold than 10 times so unit costs may be higher.

However, it is only the eyepieces that usually vary with the rest of the binocular probably identical, although again theoretically the higher magnification binocular should have higher tolerances and better accuracies.

I don't know, Lee.

I bought an 8 x 20 Victory T* in 2009 from CameraLand. I think it is a really good little binocular.

Bob

Bob

I'm not going to argue with that. I got one last year and its always next to my elbow when I am at this desk.

A couple of weeks ago it bagged a low flying Sparrowhawk for me and gave me a cracking view.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back