• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

foggy windy then sunny Hokkaido (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
So it was foggy by the sea yesterday morning. It was sunny when I left my appartment and I noted Crossbills were still around-I was even able to approach a male engrossed in a pinecone to about 3 feet ( no camera I`m afraid). The Hawfinches and Dusky Thrush were still around and the first of the "summer" birds-5 ( Asian? ) House Martin.
The fog rolled in off the sea and of course I couldn`t see a darn thing. I climbed the local Mountain which juts out into the sea at the end of a spit. The forest was alive with birds-at least 4 Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, Marsh Tit, Japanese Bush Warbler ( another summer visitor with a very distinctive song-"hokokekkiyot" ), lots of Nuthatch ( Siberian race) too....
At the top of the mountain there is an open scrubby area that was above the fog and there were several Stonechat ( again of the Siberian race ), Siberian Meadow Bunting and what seemed like hundreds of Great and Coal Tits......and the wind finally blew the fog away and I basked in spring sunshine.
My local year list is at 68 now.......still lots to see.

Sounds like a wonderful day Stu! So many birds I've never heard of and didn't know existed! I'd love to see pictures of a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back