• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

macro photography (1 Viewer)

Hi
Any one specializes in macro photography, re insects
I’m looking into getting a macro lens Without having to take out a mortgage but not shore whether to go for a dedicated lens or a zoom macro lens what you think

hugh

Hugh

I raised this very question on the World Photography site and got some very helpful replies.

Link to thread here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=94

As a result of the help I was given I went on to purchase a Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro with which I am very pleased. The Macro gallery is very useful where you can see the results of other members - some superb photos.

Last edited:
:'D
kennygee said:
Hugh

I raised this very question on the World Photography site and got some very helpful replies.

Link to thread here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=94

As a result of the help I was given I went on to purchase a Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro with which I am very pleased. The Macro gallery is very useful where you can see the results of other members - some superb photos.
Hi ken
Thank you very much for your input, I hav had a look and I think Im going to go for the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens

I’m a 61 year old with angina and crones dizzies
this is a list of equipment I am carrying, my back is almost broken :smoke: :'D
all this equipment it’s a lot to carry I’m trying to think of what I cold leev out for wildlife photograph, Open to any other surjection’s besides get a donkey

A Nikon fm2 camera,

A Nikon d70,

A Nikon AF nikkor 28- 80mm zoom lens,

A Nikon af Nikkor|70-300mm 1:4-5.6 g lens,

A Nikko*ed 180 1:2.8 436675, telephoto lens, will werk with my nikon d70 on manual,

A Sigma apo 50-500mm f4-6.EX it’s built like a flipping cannon ways ½ a ton, but a grate lens

Let me know what you think
Thank and very best wishes hugh

Hugh

I am a similar age to you and also have heart problems and can empathise with the weight issues. I am so pleased with the 105mm Sigma that I purchased a Kenko Pro 300 1.4X converter to go with it. Because the Sigma is sharp the TC works well with good results and retains AF.

My gear is:

Cameras - Canon 300D, Panasonic FZ20, Nikon CP4500

Because of the weight issues I tend to restrict the lenses carried according to what I want to do

Digiscoping - Kowa 823M + CP4500 or 300D + 50mm f1.8
SLR birding - 300D + Sigma 50-500mm (if taking tripod), Canon 75-300mm IS (if hand holding)
Casual walking around shots - Panasonic FZ20
Landscapes - 300D + EF-S 18-55mm, Canon 50mm, Sigma 105mm + 1.4X
Macro - Sigma 105mm + 1.4X + tripod

When you get your new kit post some shots on the World Photography site if they are non-bird subjects.

Last edited:
kennygee said:
Hugh

I am a similar age to you and also have heart problems and can empathise with the weight issues. I am so pleased with the 105mm Sigma that I purchased a Kenko Pro 300 1.4X converter to go with it. Because the Sigma is sharp the TC works well with good results and retains AF.

My gear is:

Cameras - Canon 300D, Panasonic FZ20, Nikon CP4500

Because of the weight issues I tend to restrict the lenses carried according to what I want to do

Digiscoping - Kowa 823M + CP4500 or 300D + 50mm f1.8
SLR birding - 300D + Sigma 50-500mm (if taking tripod), Canon 75-300mm IS (if hand holding)
Casual walking around shots - Panasonic FZ20
Landscapes - 300D + EF-S 18-55mm, Canon 50mm, Sigma 105mm + 1.4X
Macro - Sigma 105mm + 1.4X + tripod

When you get your new kit post some shots on the World Photography site if they are non-bird subjects.
Ken I will be in hospital on the 25 I should only be in for a few days I will get the lens when I am out I phoned camera world and they have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens 289.99 and that I can pick it up when I cum out thanks, I’m going to try and post sum moor of my bird shots if I can remember how :-O have a look let me know what you thinks

swans

kennygee said:
Hugh

Look forward to your posts. Good luck.
Hi ken Iv posted sum shots all of the sam nest onley 1chick sevived kids kild the uthe 2 will post photo of seviving chick when Im out of hospitall becos of uplod limit. in birds of britain & europe hav a look let me know what you think of the shots and copeosition
very best wishes hugh

Hi Hugh

I find swans a difficult subject to get the exposure right. Probably the white against a darker background. I liked the Mallard and the cygnet.

Of all the swan pics I've taken I've only got two in my gallery - one of those is a cygnet too.

Just out of interest do you shoot raw or jpg? I find when I shoot raw I have more scope to get my swan pics right - not that I'm particularly good at post processing.

PS I've sent you a PM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back