• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Lucky I had stonking views on Monday! :-O

I too managed good views on Monday, got all the salient features apart from the rump, struggled to use the scope at all due to left eye not being 100% anyway and having FB removed from right eye at hospital on Sunday morning, but this typifies my luck in the recent past.

Another major plus for me was that I drove there myself with no problems whatever:t:(furthest I have driven for some 18 months). I too got 'detoured' due to poor signposting, fogotten just awkward this area is to access from the south.

A really superb record and full credit to the finder, don't think this would have been on anyones sweepstake for the countys' next new bird. ( Daniel will probably now say it was on his 'forecast' list);)

Hey Ro, good stuff! glad you made it up there ok - it is a ballache thats for sure, but well worth it for good views of a good bird.

Wasnt even close to my sweepstake list I have to say - not even considered it! Was saying to Rich that I considered Icterine as more likely, but even thats a long shot.........

So, while its quiet, what is everyones guess at Derbyshires next new bird?

Lets kick of with Pacific Golden Plover.......on the Moors or a brief 20 min Ogston bird........

Hey Ro, good stuff! glad you made it up there ok - it is a ballache thats for sure, but well worth it for good views of a good bird.

Wasnt even close to my sweepstake list I have to say - not even considered it! Was saying to Rich that I considered Icterine as more likely, but even thats a long shot.........

So, while its quiet, what is everyones guess at Derbyshires next new bird?

Lets kick of with Pacific Golden Plover.......on the Moors or a brief 20 min Ogston bird........

Thanks Dan. Problem is with my slurred, hesitant speech and lack of balance folks think I've been on the bottle ( at least it gave me a wide berth at the Bonelli's) but there were some very generous birders there, one giving me prolonged views in his scope and another supplying me with a photie. Won't forget the kindness shown in a hurry.
My prediction is Black-winged Stilt (found by Dave at Wyver)--I've actually seen one of these from Derbyshire--Some years ago one frequented Croxhall G P's (Staffs) which is just over the border so after passing the 'Derbyshire' county sign from Staffs I parked on a 'raised' area of road then set the 'scope up on the car roof and could see the Stilt on c 60x mag. Seem to remember this bird relocated to Blacktoft so no doubt followed the Trent thus transversing Derbys.

Or could be Buff-breasted Sand ( at Carsi?) White-rumped Sand (Mark @ Carr Vale?) Squacco (at Godkin Ponds :smoke:) and last of my five Desert Wheatear (Trent Valley).;)

Hi everyone, have seen the pics of the WBW, can't get there unfortunately, would be a cracking bird to see. Following on from my Common Terns flying over the other day, I have just had an Oystercatcher flying over my garden and calling.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes June 2011

Highlights include Great Crested Grebe, Shelduck, Common Tern
and Spotted Flycatcher.

Maximum counts for June include a single Great Crested Grebe
which flew in at dusk on 17th. This is a rare bird for Wyver,
although a pair was seen displaying on the river nearby recently.
2 Cormorants on 10th, 23rd and 28th. 2 Grey Herons on 9th, 12th
and 16th. 73 Greylag Geese including 55 adults and 18 young on
2nd, and 50 on 13th including 25 young. 55 Canada Geese including
40 young on 23rd. The pair of Shelduck that turned up in May stayed
throughout June. 3 Mandarin on 23rd and 4 on 17th. 3 Gadwall on
7th, 11th, 12th, 14th and 17th. The first returning Teal was a drake
on 10th, then 5 present on 16th and 17th and 6 on 25th. 49 Mallard
on 17th and up to 5 broods noted. A pair of Shoveler on several dates
and the female last seen on 17th. 5 Tufted Duck on 25th.
2 Goosander on 17th. 8 Coots on 17th including 1 young,
2 to 3 broods of Moorhen by the end of the month. 4 Pheasants on
2nd and 7th.

Raptors include 4 Buzzards on 7th, 9th and 14th. 2 Kestrel on 20th.
Hobby's were noted on 1st, 20th, 22nd and 23rd. Single Sparrowhawk
sightings on many dates and 2 were seen on 7th.

2 Oystercatchers for most of the month and 3 on 21st and 28th. 62
Lapwing on 26th. A Curlew on 2nd, 4th, 7th and 11th. A Common
Sandpiper on 25th and 29th.

4 Black-Headed Gulls on 10th. A Common Tern arrived on 23rd, 2 were
present briefly on 25th and 1 was still present at the end of the month.
4 Stock Doves on 10th, 2 Kingfishers were around the upper pool on
10th, and 1 on 21st. These are the first records since October last year.
8 juvenile Swallows near the viewing mound on 9th. 35 House Martins
on 25th. 2 Grey Wagtails on 14th and an adult and juvenile on 10th.
4 Pied Wagtails on 17th including 2 adults and 2 juveniles.
A male Redstart near Wyver Woods on 14th. A report of 2 Reed
Warblers on 25th, 5+ Whitethroat on 9th, 11th, 13th and 14th.
A Garden Warbler on 13th, 14th and 16th, 3 Blackcaps on 4th and 9th.
3 Chiff Chaffs on 4th and 28th, a Goldcrest on 11th and 13th,
a Spotted Flycatcher on 4th and 11th, 6 Mistle Thrush on 16th,
20 Long-Tailed Tit on 20th, a Willow Tit on 13th and 21st, 2
Treecreepers taking food to a nest on several dates. 2 Raven on 13th,
6 Goldfinch on 7th, an unseasonal Siskin flew over on 11th, 5 Reed
Buntings on 25th and 2 juveniles on 23rd.

Thanks Dan. Problem is with my slurred, hesitant speech and lack of balance folks think I've been on the bottle ( at least it gave me a wide berth at the Bonelli's) but there were some very generous birders there, one giving me prolonged views in his scope and another supplying me with a photie. Won't forget the kindness shown in a hurry.
My prediction is Black-winged Stilt (found by Dave at Wyver)--I've actually seen one of these from Derbyshire--Some years ago one frequented Croxhall G P's (Staffs) which is just over the border so after passing the 'Derbyshire' county sign from Staffs I parked on a 'raised' area of road then set the 'scope up on the car roof and could see the Stilt on c 60x mag. Seem to remember this bird relocated to Blacktoft so no doubt followed the Trent thus transversing Derbys.

Or could be Buff-breasted Sand ( at Carsi?) White-rumped Sand (Mark @ Carr Vale?) Squacco (at Godkin Ponds :smoke:) and last of my five Desert Wheatear (Trent Valley).;)

I will certainly settle for a Black-winged Stilt down Wyver. There was a few posts a year or two ago trying to predict the next goodie down Wyver or just Derbyshire. I think I mentioned a good Wader so I guess that has already happened with the 5 Avocets back in March.

It's about time Wyver got a Yellow-legged Gull or a Glossy Ibis.

Very intereseting, Jane. I did see your thread you started the other day and I was going to post something but never got round to it.

I wonder if Roland (aka Papa 10) has any recollection of this. Sorry Roland ;)

Although a bit before my time I managed to get some gen for you Dave:-

According to the Birds of Derbyshire (R.A. Frost) Golden Eagle formerlly bred in the County based on a record from1668 when a nest was found in Derwent Woodlands containing a single youngster and an addled egg. The nest was 2 yards square with one end on a rock and the other end on two birches. There were other records of birds in the 18th century with a definite being shot on Clive's 'patch' in1823. Ther are other sightings,the last being in 1952.

Keep 'plugging away' at your patch and there's a good chance you'll turn up the 'biggie' (cf Mark at Carr Vale), 'til then I'll be content reading your updates.

Very interesting stuff there. I wonder if that's the same book that mentions the huge numbers of Ravens that were shot around Derbyshire in the early 1700's.

Anyway, I didn't quite get a biggie but I did get a site tick down Wyver Lane tonight. I was standing on the viewing mound with C Brown when we had 3 Crossbills fly over south.

We then went up on the moors for around 2 hours and got very little. Driving back through Starkholmes we got a Tawny Owl on top of a telegraph pole.

Very interesting stuff there. I wonder if that's the same book that mentions the huge numbers of Ravens that were shot around Derbyshire in the early 1700's.

Anyway, I didn't quite get a biggie but I did get a site tick down Wyver Lane tonight. I was standing on the viewing mound with C Brown when we had 3 Crossbills fly over south.

We then went up on the moors for around 2 hours and got very little. Driving back through Starkholmes we got a Tawny Owl on top of a telegraph pole.

Sounds like an interesting book, would be special to see an Eagle in the county, though we know it happened recently! Maybe that's the next Derbyshire biggie?;)
Nice to get the Crossbills Dave, I had around 20 yesterday in Bottom Moor, mainly streaky juveniles.
Later at Carsi, 7 Heron, 2 Dunlin,2 C Sand, C Tern, and the ad Yellow legged Gull.

Congrats on the Crossbills Dave... not an easy one to get in Belper!

I see that flippin' WBonelli's turned up again showing on Sunday.... Was going to take friends up on Saturday but it appeared to have gone on my pager messages..... we were in Northhants on Sunday so no second trip up to the north of the county, still we did get mega views of Purple Emperor, although I have concluded Butterfly twitches can be worse than Bird ones;)

Re the old bird books etc, Paul was looking for references for Derbyshire birds on the BTO website the other day, it only mentions 2 books apparently, one written in the 1890's and Roy's....

Frost, R.A. (1978) Birds of Derbyshire. Moorland, Hartington.
Whitlock, F.B. (1893) The birds of Derbyshire. Bemrose, London & Derby.

The aviforna is well overdue it seems....

ATB

Steph'

Hi all
Went up Cromford Moor on Thurs evening to check out Nightjars but not a sign; just 2 Woodcock over; i think the sheep and cows!! wandering all over the place would have put a ground nester off the place; the crowd of school leavers around the trig point didnt lighten my mood either; think the highlight was getting up the Malt Shovel hill without having to get off!!!!!.
MR

Down Wyver today and pretty much the same bird wise as Sunday (except for Crossbills) but just a word of warning for anyone thinking of going down. Work has started on the de-contamination of the land surrounding Lawn Cottage at the bottom of the lane. Although the reserve itself is largely undisturbed (so far) the narrow lane was full of site traffic today. And despite the 10mph signs most if not all vehicles were certainly exceeding that.

Quick look at Wyver last evening revealed 148 Lapwings and a Common Sand on the main pool. Little else apart from Reed Bunts and Whitethroat around the hedge, so wandered down to the mound. Stock Doves in abundance, a few Swifts (surprised no Martins or Swallows), 2 female type Mandarin on the upper pool and 2 Teal.
Walked back to the car as a Kestrel was sat on the wires and I wanted to photograph it - as I did a Green Sand dropped in on the mud.
No Herons at all this evening which is unusual - wonder if the construction traffic has put them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back