• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Revisiting the classic porro (1 Viewer)

Steve,

That is an excellent group you have there. I have/had all but the Canon. The Nikons are excellent and the Commander has a brighter and more neutral view than many of the other Vintage porros I have on hand.

I have purchased from the goodwill group when they put their bins up on the bay. Didn't know you could buy from them directly. Will check it out.

Thanks.

Are any of you guys familiar with the vintage porro german binocular branded vergutet??
I'd have to see the word used in context to know its meaning, but I'm positive it's not a brand of binocular. I recall having seen this word used from time to time in German language eBay sales. Google Translate may help: http://translate.google.com/#de|en|

Closest thing I could find in my German Dictionary is the verb verguten which means "to pay/reimburse for" so maybe they are using the word like we use copyright or patent.....who knows.

Steve

I'd have to see the word used in context to know its meaning, but I'm positive it's not a brand of binocular. I recall having seen this word used from time to time in German language eBay sales. Google Translate may help: http://translate.google.com/#de|en|

Vergütung means the antireflex coating

German Wikipedia:

Bei Objektiven und Okularen mit einer solchen Beschichtung spricht man hierbei von einer Vergütung

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antireflexbeschichtung

Like a lot of you guys I enjoy buying classic porros and I have acquired several over the last year or so but I want to mention one make/model rarely mentioned that offers fantastic value. I recently picked up a Canon porro on ebay and the optics/build quality are superb.

I had a rare day off work so I put some of my 8x porros on the coffee table this morning and spent a couple hours watching the birds at the feeder. I was comparing the binos and it surprised me just how good the 40+ years old Canons really are.

It was raining and the newer porros had a little edge in light transmission due to their better lens coatings but the Canons were just as sharp. This is really impressive considering the other 8x porros were an 8x32 SE, an 8x30 EII, and a 8x30 Habchit.

If you ever get a chance at one of the older Canon porros that appears to be in good shape I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was only out 61.50 total for the most "bang for the buck" optical value I've experienced so far.

Steve

I have a pair of these I traded straight across for some Swift Audubon 8.5x44's and to my eye they were much better. The focusing knob is really too stiff even when warm though. I also own Nikon EII's as well and at least for my samples it would be a great stretch to compare the EII and the Canons, however. But they are a great cheapie. Nice build quality, too.

I have a pair of these I traded straight across for some Swift Audubon 8.5x44's and to my eye they were much better. The focusing knob is really too stiff even when warm though. I also own Nikon EII's as well and at least for my samples it would be a great stretch to compare the EII and the Canons, however. But they are a great cheapie. Nice build quality, too.

The Canons fall a little short when compared to EII's and SE's because of the newer Nikons excellent coatings (better contrast and color saturation) but don't give up anything in build quality.

Pop off the front hinge cap on your Canon and use a small screwdriver (straight bladed) inserted into the exposed hole to loosen the screw that retains the ocular assembly. Twist the focus wheel until the oculars come out of the ocular tubes and clean/lube the exposed threads as needed. Takes about five minutes and your focus is smooth as silk.

Steve

I think these are Nikon 7x50 Tropicals. The Prostar looks identical except for some thin red rings around the objective cells. The objective lens caps can obscure the rings, but I think the rings would be visible from the angle in the photo.

I think these are Nikon 7x50 Tropicals. The Prostar looks identical except for some thin red rings around the objective cells. The objective lens caps can obscure the rings, but I think the rings would be visible from the angle in the photo.

:eek!: Thank you Henry!
I emailed the seller hoping he will deliver abroad (though not very far from Sweden) and how their condition is.

The price...well...$100!!!

I will offer him $200!!

Just kidding.

;)

Good luck with the purchase. I hope you get them.

Thanks Frank.
We have a proverb in Sweden: "Sälj inte skinnet förrän björnen är skjuten!" meaning "Don't sell the fur before the bear has been shot". ;)

//L

Edit: Have exchanged email with the lady, who sent me a couple other pics. The objective ring on the right barrel seems to have unscrewed a bit, but there's no rattle, no scratches or funghi and they are in fine working condition according to her.
The externals make me a little puzzled as the leather looks almost new, while the oculars and prism housings are covered with dust. Have these been standing unused for many years? The eyecups look semi-antique to me.

It's not likely I will keep these unless I fall in deep love, because I'm more after units I can bring out birding. I will report back here after they've arrived and have been cleaned. And, like I wrote, I'm open to suggestions for a fair swap. I'm not after making money on these, but a swap ought to include items of similar value, regardless of what we paid for them.

Edit 2: The case has the newer Nikon logotype so they shouldn't be ancient, probably 70's or 80's.

And I owe you a lot, Henry!

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried the Bushnell Rangemaster binoculars?
They are rare in the UK but I am looking hard for a pair.

LS,

I don't know if I have anything that you would want nor do I know the value of these but I would be open to discussing a swap. ;)

Simon,

I have yet to own a Rangemaster but have been trying. If I snag one then I will be sure to comment on it further. I know of at least one or two forum members who have owned one. Hopefully they will comment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120866145187?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230753287095?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

The Nikon Tropicals are now paid and will be sent with courier tomorrow from beautiful city of Copenhagen. Am I anxious to get them in my hands? You bet.

Hi guys,

I came across this post as I'm wondering if any can tell me if the the busnell banner 7x24 were any good, cant find anything via google search....a few pairs on bay...£10 or so. After the older Bushnell/b&l custom 7x26 but they are like hen's teeth.

Not really wanting for everyday birding...these post have opened my eyes to the fact that there are some cracking old bins out to be had!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back