• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd behaviour (1 Viewer)

saugen48

First of all, I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and live in a rural environment. Over the last several days, we have had a very small bird which I believe is an
Eastern Kingbird. At least, the coloring is right on with the black (dark grey) head, back and wings and the white underparts. I found its picture in the Birds of Eastern North America by Frank Shaw (pocket guide).
Anyway, now to the odd behaviour. Over the last week or so, we have had one bird which has been sitting on the outer sill of one of our bedroom windows and he has been jumping up, pecking at the window and flapping his wings. I thought it might have been because of springtime, defending territory and seeing his reflection, thought it might be another male. When disturbed, he will leave that window and go to another. I have seen him in the rear of the house and in the front (I believe its the same bird). This behaviour starts at around 6:30 am and is very bothersome, not to mention the mess he is making of the windows after the bride had just finished cleaning them no more than two weeks ago. He seems to expel a lot of feces when doing this hopping and pecking.
Any idea what might be the cause of this behaviour

At a guess, I would say he is trying to chase off his own reflection. Establishing its territory and thinks his reflection is another bird!

I suppose you could try putting up a "net" curtain, or some such thing. This seems to happen quite a lot at this time of the year, birds attacking their reflection in windows.

Hope this helps; maybe other suggestions are forthcoming.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back