• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7100 + SW80ED (1 Viewer)

Remirath

Hello there

Anybody in the forum with this configuration? I'm thinking on go one step over switching my D90 with the new D7100. On some pages find information regarding the exigence of this camera with the lenses, so chromatic aberrations will be increased in comparation with D90...

Thanks by advance!

I have been using a D7000 with good success on my SW80/600 ED. I have also been toying with the idea of moving up to the 7100, but I want to wait and see what Olympus will have to offer in the fall. The 7100 would have some very clear advantages over the 7000; resolution, no AA filter.. both sellers in my book.
I don't see how increased resolution would affect CA. The lens makes it. The SW has VERY little. Can easily be removed in PP.

Last edited:
Maybe the lack of AA filter would increase it... With my D90 and SW80ED not many CA on my pictures...

The worst thing is the problems with oil spots that apear on the sensor. Dan do you have this problem with your D7000?? It seems that D7000 - D600 and D7100 have the same issue...

It seems that some of these 3 cameras have an over lubrication on the mirror mechanism and sometimes spray the oil over the sensor so you got "dust" on the pictures with low apperture

Oil spots??!! Good heavens, no! But I will keep an eye on it. That is one feature of the mirror-less cameras that bothers me. OK, no mirror, (and thus, no oil;)), but the sensor is exposed so much of the time. I guess one must be careful to have the camera turned off when changing lenses so that the shutter is closed.
The lack of an AA filter with that pixel pitch will be far less noticeable than with say a 12 mp sensor. I wouldn't worry about it. What you gain in detail would far outweigh any disadvantages like Moiree. For birds the 7100 would be great!
As I said, I am waiting to see what Oly is going to come up with as I have two really good Oly lenses that I would like to keep using, and they just don't work well on the OM-D. If their new body is going to be too expensive I may just go with a 7100, or perhaps a second hand OM-D just to use on the SW. Olympus makes very good cameras and GREAT lenses. Often underrated. The OM-D is a great little camera, and several of the guys here use the OM-D with great success on the SW80ED.

Nice to hear about that Dan. For sure no all the bodies have this issue, and Nikon acts correctly cleaning the sensor and in some cases they replace with a new body. The new products always have issues so I prefer to wait a little bit for the users that made the real quality control of the cameras, so the brands can correct them.

I never made a wet clean of my D90 sensor with 5 years and more than 60000 shots. Only blow it every month or so, it depends of the use. And I switch lenses in the beach, forest, dirty roads...

There are so many factors to take into consideration when choosing a body it can get very confusing. But one factor should not be overlooked, and that is dynamic range at high ISO settings. We need high ISO to keep the shutter speeds up with such long lenses. How well the 7100 does is still open as I have not seen much in the way of real world tests. But if I had to choose, I would opt for the better DR over higher MP.
Sensors are improving rapidly, and I can see a time coming when DR on high MP sensors will match what we see now in the FF guys, like the D600.
I will have a chance very soon to compare a D600 with my D7000 on the SW. Should be interesting considering the D600's sensor blows practically everything out of the water.

There are so many factors to take into consideration when choosing a body it can get very confusing. But one factor should not be overlooked, and that is dynamic range at high ISO settings. We need high ISO to keep the shutter speeds up with such long lenses. ….

IMHO for our use there's one thing that's far more important than ISO or DR or IQ overall. All cameras are quite good these days at all that, some better than others but in the final image the difference wont be that noticeable.

The feature that makes a world of difference for me is how easy is the camera to manual focus, everything else comes secondary. An image can be brilliantly colorful, noise free at ISO 10000 and with enough DR to cover from the sun to the deepest shade, but if it's not well focused is useless.
With the bodies I used and tried there were enough differences to make me go one way or the other and forget image quality.

For example, the D90 was the perfect DSLR, the OVF was good, images just snapped into focus, and trap focus worked close to perfection.
The D7000 had an even better OVF (slightly) but trap focus was a pain, it was completely inaccurate.
Canons were all useless IMO (sorry to the canon users, but is just my experience), the OVF on all the APS-C canons I used were foggy, images definitely don't snap into focus like the Nikon's. Trap focus was also so-so.

IMO these days anyone wanting a camera for MF should forget the classic DSLR and look for anything with an EVF on it. Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus...whatever.

The A65 I use for example has a huge, high resolution EVF, much bigger than any APS-C DSLR OVF. Like the D90 the images snap into focus, but unlike the D90 or any other DSLR the EVF shows you a true and accurate DOF. Not only that but the EVF gain up as light get's dimmer, even if you're shooting with a couple of stacked TC's the view will still be as bright as the scope alone, that helps a lot at slow apertures.
Then there are the MF gadgets, like magnification witch is very useful for static subjects, you really can't miss focus with it if the subject is stopped.
And on top of everything else there's focus peaking, this is IMO the best way to do manual focus, most peaking systems are not perfect yet, but they're still much better than any OVF or any gizmo available for a DSLR.

Remirath, I know this isn't the answer to your question but as a former D90 user and a brief D7000 user, I have to say DSLRs are not the way to go anymore for a scope user, and if your looking for a new body to use with the scope I think you can do better going in another direction ;) JMHO

Point well made, Fernando. Didn't want to even get into that, but you are absolutely right. Another reason I am waiting to see what the new Olympus will be like, (supposedly with an EVF). For me the D7000 was always intended to be a stop-gap solution since Oly has been so slow in bringing out their new model. The OM-D is not quite there, at least for what I want/need.

The OM-D is not quite there, at least for what I want/need.

In my opinion no camera is there yet but the next generation of Olympus and Sony will, at least judging from the rumors…well see.
I see the A65 as a stop gap too, I bought it because it was the cheapest camera with the OLED EVF and peaking. It was the cheapest way to try these features.

My next camera will most likely be the new OMD or the new Alpha series. I would probably prefer the alpha series though, if the MP count remains the same there’s virtually no advantage in the OM-D crop factor, and I find the OM-D way too small.
For me the only thing that would tip the scale for the OM-D, is Olympus peaking. If Sony keeps their peaking detection as it is now, I probably go to Olympus as I think it’s a better way of doing it.

For me the only thing that would tip the scale for the OM-D, is Olympus peaking. If Sony keeps their peaking detection as it is now, I probably go to Olympus as I think it’s a better way of doing it.

Are you referring to the "sort of" focus peaking, one can do with an art filter? Or (i realised just now) you might refer to the newest Pen? (e-p5)

the art filter one is useless to me - at least for birds. (om-d)

I'm referring to the EP-5. It's a very good peaking system, too bad it's was implement in a camera without enough processing power for it, or so it seems. I hope the future OM-D can take care of that.

IMHO for our use there's one thing that's far more important than ISO or DR or IQ overall. All cameras are quite good these days at all that, some better than others but in the final image the difference wont be that noticeable.

The feature that makes a world of difference for me is how easy is the camera to manual focus, everything else comes secondary. An image can be brilliantly colorful, noise free at ISO 10000 and with enough DR to cover from the sun to the deepest shade, but if it's not well focused is useless.
With the bodies I used and tried there were enough differences to make me go one way or the other and forget image quality.

For example, the D90 was the perfect DSLR, the OVF was good, images just snapped into focus, and trap focus worked close to perfection.
The D7000 had an even better OVF (slightly) but trap focus was a pain, it was completely inaccurate.
Canons were all useless IMO (sorry to the canon users, but is just my experience), the OVF on all the APS-C canons I used were foggy, images definitely don't snap into focus like the Nikon's. Trap focus was also so-so.

IMO these days anyone wanting a camera for MF should forget the classic DSLR and look for anything with an EVF on it. Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus...whatever.

The A65 I use for example has a huge, high resolution EVF, much bigger than any APS-C DSLR OVF. Like the D90 the images snap into focus, but unlike the D90 or any other DSLR the EVF shows you a true and accurate DOF. Not only that but the EVF gain up as light get's dimmer, even if you're shooting with a couple of stacked TC's the view will still be as bright as the scope alone, that helps a lot at slow apertures.
Then there are the MF gadgets, like magnification witch is very useful for static subjects, you really can't miss focus with it if the subject is stopped.
And on top of everything else there's focus peaking, this is IMO the best way to do manual focus, most peaking systems are not perfect yet, but they're still much better than any OVF or any gizmo available for a DSLR.

Remirath, I know this isn't the answer to your question but as a former D90 user and a brief D7000 user, I have to say DSLRs are not the way to go anymore for a scope user, and if your looking for a new body to use with the scope I think you can do better going in another direction ;) JMHO

+1
I am very much inclined to agree with this post.

On a side note: the OMD is small, I agree. The good thing is it is light and hence puts less stress on the setup. The controls are a bit too small for my liking but after I have got used to them I think it is OK.

Hello Fernando

I'm agree with you. I never tested EVF, but with my D90 I dont use focus trap, TRING directly to camera... by other side I will use the scope but for sure I will get a 300 f/4 and prefer to keep my Nikon lenses working... this is the main reason to think about the D7100. On the worst way I will go for a D300s that is strongh enough and completely tested.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back