• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody Try the new Kowa DLSR PA7 Adapter? (1 Viewer)

rjberner

Been playing around with a Nikon V1 and 18.5mm lens setup on my Kowa 883 with fair to good results. However, the noise levels at ISO's above 600-700 are problematic, for me at least.

I'm interested in any comments about direct-coupling a light DSLR to the scope's eyepiece with Kowa's new PA7 adapter. Could get decent ISO performance to 1600 or more unless the effective focal length on the rig is crazy high.

Pros:
One lens on the sensor
25x to maybe 40x magnification with the TZ11

Cons:
????

Been playing around with a Nikon V1 and 18.5mm lens setup on my Kowa 883 with fair to good results. However, the noise levels at ISO's above 600-700 are problematic, for me at least.

I'm interested in any comments about direct-coupling a light DSLR to the scope's eyepiece with Kowa's new PA7 adapter. Could get decent ISO performance to 1600 or more unless the effective focal length on the rig is crazy high.

Pros:
One lens on the sensor
25x to maybe 40x magnification with the TZ11

Cons:
????

I am the Kowa Optics and Digiscoping Consultant in the UK, so have actually used the adapter, here is a link to some pictures taken with it using the new Kowa W/A zoom eyepiece set at 25X Magnification with a Sony NEX5n

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9709467@N05/sets/72157644059614841/

Its lightweight and well made, but due to this type of adapter, you need to make sure that the connection of the adapter and the body and the camera is done in a dust free environement or sheltered at least.

Rgds

Paul

Paul,
Regarding dust free, is this just while you are connecting to the camera or during actual use? In other words while the DSLR is connected to the spotting scope is there the possibility of dust ingress onto the sensor or is it "sealed" once the camera body and scope are mated together? Thanks,
Frank

Paul,
Regarding dust free, is this just while you are connecting to the camera or during actual use? In other words while the DSLR is connected to the spotting scope is there the possibility of dust ingress onto the sensor or is it "sealed" once the camera body and scope are mated together? Thanks,
Frank

Frank

It's just while you are connecting the DSLR body to the adapter, as you say it is kind of sealed, but note that the eyecup still stays on the eyepiece as the adapter fits around it as a snug fit.

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul

Paul,
What would be ideal is if there was a piece of glass at the base of the PA7 that would cause as little degradation in image quality as possible such that when the T2 mount was attached to the PA7 the sensor was no longer exposed to the outside world. I assume from your description that it more of a snug fit with the eyepiece and the base of the PA-7 when you attach the camera-T2 mount-PA7 setup to the scope. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Frank

Paul,
What would be ideal is if there was a piece of glass at the base of the PA7 that would cause as little degradation in image quality as possible such that when the T2 mount was attached to the PA7 the sensor was no longer exposed to the outside world. I assume from your description that it more of a snug fit with the eyepiece and the base of the PA-7 when you attach the camera-T2 mount-PA7 setup to the scope. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Frank

I agree Frank :) but the cost of putting in an FL piece of glass in the adapter would be quite high, as to putting just a standard piece of glass would degrade the image badly.

Yes it is a snug fit but not too tight to take on and off

Rgds

Paul

Thanks so much for the prompt replies. Have a much better understanding of the adapter and appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Frank

Paul,
Did recently find a Novagrade adapter for Nikon that has a T mount with a piece of clear glass with double sided anti-reflective coating that fits over the eyepiece and would allow the sensor to be protected from dust. It is 149.00 and effectively the same price as the Kowa product. It seems Kowa could have added this even if it had to up the price to give the piece of mind that the sensor was protected from dust ingress. Thoughts?

<http://novagrade.com/store/digiscoping_adapters/nikon_camera_adapter>

Paul,
Did recently find a Novagrade adapter for Nikon that has a T mount with a piece of clear glass with double sided anti-reflective coating that fits over the eyepiece and would allow the sensor to be protected from dust. It is 149.00 and effectively the same price as the Kowa product. It seems Kowa could have added this even if it had to up the price to give the piece of mind that the sensor was protected from dust ingress. Thoughts?

<http://novagrade.com/store/digiscoping_adapters/nikon_camera_adapter>

This is my own opinion and not that of Kowa, but i suspect that the prohibitive costs of putting in like for like glass ( FLourite ) into the adapter and then the price charged and then the realisation of how many units would sell is the realistic answer if I was a betting man? my own opinion of course :)

Best regards

Paul

I am the Kowa Optics and Digiscoping Consultant in the UK, so have actually used the adapter, here is a link to some pictures taken with it using the new Kowa W/A zoom eyepiece set at 25X Magnification with a Sony NEX5n

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9709467@N05/sets/72157644059614841/

Its lightweight and well made, but due to this type of adapter, you need to make sure that the connection of the adapter and the body and the camera is done in a dust free environement or sheltered at least.

Rgds

Paul

Hi Paul,

Several posters here and some youtube videos I have found advise that it can be difficult to get great images where there is no camera lens between the scope eyepiece and the camera sensor (like the TE-11WZ/TSN-PA7 combo). Based on your photos on flickr, that is not true - well maybe just for you!

The reasoning stated is that scope eyepieces are not really designed to provide a flat image and photos taken using this method are likely to have high chromatic aberration, and while they may be sharp in the centre there will be blurring toward the edges.

Do you know if there something about the TE-11WZ/TSN-PA7 combo that avoids these issues.

With regard to the topic of no glass at the base of the PA7 to protect the sensor - I have seen some websites indicating that the latest version of the PA7 now has that glass. Could you confirm this?

I am hoping that there are no unavoidable image issues with using the PA7 since it has a great price-point and enables the user to switch from viewing to digiscoping quite easily and quickly. If there are issues then I will probably get a Digidapter since I already have fast lenses for my d-slrs that will work with it.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back