• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4x teleconverter question (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

I am thinking of trying a 1.4x teleconverter between my D70 & Tamron 200-500 zoom. This has left me a little confused. The question is what one do i get? Do i buy a Nikon or a Tamron, or will any make be ok? (sigma for example.) I think i have read somewhere about having to have matched items? I also believe that the AF will not work (not really a problem) & in some cases the metering ceases to work also. Is this the case? If any one has any experience of using such a set up, i would love to hear your thoughts, good & bad.
Thanks in advance Rob B :)

Nikon will be no good - as the AFS TCs won't work and probably won't fit, the manual TCs will not meter with your camera. The Sigma probably won't work either.
Tamron SP or Kenko pro 300 X1.4 converters will work fine (they are identical BTW).

yossi said:
Nikon will be no good - as the AFS TCs won't work and probably won't fit, the manual TCs will not meter with your camera. The Sigma probably won't work either.
Tamron SP or Kenko pro 300 X1.4 converters will work fine (they are identical BTW).
Thanks for the info Yossi, very helpful.
Rgards Rob. B :)

Rob Chace said:
I am thinking of trying a 1.4x teleconverter between my D70 & Tamron 200-500 zoom. This has left me a little confused. The question is what one do i get? Do i buy a Nikon or a Tamron, or will any make be ok? (sigma for example.) I think i have read somewhere about having to have matched items? I also believe that the AF will not work (not really a problem) & in some cases the metering ceases to work also. Is this the case? If any one has any experience of using such a set up, i would love to hear your thoughts, good & bad.
Thanks in advance Rob B :)

----------------

If the Tamron is an AF lens and has a Nikon mount, the TC-14E will work fine as long as the rear element of the zoom is deep enough to avoid contacting the front element of the converter. While a matched set might be cosmetically nice, I'll wager the optics and construction are both superior for the Nikon product. If the AF does not function, it is most likely due to the maximum aperature of F7.1 with the converter on at the 200mm (280) setting and F9 at full zoom of 500mm (700), rather than a compatibility issue between converter and lens brand.

The rangefinder of the D70 is only supposed to work with a max F stop of F5.6 or brighter. I personally sometimes use the TC-14E converter with a Nikkor 800mm F5.6 ED making it a 1680mm F8 lens on my D70, and the rangefinder dot still functions except in the lowest light levels.

To use a TC-14E with a manual lens, you must grind a cam off on the converter (I recommend getting a pro to do the alteration!). After "fixing" the converter it will work with both manual and AF lenses. I have used it successfully with my 300mm f2.8 and 70-200 VR Nikkor AF lenses and the sharpness is amazing for a converter enhanced lens. The D70 meter functions well with both AF lens combinations I mention. An older AI lens such as the 800mm will not work the meter with or without the converter and the camera must be used in Manual mode, or the shutter will not trip. Under any circumstance I would advise the use of a good and preferably heavy tripod for max sharpness with a converter.

Good luck!

Norm

The front element of the Nikon TCs usually protrudes too much and may bump into the rear element of the lens. Physically they are quite wide and do not fit any other lens besides the long AFS lenses.
I have no experience with this specific Tamron lens, so I don't know if they'll match, but the danger of colliding glasses may be too big. After shaving off the tab of the TCs (I have all the three of them) they hardly fit only into the Nikon 80-400VR but from 130-140mm zoom setting onwards. The Kenko and Tamron SP TCs are very good optically, although mechanically they are not built like a Nikon tank.
I was unable to detect any optical quality difference between the Nikon TCs and the Tamron SP/Kenko Pro 300 TCs. The latter support all Nikon and compatible lenses, while the Nikon TC-14,17,20 TCs, even if they'll fit a specific lens - will not allow AF at all - only AFS with the longer AFS Nikon lenses (200mm and higher).

A few links...

yossi said:
The front element of the Nikon TCs usually protrudes too much and may bump into the rear element of the lens. Physically they are quite wide and do not fit any other lens besides the long AFS lenses...
...will not allow AF at all - only AFS with the longer AFS Nikon lenses (200mm and higher).

----------------

It is my understanding that Rob specifically is asking about the 200-500mm lens and the 1.4X combination. The TC-14E II version (or original TC-14E) in particular, protrudes minimally into the rear of a lens. While you are correct that it must be used on a 200mm or higher prime lens, Nikon specifically recommends the converter for the 70-200 VR and 80-200 f2.8D ED-IF zooms (and not the 80-400 VR), and it works at all focal lengths with 70-200 lens including 70mm. Nikon specs also state the TC-14E is compatible with AF-I lenses as well as the AF-S lenses. http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2129. In looking at the Tamron literature for the lens, it appears that the rear element is well within a safe distance from any protruding front element of a TC-14E (at least at the focal length and focus distance the diagram displayed is set at). http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/spec_sheets/200-500mmDi.pdf My guess is (and it is only a guess) that with a lens of that focal length, the elements would never meet between converter and the lens at any setting. As to the interior diameter not handling the front converter element, that is speculation.

The sort of question Rob is asking would be best answered by contacting Tamron and asking if it is compatible, rather than us speculating about a design neither of us is fully familiar with. Their US phone # is 1-800-827-8880. Their European contact information can be found at http://www.tamron.de/Kontakt.7.0.html.

Contacting Tamron is indeed a great idea. I was unable to fit this TC to any non-AFS lens before shaving off the TC tab. Once you shave it off, you'll know if it will work or not, but at that stage - warranty has gone already and you cannot replace it. Catch 22.... With the Tamron/Kenko TCs, you have no problem (and they cost half as much as the TC-14). This was my point.

You should'nt have a problem using a 1.4x but as it's quite a slow lens it will probably be MF only. Having said that, I used a 1.4x with a Tamron 70-300mm which is also f5.6 and retained AF in reasonable to good light.

Update.

Just recieved Kenko pro 300, 1.4x, bought new off ebay for £80 inc p&p.
Had a quick play & found the camera will still autofocus at 500mm f6.3 in rather poor light! (Although slowly.) Cant wait to get out & try it properly in good light. I will post my impressions when i`ve had a good play!
Regards Rob B :)

Rob,

Glad to hear that! I ordered the Tamron 1.4 Pro for $180.00. It should be here next week and I CAN'T wait!!

Lydia :girl:

I think if u tape the connectors (between the TC and the lens ) which send data about aperture readings, the lens will retain AF for any aperture value. I have seen some people do it, but never tried it on my own.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back