• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa (1 Viewer)

Going at easter and using SASOL Birds of Southern Africa as ID guide and SASOL Southern Africa Birdfinder as site guide...Malc

The Sasol, Newmans and the new Roberts are all good. My current favourite is the Roberts. With the Roberts only having been published in late October and the Sasol and Newmans in 2002 the Roberts is more up to date. There is a newer Large Sasol that was published in 2005 but it's a little on the large size to take into the field.

I'm going in November and have been recommended
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Southern-Africa-Princeton-Guides/dp/0691096821/ref=pd_sbs_b_img_3

Which I have - what does anyone think of it ? Should I also get the Roberts? I'll only take one of these.

Have been given for Christmas ( very understanding family/friends I have - tell me to order what I like before Christmas so I gather up money on Christmas Day!)
A video set of Birds of Southern Africa by Guy Gibbon
I had a peek at the first one - video shot of each bird with sound but no comments.

Last edited:
I'm going in November and have been recommended
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Southern-Africa-Princeton-Guides/dp/0691096821/ref=pd_sbs_b_img_3

Which I have - what does anyone think of it ? Should I also get the Roberts? I'll only take one of these.

Have been given for Christmas ( very understanding family/friends I have - tell me to order what I like before Christmas so I gather up money on Christmas Day!)
A video set of Birds of Southern Africa by Guy Gibbon
I had a peek at the first one - video shot of each bird with sound but no comments.
Hi Dryocopus, that's the US (Princeton) edition of the Sasol. It's the third edition so dates from 2002. It's a good guide. I used it as my standard before the new Roberts came out in October. My preference is for the Roberts but that's just personal taste and there could be a little of it being a new toy in that. Having said that, I still really like the Robert's plates and they've been around since 2005.

Hi. I`v ordered the Roberts bird book and having seen one today I know that is the right choice.
Regards baggy2508.
PS Have a very good New Year.

For field work, the Newmans or SASOL are great. For information the older Roberts (?2005 edition?) is better. However the new edition of Roberts is a huge book - magnificent - but not easy to carry in the field.So it might be better to have the earlier edition.

Oh - I see you are talking about the Chittenden Roberts. I can't comment on that one, so maybe disregard my comments!

Last edited:
For field work, the Newmans or SASOL are great. For information the older Roberts (?2005 edition?) is better. However the new edition of Roberts is a huge book - magnificent - but not easy to carry in the field.So it might be better to have the earlier edition.

Oh - I see you are talking about the Chittenden Roberts. I can't comment on that one, so maybe disregard my comments!

I posted a brief comment on the FG version in a separate thread. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=105026

I don't know the full sized book, but much of what my gripes with the FG are, should be very welcome there.

Last edited:
Thanks for that; I feel very ignorant but I have not come across the Chittenden Roberts. The new edition of Roberts(weight over 5kg!) is edited by Hockey, Dean andd Ryan but is more something you would keep at home and use as a reference book. Very interesting, packed with info, but not very portable.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back