• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to forum (1 Viewer)

Hi, my name is Greg Stender and just want to say how much I enjoy seeing all of the bird art being posted here on this forum. What a great idea to have a place where people from all ages can post their artwork showing their desire to study birds and their habitat.

Anyway, here are a couple of my drawings done the other day of Harlequin ducks, what a neat bird. A pencil study sketch of a mountain Quail that I did and used as a pattern to try my hand at woodcarving. Hope you enjoy these drawings of mine here an also check on my log from time to time to see more if you are interested. Today I actually get the day off and plan to spend most of the time in the marsh looking for birds to study.

P.S. How many got to see the eclipse last night?... Pretty cool we had clear sky and good view of it from where I live. I could hear snipe high in the sky during it...birds are now moving through my area on the spring migration hope to see some today. Greg

My artwork web-log
http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/profiles/stender/

Attachments

• 7420.jpg
    7420.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 105
  • 7421.jpg
    7421.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 111
Welcome to birdforum, I hope you enjoy it here.
That is some superb work there, well done. I look forward to seeing more of it on this site in the future. Just had a look at your surfbirds page too, your wood carvings are exceptional, as are your prints and sketches. You have superb talent.

Last edited:
Hi Greg and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

Thanks for posting those pictures - I'll look forward to seeing more work from you

D

Hi Gregory and a warm welcome to you.

I only got to see the very beginning of the eclipse as then I had a large cloud cover :(

Hi Greg and welcome. I really love your work - especially the decoy studies and the Wilson's Snipe - why not tell us a little about your technique?

thanks,
Keith.

Hi Greg, welcome to BirdForum.Enjoy yourself here. Please feel free to join in whenever you feel like it.Great artwork,look forward to seeing some more.

Warmest welcome to you, always great to see a new face here. Love the sketches, esp. the Harlequins, look forward to seeing more in the future also...

Welcome from Albany, OR - a neighbor!! I think you are the third Oregonian in the wildlife art forum! Great drawings and I can't wait to see more. Which marsh did you go spend time in??

Hi Greg,

Welcome to BF - great to see another artist joining in the fun...love your work - carvings are beautiful - the canvasback and drifter prints are superb - I really enjoyed visiting your blog - thanks for the link...looking forward to seeing more...

Thanks everyone I have been on nearly all of the links to see more of your own work and am totally impressed by all. And really enjoy seeing all the post here.

Peter, that is really neat that you are just over in the valley, your work is really good I especially enjoy the waterfowl you do. I bird trek mostly on the coast it bays, dunes and lakes if you are ever over this way please let me know. How are the bird numbers in the valley this year, lots of water I am sure, as here, seems like one storm after another has came through. Greg

Keith, The carvings are done in sugar pine wood, it is very softwood that paints well. I prime and paint with acrylic. I carve with a “chip-knife” with which you can “rough-out” a bird very quickly with, and then I try and paint feather groups rather than lots of individual feathers to keep them more simple.

Snipe are one of my favorite birds to look for, I have had the luck in confirming two Eurasian Jack Snipe (minimus) along our North American coastline that being almost half of the total record in our lower 48 states history. I feel very lucky in this but also I am very president in getting out when the chances are right for spotting one. That translates into getting soaking wet from the rain or from lots of sweat tromping over the bogs. Greg

Greg-
The birds are really spread out with all of the water so they have actually been a bit tougher to find in huge numbers although I am sure there are huge numbers in the valley right now. I was out at William Finley Refuge about a week ago and the main pond was empty!! Unbelievable. The geese are everywhere as usual though and there are a bit more snow geese around this year as compared to past years which is cool.

Peter that report sounds neat.This last fall migration it seemed like I was seeing more than usual number of cacklers and with them I would bet aleutian canada geese. Maybe it was just the weather up north that had more of them moving all at the same time or closer together, but I have heard that both their numbers are up hoping this is the case.

On the coast we should start seeing some of the larger geese along with brant on their spring migration trip, along with the aleutian's that stage and can be seen on the off-shore rock formations around Crescent City. One year I saw three emperor geese along with brant on lower coos bay around this time of year, what a sight that was.

Oregon Fish and Wildlife used to do a one or two day aerial count around the first week of January along the coastline that also included the coquille valley, this was there way of counting wintering bird numbers it was always interesting to see but I am not sure if they still do this or not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back