• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 Focus Knob Rubbing Cleyspy case (1 Viewer)

4John

4John
I've just bought a Cleyspy case for my ED50 and the focus knob is rubbing on it. As the knob is rubber it generates enough friction to be a nuisance when focussing. I've tried re-positioning the case on the scope but no matter what I do I still have the problem. Has anyone else had this problem ?

Mark

Just send it back if you don't like it...whats the point of asking others if you're not happy with it, however its a load better than the "in-focus/opticron" variant which was made for the Opticron IS 50/60 series. Do let us know if you do find something perfect or better meanwhile. Cheers.

Pyrtle,

I agree this is the best on the market at the moment, so I am in no hurry to send it back. However, there were several points to asking the whether anyone else had a problem :

- If this was a common problem then I wouldn't bother to send it back, I would modify it.

- If it wasn't a common problem then perhaps mine has been cut and/or stitched too tight, in which case it would be worth sending it back for a looser one

- Someone else may have had the problem and found a workaround

Mark

I have a Cleyspy case on my ED50 and think it is excellent. True, the cloth round the knob means there is slightly less to get hold of but I hadn't noticed any added friction causing a problem. I don't know how you rotate the knob. I normally grip it between my thumb and forefinger to turn it but I know some people prefer to roll their fingers across the top. In the latter case any additional friction could be a problem.

I'm afraid I can't be any more helpful but I think it is a great product. Few things are 100% perfect but I think this case is about 95% there.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the response. I agree its a very nice case, which was why I was reluctant to give up on it and send it back just in case I was doing something stupid. I am, as you guessed a 'finger roll focusser'. The raised ridges along the focus knob are catching the edging of the cut-out in the case, and intermittently trying to drag the material round to jam it under the knob. This is innevitable, as the cut-out goes diagonally down both sides of the rubber knob. Ideally the cut-out should be clear of the knob, but as you say nothing's perfect !

I've spoken to Cleyspy today, and they are more than happy for me to send it back to try another, just in case I got a tighter cut one (bearing in mind they are assembled by human beings in Thailand). If the replacement is no better I will modify the cut-out in the case to give a better clearance.

I'm still interested to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Mark

I've just bought a Cleyspy case for my ED50 and the focus knob is rubbing on it. As the knob is rubber it generates enough friction to be a nuisance when focussing. I've tried re-positioning the case on the scope but no matter what I do I still have the problem. Has anyone else had this problem ?

Mark

My Cleyspy case for the ED50 is about a year old. I did notice like most new cases it needs time to conform to the scope shape. I do recall some minor friction on the focus knob. But that pretty much went away after the case conformed to the shape of the scope.

Good Luck! its a great case for the ED50.

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7455.jpg
    IMG_7455.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Tvc15_2000

Thanks for that. This is exactly the sort of help I was looking for. The pictures are the icing on the cake.

My case was pretty tight either side and underneath the focus knob. The ribs on the knob were catching the edging on the fabric and trying to drag it round and bunch it under the knob.

I'll see if the replacement is cut any looser, and I will now give it time to stretch and settle down.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back