• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron F-ED Pics (1 Viewer)

I thought I read somewhere the differences between the Celestron Ultima ED and Regal F-ED is in the EP, not the scope body.

Does anyone know about this? It hasn't been mentioned in any of the reviews I have seen.

Wouldn't like to say as Celestron don't even quote the exact glass used on their website. The Regal is clearly the better scope when you compare digiscoped images from both scopes. The Regal has the dual focus that the Ultima doesn't, the supplied zoom eyepiece is very good, plus just being able to choose your own eyepieces from a vast range is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

Paul.

Wouldn't like to say as Celestron don't even quote the exact glass used on their website. The Regal is clearly the better scope when you compare digiscoped images from both scopes. The Regal has the dual focus that the Ultima doesn't, the supplied zoom eyepiece is very good, plus just being able to choose your own eyepieces from a vast range is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

Paul.

Well its the eyepiece thing that concerns me, if what alphan says is correct wouldn't getting a eyepiece downgrade the image quality?

The Celestron Ultima ED is a conventional spotting scope as well, basically the forerunner of the Regal. I think alphan is just saying that the eyepiece supplied with the Regal and the ability to add other eyepieces is the only difference between the Ultima and the Regal. Whether the glass used in the objective lenses and the prism are the same in both scopes is open to speculation.

Paul.

Paul.

Well its the eyepiece thing that concerns me, if what alphan says is correct wouldn't getting a eyepiece downgrade the image quality?

The review I read were based on the original EP as supplied with both Ultima and Regal. I could not ascertain the credibility of the review though.

Yes it is the 20-60X zoom the thread is 25mm just like the Ultima versions.

Just to correct myself there the thread size is 52mm not 25mm sorry my bad :D

might as well post another example of the scope. the picture was taken in low light

Attachments

• Moorhen 003N.jpg
    Moorhen 003N.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 403
Just want to add these two shots, these shots haven't been photoshopped and are test photos I used while trying out a new adapter. These shots come from the Panasonic LS60 a budget camera to say the least

sorry about the size I resized the original files by accident

Attachments

• P1030256.JPG
    P1030256.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 373
  • P1030248.JPG
    P1030248.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 322
I am so pleased that you shared your experience with this particular spotting scope here! The pictures are beautiful!

I have narrowed my choice to either the Regal F-ED 80mm or the 100mm and your pictures and experience with it just about sealed the choice for me! :t:

I am so pleased that you shared your experience with this particular spotting scope here! The pictures are beautiful!

I have narrowed my choice to either the Regal F-ED 80mm or the 100mm and your pictures and experience with it just about sealed the choice for me! :t:

Either size will give you fantastic pictures. Especially for its price

Attachments

• Blue Tit 001N.jpg
    Blue Tit 001N.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 422
  • Blue Tit 002N.jpg
    Blue Tit 002N.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 453
Wow, the detail from those 2 pictures is quite impressive!

After I left my earlier comment, a friend suggested I look into using the telescope, and have been looking at pictures taken with the telescope and dslr combo. Now I am torn! :h?:

Wow, the detail from those 2 pictures is quite impressive!

After I left my earlier comment, a friend suggested I look into using the telescope, and have been looking at pictures taken with the telescope and dslr combo. Now I am torn! :h?:

I think it is really according if you are any good with a DSLR because in the end it is the person behind the camera that will determine the results. Paul Corfield uses a telescope and DSLR combo and if you PM him I'm sure he would be happy to help you with any questions. I have been bugging him for ages about eyepieces and he has been so helpful

Just to correct myself there the thread size is 52mm not 25mm sorry my bad :D

Okay i have to take that back as well, I now have no idea what the thread size is for the Regal eyepiece but I do know it is the same size as the ultima ed scopes if anyone knows what it is please let everyone know ;)

Here is another picture. This photo hasn't been photoshopped and only resized. It shows how much detail the Regal can pick up. The original file is alot better and this had to be lowered to a smaller file size but still good quality

Attachments

• P1030382.jpg
    P1030382.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 356
Great pictures! Well done! Everyone that has tried digiscoping knows how difficult and frustrating it can be, but you obviously master it :)

I just ordered the 65mm Regal, look forward to using it!

ah shucks I wouldn't say I mastered it, you should see me I just take a picture like it was a holiday snap I don't think there is any skill in how I take my pictures :p

Good luck with it! for its price it certainly is worth a look at!

ah shucks I wouldn't say I mastered it, you should see me I just take a picture like it was a holiday snap I don't think there is any skill in how I take my pictures :p

Good luck with it! for its price it certainly is worth a look at!

The detail level and sharpness is just amazing on these pictures! I have seldom seen this good, the scope must really be top notch. Do you use the standard included zoom? And what camera do you use?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back