• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MTS files (1 Viewer)

Dave Hawkins

Dear diary, what a day it's been...
I am new to video, my Panasonic FZ150 takes great HD video for my TV screen but I understand I need a converter for the MTS files to view and edit on a PC.

Can any of you guys recommend a free download to convert MTS and maybe software to do some basic editing?

many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a Panasonic SD90 camcorder that records in the MTS format. My Windows 7 computer has Windows Media Player and Windows Live Movie Maker which can playback and edit these files easily. Did you not receive any editing software on a CD with the camera?

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the magical world of video.

From memory the FZ150 instructions are particularly unhelpful suggesting that you only use SD images on your computer and plug your camera into your HD tv for viewing HD, possibly to avoid having to supply video software. They can defend this approach by pointing out that many computer screens are nowhere near HD resolution so you are not missing anything, and that most Youtube uploads are pretty low resolution.

Some versions of Windows will simply say that it cannot open an M2TS file and go to the web to find a solution, if you ignore this route and simply open the file with Windows Media Player, it will protest but will work in many cases (even in XP).

If you intend to do much HD video work you will be better off in the long run if you buy some editing software , however, as you will see from earlier threads you need significant processing power to get very far in HD so play with an inexpensive package before you decide spend a lot of money.

I am afraid that HD video has been added to many still cameras for marketing reasons in the same way as excessive megapixels for still work, however, it does provide a 'free' way of getting into video and is how I took my first video 'film' so I am in no position to criticise it!

Update My XP machine doesn't play the sound in media player, but will display the images - sorry for being a bit optimistic.

J

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back