• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Resolution Test Results (1 Viewer)

Hi Bawko,

The charts I'm thinking of tested both aberrations and resolution. The resolution test is usually lines per millimetre or line-pairs per millimetre. Basically, ever smaller lines in black and white for high contrast testing and light and dark grey for low contrast.

And, yes, they have to be set at precise distances for each focal length to obtain consistent results. Of course, they're by no means perfect - typically, the distance is something like 30x the focal length of the lens, so that ultra-wide angle lens that you bought for those sweeping landscapes is tested from about a foot away on a two-dimensional subject!

Adey

Bawko,

A most interesting project. I understand it is somewhat difficult to be consistant in doing resolution testing. One method I have seen suggested it to pick that last set of lines that is perfectly sharp without a hint of fuzziness. This gives more pessimistic numbers, of course.

Clear skies, and good resolutions, Alan

Bawko,

First off, what a great idea to devise a system for testing and measuring binoculars in a way that can be reproduced by those interested in comparing their results to yours. Wouldn’t it be nice to see some of the big independent optics marketers using your system down the line?

I have two conflicting thoughts on binocular testing and they are that I value raw data for comparison’s sake, but I also value a smart person’s opinion as valuable in itself, even if my eyes are different and thus see differently.

I guess what I’m saying is that there are ways to eliminate variables and I’ll suggest a few, but once you get your web site up and running, feel free to include your opinion of the view as well. I for one would find that as interesting as the hard numbers.

Since human eyes see differently at different times, the best way to eliminate variables in personal vision would be to conduct the resolution tests several times and average the results (or report the multiple results). Things like smoking, alcohol consumption, length of time in dark settings, stress, level of rest, and general health all impact on the quality of vision one has at any given time.

Your lighting set up seems perfect but once you replace the bulb, there may be a slight change in brightness of the next bulb. It might be worth considering two or three low watt bulbs that get replaced at intervals to maintain consistent lighting.

Again, I think this is a great idea and will be of great value to any one looking to buy or upgrade binoculars. Thanks for the effort.

Joe H

gorank said:
I also think the price is remarkably high for the zeiss 3x12 mono. Is it any good for practical birding in use with binos or scope?

Gorank,

if weight matters or for some other reasons you can´t take a scope on a birding trip, such a adaptable booster is valueable. FOV and also brightness are quite poor comparing to a scope but in special situations it could give you the critical view on details if no scope is available. The usibility of that Zeiss Mono is quite easy with the adapter by Zeiss. You have only to plug Mono and EP together. With the doubler from Swarovski one have to screw off an eyecup and to screw the booster over the EP which takes some more time. If I´d own a Zeiss bino I probably would buy the Mono with adapter. Sometines there are bargains to buy a bino with that booster and adapter together. It is as light and little as it can and fits in every pocket. As I said it has 2 functions for solo use: as a magnifier glass and as a 3x miniscope with a great FOV. Of course it would be also interesting to do the resolution test with every bino and scope.
In former times that little piece of optic in Germany could got by health insurance for no cost if a docter made an attestation for those who had problems with their eyes. Unfortunately those times has gone now :)
I can give you a link of a German hunting magazine: http://www.wildundhund.de/archiv/archiv_beitrag_17908.html

Steve

Last edited:
hinnark said:
Gorank,

if weight matters or for some other reasons you can´t take a scope on a birding trip, such a adaptable booster is valueable. FOV and also brightness are quite poor comparing to a scope but in special situations it could give you the critical view on details if no scope is available. The usibility of that Zeiss Mono is quite easy with the adapter by Zeiss. You have only to plug Mono and EP together. With the doubler from Swarovski one have to screw off an eyecup and to screw the booster over the EP which takes some more time. If I´d own a Zeiss bino I probably would buy the Mono with adapter. Sometines there are bargains to buy a bino with that booster and adapter together. It is as light and little as it can and fits in every pocket. As I said it has 2 functions for solo use: as a magnifier glass and as a 3x miniscope with a great FOV. Of course it would be also interesting to do the resolution test with every bino and scope.
In former times that little piece of optic in Germany could got by health insurance for no cost if a docter made an attestation for those who had problems with their eyes. Unfortunately those times has gone now :)
I can give you a link of a German hunting magazine: http://www.wildundhund.de/archiv/archiv_beitrag_17908.html

Steve

thanks very much for the link, very useful! I will take a closer look at the zeiss booster.

Bawko,

I have one more suggestion about lighting. If you are going to use artificial light I think it would be good to use a "full spectrum" type bulb that comes close to sunlight, particularly at blue/violet wavelengths. Using regular incandescent bulbs with low blue/violet output will cause chromatic aberration to be artificially reduced compared to sunlight.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back