• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Owners (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
As a Leica binoculars owner, have you experienced seal failure and, if so, what was the cause (if known) and the remedy?

As a Leica binoculars owner, have you experienced seal failure and, if so, what was the cause (if known) and the remedy?

Have owned both the Leica 8x32 BN and currently BR... obviously these are older models, not the current HD. I have never experienced a problem, including in heavy rain, extreme cold or snow.

I assume the Allbino's tests have you wondering?

That was pretty shocking to me and it must have Leica pulling their hair out!

I have used different Leica's for about 35 years, also ones that officially were not waterproof (the first Trinovids) and my Leica's never leaked except for a Geovid, which was given to me by the factory for test and investigation purposes and together with the technician responsible for the quality control the cause of the defect was traced, repaired and it did not occur again, so I would certainly buy a new Leica, if I needed one.
Gijs

I have the the 8x20 Ultravid, and I haven't had any problems with rain or when rinsing.

Never dropped it in a pool (yet;)), and haven't had the urge to put it in a bucket with water.

Oh dear, here we go again. My views on my Leicas i.e. they've never leaked, misted up, run off with the milkman or declared global jihad, have already been posted. There is no need to start another thread on 'How bloody awful those 'liars' at Leica are, telling us their binoculars are waterproof when they patently aren't'. The answer to your post if freely, and widely available elsewhere on the site.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello all,

For about two years, I used a Leica 8x32 BN, almost exclusively. Using it, just once, in the rain was almost a disaster: I got soaked, saw few birds except ducks, but the binocular was fine. Waterproofing is still high on my list of desired qualities because it should prevent fungus growth, even if I am a dry weather bird watcher.
As I recall, Leica recommended cleaning by submersion in a basin of water!
I switched to a binocular with better eye relief, dielectric mirrors and better colour rendition. All updates incorporated in the current Leica models.
So I have never had a problem with seal failure on the BN, or my 12x50 BA binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Leica has also served me well

It is unsurprising that the Allbinos test has caused a stir in this forum.
To have Leica flunk a basic reliability test on two separate models is a shock.
It certainly was also a surprise to Arek, the guy who runs Allbinos.

That said, good experiences as noted on this thread are the norm. I can only append two further examples, an 8x32BN performing flawlessly for the past 15+ years in the Canadian bush for my brother and a small 8x20 Trinovid that has been my travel glass for more than a decade.

So I don't think that Leica has a systemic product problem, but they sure have one in their corporate communications. If a recognized tester comes up with an adverse finding, it is the job of corporate communications to find out the circumstances that led to the failure and to then highlight the corporate response. Just taking note of the issue, followed by radio silence is not smart, imho.
Of course, Leica has gone through some turbulent times. This may explain the 'deer in the headlights' corporate response. My guess is that no one is left that has any experience with defective product reports. Having had lots of contact with cost controllers, I know that these roles are among the first to go when times are rough.

I have used different Leica's for about 35 years, also ones that officially were not waterproof (the first Trinovids) and my Leica's never leaked except for a Geovid, which was given to me by the factory for test and investigation purposes and together with the technician responsible for the quality control the cause of the defect was traced, repaired and it did not occur again, so I would certainly buy a new Leica, if I needed one.
Gijs

So, this is two Geovid's leaking now. 200% of all Geovid's seem to leak, based on what I read here...........

Oh dear, here we go again. My views on my Leicas i.e. they've never leaked, misted up, run off with the milkman or declared global jihad, have already been posted. There is no need to start another thread on 'How bloody awful those 'liars' at Leica are, telling us their binoculars are waterproof when they patently aren't'. The answer to your post if freely, and widely available elsewhere on the site.

Chris
If there's a thread please cite it. Thanks.

My pleasure. The thread where your latest post, at 1857 hrs yesterday, is #303.

Chris
That thread is fraught with nonsense. I'm interested in a compendium of feedback from Leica owners.

I will add...
I've used an Ultravid 7X42 since 2004. It's been soaked, banged and abused. It never leaked, fogged or failed to operate as expected.

That thread is fraught with nonsense. I'm interested in a compendium of feedback from Leica owners.

I will add...
I've used an Ultravid 7X42 since 2004. It's been soaked, banged and abused. It never leaked, fogged or failed to operate as expected.

I fear this one is so too. (#8 and probably more to come...)

I use a Ultravid HD 8x42 since 5 years now, about half of the time in the Tropics and the other half in wet Switzerland, often in rain, and I clean it least once monthly under the tap. No problem. To be complete: I've also a Zeiss FL 10x32 (which gets similar but less intensive treatment), a Swaro and a Nikon scope, and no problem with either.

So I don't think that neither of these brands has a systemic problem, but none of them delivers 100% perfect samples neither.

So I don't think that Leica has a systemic product problem, but they sure have one in their corporate communications.

Would be nice to get an offcial statement indeed, but I guess that's just not what companies are doing. I've never seen any major producer comment on a product test, despite similar specatacular failures.

I have 3 but I never use them, or any other binocular, during periods of intense rain. On the other hand if I were to take an Antarctic cruise I would probably take my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN.

Bob

My wife's 8x20 BCR fell into salt water in Hawaii, and was rinsed off at the water faucet ... several times.

Some interesting stuff here about: Leica durability in the field.

One failure does not a disaster make; nor a single mouse fart a hurricane. :smoke:

Ed

Last edited:
I'm now on my third and forth Leicas. No leak or fogging problems, but i've only spent a few hours in the rain or cold at a time. No submersions, fortunately, a Leica man goes down with the ship.

Ron

So, this is two Geovid's leaking now. 200% of all Geovid's seem to leak, based on what I read here...........

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was a little suspect of the Geovid based on the added circuitry for the range finder and my intended use for the Geovid. I knew it would be my "truck" binocular and left out in all temperature extremes because I would use it on the job for range estimation. I am also an avid archery hunter and since my hunting is usually limited to days we are "rained out" at work I knew the Geovid would constantly be subject to inclement weather in pursuit of whitetail deer.

Having purchased the Geovid from B&H and knowing there would be no return problem if a problem developed AND knowing the type of use I planned for the Geovid the first thing I did after a quick glance through it was to submerge it in the kitchen sink for a 30 minute bath. It passed my impromptu test with flying colors and hasn't let me down in three years of hard use in often inclement weather.

Of course all this means is that my particular Geovid is sealed well but then again maybe I'm lucky in binoculars. My original EDG 1 (7x42) has never had a hint of a diopter problem and I've purchased over thirty vintage binos from ebay and only had a collimation problem with one.;)

Steve

Hello,ple

I owned and used, hard in the field in Patagonia, a BA 10x42. From 2000 to 2005. Was a "cherry" sample I think. A perfect optics with outstanding resolution!! And a pleasure to use in every condition! I sold it to buy my FL 10x42, because the better optics, clearly, in the Zeiss. Never a problem!!! I did not inmersed the BAs but they was in extreme temperature changes and rains. Never fogged or failed in every way!!

PHA

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back