• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natura ED (1 Viewer)

It's an interesting combination of features. ED glass, oasis coating , sleek design and a 30 year guarantee. Even if they are Made in China you are getting an awful lot for your money! Can't wait to try them.

Just to clarify, when David and I first talked about the Natura it was to look at a prototype which at the time was out of Japan.

The production planning process has meant that we now have the following scenario. Natura BGA ED are assembled in China using a mix of Japanese and Chinese components. The glass material including the ED glass objectives are all sourced in China, while the body and focus mechanism are manufactured in Japan. Post production testing & quality control is carried out in Japan. Further QC and packing is undertaken in the UK.

Hope that makes things as clear as mud :)

Cheers, Pete

I thought it was a binocular from the Stargate movie 1994. But actually that was Nataru meaning gods.
The binocular used was actually a Rollei U.K. army copy originally made in Taunton I think.

They used Elcan optics in Stargate SG 1.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for explaining that Pete. I'm relieved the difference wasn't just a figment of my imagination. :h?:

David

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when David and I first talked about the Natura it was to look at a prototype which at the time was out of Japan.

The production planning process has meant that we now have the following scenario. Natura BGA ED are assembled in China using a mix of Japanese and Chinese components. The glass material including the ED glass objectives are all sourced in China, while the body and focus mechanism are manufactured in Japan. Post production testing & quality control is carried out in Japan. Further QC and packing is undertaken in the UK.

Hope that makes things as clear as mud :)

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

So, the glass is Chinese, the body is Japanese. The body and focus is sent from Japan to China where the binocular is assembled. It's then sent back to Japan for QC before being sent to the UK. Is that right ?

I've spoken to a few friends about this and they agree - this is marketing baloney. They are made in China and no amount of claims of this or that being made in Japan will change that. I have to say, do they come with a "frequent flyer" ticket considering they are allegedly flying all over the Far East before they land in the UK, haha!

Rangering/Rating
Modell/Model
Forstørrelse/Magnification
Objektiv/Objectivediameter(mm)
Lysstyrke/Relative brightness
Synsfelt/Fieldofview(m/1000m)
Nærgrense/Close focus (m)
Bredde/Width in use (mm)
Lengde/Length (mm)
Vekt/Weight (g)
Prismer/Prisms: Porro/Roof
Vanntetthet/Waterproofing
Gummiering/Rubber armouring
Garanti (år)/Warranty (years)
Oppløsning/Resolution
Kontrast/Contrast
Lysstyrke/Brightness observed
Randskarphet/Field sharpness
Brillesynsfelt/Fieldofvieww/glasses
Robusthet/Construction quality
Pris kr/Price NOK
Kommentar/Comments

Solium,

Just curious why you think that list is useful? I know most of those binoculars pretty well and the only way I can make any sense of the scoring is if you consider the profit value to the author of those models. It's a sales cataloge in my opinion.

David

Radim,

That tells us nothing that validates any testing process.

I appreciate that this a complex issue but I'll try to keep it simple by focussing on a couple of categories. Every one of the binoculars on that list is made to comply with the same resolution standard. It is impossible, even for 'expert photographers' to measure a resolution value with the naked eye, and it's totally obvious from the results they havent't done any scientific testing.

If, and it is a big if, their eyesight was optically perfect, then there is some potential to spot differences in effective resolution. This is is quite a different parameter from instrument resolution. With perfect eyesight, something like 80 to 90% of those binoculars would be eyesight limited and would have to score 100%. For 80% of the population they would all score 100%. Those scores are nonsense.

I should also point out that contrast and brightness scoring are also nonsense for very sound scientific reasons. They have claimed to have made comparisons, which would be utterly impossible practically to do in comparable conditions and miraculously arrived at some aribtrary ranking that roughly correlates with profitability. I think you should disregard that table and all similar ranking 'reviews'.

David

Last edited:
Radim,

You are quite right, but if you take careful note, you will identify those who do understand the limitations of their eyesight, the effect of ambient light on their perception of contrast and brightness and will carefully explain the limitations of their comparisons and preferences. Many don't of course, but that's the nature of things. I would hope that none of the more experienced members would be foolish enough to attempt to rank models like that, but unfortunately I fear there are exceptions.

David

I've spoken to a few friends about this and they agree - this is marketing baloney. They are made in China and no amount of claims of this or that being made in Japan will change that. I have to say, do they come with a "frequent flyer" ticket considering they are allegedly flying all over the Far East before they land in the UK, haha!

Pete Gamby has been frank and open about how the bin is put together and where components are sourced. This is a darn sight more than most brands volunteer and doesn't strike me as any sort of baloney at all.

Lee

Pete Gamby has been frank and open about how the bin is put together and where components are sourced. This is a darn sight more than most brands volunteer and doesn't strike me as any sort of baloney at all.

Lee

Wow, Lee! You are coming to this late.

"Frank and open? Hmm...eventually!

Pete Galvin explains where the binoculars parts are made and where the final assembly and quality control and packing takes place in Post #23 here in.

Petrus disputes this in Post #28 herein.

The ball is now in Petrus's side of the court and he should give his reasons for disputing it.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back