• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats The Meaning Of F , N , Or S Coat ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I am confused ?. When looking at some of Opticrons past, now discontinued binoculars. Such as the Imagic BGA SE 8x32 having " F " type multi - coatings or the Classic BGA 7x36 having " N " type coatings and the DBA Oasis binoculars having " S " type multi - coatings . So what's the difference ? Is one coating better/ brighter than the other ? I am curious because I had the 8x32 Countryman HD 8x32 and it stated having the Oasis prism coatings with no letter labeling.

Last edited:
The use of N, F etc is usually a reflection of the name or type of coating material being used but there is not particularly a classification of good, better, best etc. except that we will use the best coatings currently available for the price point of a particular product at the time we determine it's specification.

For the examples you've given, the N type on the Classic would be of lower performance than the F type on the BGA SE as the latter was put on the market later and at a higher price point.

In the case of the Oasis S-coat designation, the Oasis refers to the prism coating and S to the fully multi-coated optical components' coating. In this case, S type is superior to N and F due to the higher price point and performance of the DBA versus the BGA SE and Classic.

There ya go - clear as mud :)

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back