• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to go closer to house sparrows? (1 Viewer)

Geek.Ideaz

At my bird feeder many sparrows come, but when I go out to take photo they fly, is there any way to get their confidence that we are harmless.

Be patient. I have House Sparrows (currently 18-20 birds) that have nested for years in the ivy at the front of my house and use my feeders in the back garden. They are nervous as hell and don't like movement. After you put food out, get yourself a chair and sit a little way off (you're less of a threat when sitting). Be patient. After a while they'll start to get used to you. Do you have a tripod and one of those cable shutter release gadgets? This way you won't have to move to take photos. Oh and did I mention be patient?
Good luck.

I agree with Egrets' statement. The more they see you the more comfortable they become around you.

We have birds at our balcony feeder that will come within a couple of feet of us if we're not looking at them. The moment that they see you are actually looking at them, that's it, they're off. If my wife is working with her plants, the birds will happily feed very close to her until she turns her head in their direction.

I've noticed it also when out walking, if there's a Blackbird feeding on the grass, they're ok with me walking past until I turn my head and look, then they'll fly off.

A

It's funny, for a species whose success relies so heavily on people, they don't seem to like people that much.

I got my closest views of a house sparrow when my mother hit one with a car, and we had to bring it inside to recover (it was just stunned). I don't recommend this as a deliberate course of action.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back