• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A note: Digiscoping with angled 85T* (1 Viewer)

jekatz

I just bought an angled 85 diascope and I think it is tops. I tried handholding my Sony dsc-W5 camera to the eyepiece and immediately decided to make a hands-free photo adapter with cable release, as the results looked very promising.

Now, a week later, I have what I consider to be a great set-up that I have not tested on birds yet; I have tested it in the yard, and I want to make one note for anyone wondering what digiscoping with a Zeiss 85 is like.

Unlike at least one other high-end scope I can think of, the Zeiss is slightly front-heavy on my bogen 3130 head; if I don't tension the tilt aspect of the head, it will sag forward and point at the ground. But when I affix the camera to the eyepiece, it becomes just slightly tail-heavy, but not too much; with a smaller, lighter camera, it might end up perfectly counterbalanced.

just another reason this could be a fantastic digiscoping scope.

Jon

hi yes i also found front heavy but ok with camera attached,superb scope by the way enjoy it.

regards cressi.

digitalbirdy said:
Jekatz I look forward to seeing details/photos of your home made cable release!

Its not pretty, but it is effective. I use it all of the time- it lets me keep my right hand on the control rod of the tripod head for aiming, while I operate the scope focus and the tension knobs on the tripod head with the left hand.

I bought the materials at the hardware store for less than US$10 and cut and drilled as needed. A strip of rubber loosely epoxied to the aluminum bar between the cable release end and the shutter button does two things: it keeps the shutter button from getting scratched by the thin actuating rod of the release, and it makes pressing the button with the thin actuating rod more effective- my cheap cable release wanted to slide around and press on the domed shutter button crooked if it was not perfectly centered...maybe you'll see what I mean.

I threaded the aluminum bar to accept the tapered cable release with a variety of screws, I forced them to cut into the aluminum until the proper taper and at least a few threads were cut. I then threaded in the cable release, and being quite hard it was able to cut its own threads given a good start.

The clumsy manner in which it attaches to the camera was mostly because I did not have a low-clearance bolt handy.

The adapter has an inner diameter of 60.5mm, allowing me to use it without removing the rubber on the eyecup (diameter 56.5mm, =2mm clearance).

If the photos are not illustrative I will be happy to take more or otherwise answer questions. I made it all with my dremel; that either explains why it looks the way it does or it says great things about dremel, i'll let you decide.

inspiration was derived from Mike McDowel's setup: http://www.birddigiscoping.com/mmswar.jpg

The Savannah Sparrow- while not a particularly colorful bird- made a great subject, and it allowed me the clearest photo i have yet taken.

Thanks for the interest,
Jon

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to attach the photos:

Attachments

• TheKit.JPG
    TheKit.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 549
  • Cable Release.JPG
    Cable Release.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 444
  • SASP.JPG
    SASP.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 544
Brilliant design

jekatz said:

Hi jekatz - brilliant design, well done. I shall start building one this weekend.

Oh I do love home made gadgets - and this one is simple and elegant.

Nice one.

jekatz said:

Can You tell us what size thread you used for the cable release? I have looked hard and have not found a tap, the best I can figure is 5mm pitch 28 threads per inch or something like that, but I cant find anything in the us like that.

PCC said:
Can You tell us what size thread you used for the cable release? I have looked hard and have not found a tap, the best I can figure is 5mm pitch 28 threads per inch or something like that, but I cant find anything in the us like that.

Although I didn't tap this particular one initially, I read that a 4mm thread would work. The local Ace Hardware had two 4mm taps with different thread pitches, I think I used the 0.70mm pitch. I eventually tapped the aluminum bar directly on mine; on a friend's I epoxied a 4mm nut over the hole. Only time will tell which is more permanent...

Don't worry that the tap generates a straight thread but the cable release is tapered- the largest thread on the cable release should bite. If you are kind of gentle with it, that should be all you need.

Good luck-
Jon

Shutter Release Adapter

jekatz said:
Although I didn't tap this particular one initially, I read that a 4mm thread would work. The local Ace Hardware had two 4mm taps with different thread pitches, I think I used the 0.70mm pitch. I eventually tapped the aluminum bar directly on mine; on a friend's I epoxied a 4mm nut over the hole. Only time will tell which is more permanent...

Don't worry that the tap generates a straight thread but the cable release is tapered- the largest thread on the cable release should bite. If you are kind of gentle with it, that should be all you need.

Good luck-
Jon

Thanks, this is the one I came up with, it's one inch thin aluminum bent to shape and wrap around the camera. It has a hole on the bottom where the tripod threaded hole is. I use this with a universal adapter.

Attachments

• Aug06 012.jpg
    Aug06 012.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 221
PCC said:
Thanks, this is the one I came up with, it's one inch thin aluminum bent to shape and wrap around the camera. It has a hole on the bottom where the tripod threaded hole is. I use this with a universal adapter.

Very nice! I like that you can use this with a universal adapter; that should be a very useful design for a lot of folks!

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back