Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 23:35   #25776
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018
 
postcardcv's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 17,050
Nipped over to Lynford yesterday lunchtime - three hawfinch in the paddocks, at least three firecrest in the top part of the arboretum and plenty of siskin and redwing kicking about.
postcardcv is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th December 2017, 15:29   #25777
robinchittenden
Birdline East Anglia. Wildlife photographer/tour guide/eco-surveyor
 
robinchittenden's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 234
GLAUCOUS GULL foraging low over Eaton Park

Norwich GLAUCOUS GULL foraging low over Eaton Park. Headed NW at 3pm 20th December 2017
robinchittenden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 10:39   #25778
hwinbermuda
Registered User
 
hwinbermuda's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 146
Happy New Year everyone.
Please can anyone direct me to an updated birdlist for Norfolk?
I am thinking about keeping a yearlist for the first time in 20 years, but haven't found a definitive list for the county.
Thank you
Harry
hwinbermuda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 12:44   #25779
James Emerson
Norwich Birder
 
James Emerson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norwich
Posts: 934
Hi Harry.

I'm unaware of an uptodate Norfolk bird list online. The most recent published one was 'Checklist of the birds of Norfolk' by Keith Dye and Mick Fiszer, a small green book published as an occasional publication by NNNS and still available in visitor centre gift shops I think. Whilst it won't have the most recent additions it should be fine to keep a Norfolk year list in.

As the BOU have just adopted the IOC list (sorry for the acronyms) there will be a few changes now, for example Taiga and Tundra Bean Geese being elevated to species. More complicated splits are things like Isabelline Shrike - I think most of the Norfolk records are likely to relate to Daurian Shrike, but haven't actually been accepted by the BBRC as such so might, at least temporarily, come off the list proper and be included only as either/or.

If I get round to it I might put together an updated list, in which case I'll post it here.

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwinbermuda View Post
Happy New Year everyone.
Please can anyone direct me to an updated birdlist for Norfolk?
I am thinking about keeping a yearlist for the first time in 20 years, but haven't found a definitive list for the county.
Thank you
Harry
__________________
http://jamesbirdsandbeer.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Norwichbirder
James Emerson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 13:16   #25780
hwinbermuda
Registered User
 
hwinbermuda's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 146
Thank you James.
I have the Checklist, and will use that for now.
Best regards
Harry
hwinbermuda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th January 2018, 18:51   #25781
RonMac
Registered User
 
RonMac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 108
nice to find this lone waxwing at Strumpshaw Fen in the rain early this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01088a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	804.1 KB
ID:	650401  
__________________
Flocks of birds are flying in the clear twilight, leading the travelers who came from distant places. ~ Du Fu
RonMac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 8th January 2018, 20:12   #25782
string boozel
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: northants uk
Posts: 756
Not quite stop press but three Purple Sandpipers were showing well at Sheringham yesterday. They were sleeping on the rocks close to the to museum.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	759.7 KB
ID:	650704  Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	650705  Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	790.1 KB
ID:	650706  Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	650707  
string boozel is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 09:32   #25783
gordon hamlett
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 536
There was a massive displacement of geese in North Norfolk in last night's fog (January 10th/11th). I heard a few Pinkfeet flying over our house on the Briston/Melton Constable border (about ten miles from the North Norfolk coast) at 5.45 pm when my wife returned from work. This was nothing unusual, but the birds were a bit late as it had already been dark for an hour.

As the evening progressed, the fog thickened, with visibility down to about 30 yards. We could hear geese over the house all the time, getting lower and lower, down to almost rooftop level. Peak numbers were between 8-9pm. At 11pm, the geese were still circling, and calling madly as they tried to find a flock on the ground.

Other species got tied up in this disorientation too, with a couple of Brent Geese also recorded (second record in 13 years) and a lone Barnacle Goose yapping away, a most unexpected garden tick. OK, so it was probably a feral bird from Holkham Hall, (15 miles away) but who's counting.

Birds were still calling at 1, 2 and 3am. By 5am, the fog had thickened so much that visibility was down to about ten yards. The geese had seemingly moved on, with just one solitary Pinkfoot still in the area. Whether they were the same geese circling all night, or a steady throughput of new geese arriving it’s impossible to say, though I suspect the former. By 7am, the fog had lifted but even then, there were still a few geese 'wink-winking' overhead, over 13 hours after they had started calling.

From information received so far, this displacement was noted from Fakenham, through Briston to Corpusty, a distance of about 13 miles. It was also noted at Thornage though I suspect that the fog went all the way down to the coast as the geese were unable to escape its clutches.

This gives a tentative fog blanket of about 130 square miles but it could easily be two or three times this. I would be grateful if anyone could extend this range with their own observations.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
gordon hamlett is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 11:50   #25784
nigelt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sheringham, Norfolk
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon hamlett View Post
........... I would be grateful if anyone could extend this range with their own observations.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Very interesting. I didn't hear anything over Sheringham during the hours of darkness, although there was a small flock very low, but still only barely discernible, around 10am. I have observed this in the past over the town, going on for hours, and I assumed it was the same flock circling round. They must have been pretty exhausted by the time they eventually found somewhere to land.
nigelt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 14:08   #25785
sacha
Registered User
 
sacha's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 623
Hi Gordon,

It has been the same further inland and we have been discussing in local 'forum' groups how the fog has been affecting the Pink-feet in Wensum Valley. For last few days at night there have been small groups of 'lost' birds calling at night and early morning this morning I could still hear some flying around in fog/mist.
Never big numbers in the area and groups seem to have been smaller birds looking for larger flocks / trying to re-orientate themselves .. seems they really do get lost in the fog !

Sacha
__________________
Latest World: Siberian Accentor (2206). Latest (BOU'ish) UK: Cliff Swallow (461). Latest Norfolk tick : Ring-n Parakeet . Latest Rarity/scarce find: Red-b Shrike Blakeney Pt 2017
http://twitter.com/sachab71
sacha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 18:56   #25786
James Emerson
Norwich Birder
 
James Emerson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norwich
Posts: 934
Hi Gordon.

I was indoors last night so can't say if any passed over my house (north Norwich) then, but a small flock flew over east this morning (c07:20), the first time I've recorded any here this winter.

James
__________________
http://jamesbirdsandbeer.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Norwichbirder
James Emerson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 19:53   #25787
hwinbermuda
Registered User
 
hwinbermuda's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 146
I think we qualify as mid-Norfolk, halfway between Great Yarmouth and Lynn; halfway between Stiffkey and Garboldisham, just away from the Wensum near Swanton Morley... Haven't heard any geese overhead for a couple of weeks, and then only about 20.
hwinbermuda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 20:17   #25788
gary wright
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 5
Hi Gordon,
Pinkfeet were over Aylsham throughout the night also. 9, 10, 11 pm at least. I have heard them like this in the fog in the past, and like you have had brents in the past, but not on this occasion.
gary wright is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 18:56   #25789
crapbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: norfolk
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon hamlett View Post
There was a massive displacement of geese in North Norfolk in last night's fog (January 10th/11th). I heard a few Pinkfeet flying over our house on the Briston/Melton Constable border (about ten miles from the North Norfolk coast) at 5.45 pm when my wife returned from work. This was nothing unusual, but the birds were a bit late as it had already been dark for an hour.

As the evening progressed, the fog thickened, with visibility down to about 30 yards. We could hear geese over the house all the time, getting lower and lower, down to almost rooftop level. Peak numbers were between 8-9pm. At 11pm, the geese were still circling, and calling madly as they tried to find a flock on the ground.

Other species got tied up in this disorientation too, with a couple of Brent Geese also recorded (second record in 13 years) and a lone Barnacle Goose yapping away, a most unexpected garden tick. OK, so it was probably a feral bird from Holkham Hall, (15 miles away) but who's counting.

Birds were still calling at 1, 2 and 3am. By 5am, the fog had thickened so much that visibility was down to about ten yards. The geese had seemingly moved on, with just one solitary Pinkfoot still in the area. Whether they were the same geese circling all night, or a steady throughput of new geese arriving it’s impossible to say, though I suspect the former. By 7am, the fog had lifted but even then, there were still a few geese 'wink-winking' overhead, over 13 hours after they had started calling.

From information received so far, this displacement was noted from Fakenham, through Briston to Corpusty, a distance of about 13 miles. It was also noted at Thornage though I suspect that the fog went all the way down to the coast as the geese were unable to escape its clutches.

This gives a tentative fog blanket of about 130 square miles but it could easily be two or three times this. I would be grateful if anyone could extend this range with their own observations.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
This bird was found wandering in the street at Little London, Corpusty at about 1900hrs on 10th January. Kept overnight in a local stables and released at NWT Cley the following morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040423-001-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	651194  
crapbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 21:15   #25790
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018
 
postcardcv's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 17,050
A half decent pre-roost starling flock in Swaffham today. Link to a dodgy iPhone video to give an idea of numbers, very nice to watch. https://youtu.be/CDmZXSwSOkc
postcardcv is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 10:44   #25791
coolbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 26
Morning all. Can anyone let me know whether there are any remaining Bewick’s Swans in the Broads and where might be the best location? Thanks in advance.
coolbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 13:00   #25792
James Emerson
Norwich Birder
 
James Emerson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norwich
Posts: 934
Unfortunately you're probably a few days too late, they seem to have been leaving this week. Based on sightings from Twitter, people have only been seeing a few Whooper Swans in places like Ludham and Halvergate where both species were present recently. 28 were still at the east end of Breydon this morning, so if you are already here then that would probably be your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbirder View Post
Morning all. Can anyone let me know whether there are any remaining Bewick’s Swans in the Broads and where might be the best location? Thanks in advance.
__________________
http://jamesbirdsandbeer.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Norwichbirder
James Emerson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 14:07   #25793
coolbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emerson View Post
Unfortunately you're probably a few days too late, they seem to have been leaving this week. Based on sightings from Twitter, people have only been seeing a few Whooper Swans in places like Ludham and Halvergate where both species were present recently. 28 were still at the east end of Breydon this morning, so if you are already here then that would probably be your best bet.
Thanks for the information James. I’m coming down next weekend so might well be too late I guess.
coolbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Birding in Tokyo Charles Harper Japan 17 Tuesday 2nd August 2011 14:59
ALASKAN BIRDING FROM A CRUISE SHIP: part 1 - Introduction HelenB Vacational Trip Reports 17 Sunday 21st September 2003 14:04



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.28060508 seconds with 29 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:14.