• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

Connor,
There are those that would argue there isn't a self-supporting population in the Brecks any more either!
They seem to be going the same way that Lady A's have

Chris

Talking of such pheasants, what is the status these days of the Wolferton Triangle birds in terms of numbers. I seem to remember a report of one a few days ago but apart from this I haven't heard anything for some time. As I am coming over to Norfolk/Lincolnshire again in Feb on one of these super cheap £19 a night Travel Lodge deals, I will be doing a bit of travelling in the area. Thanks for any information. Happy New Year to all Norfolk birders and good birding in the county and beyond in 2009.

At least 4 still in the area though as normal very elusive - although seem to have been getting easier in the last few weeks. Whether or not they are hybrids, well again,depends who you talk to...

I see a Black-bellied Dipper was seen on Monday! Would have been nice to know about since I dipped the Glandford one about 15 times. However, it would not have made any difference to my year list as I fell short of the record by 3 species!

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to have another go this year!
So all of you who helped me out during 2008, thank you and if you can keep the information coming, I'd very much appreciate it for 2009 (you know how discrete I can be!)

Good Birding All in 2009, whether patching or twitching, here is to a harmonious new year!

At least 4 still in the area though as normal very elusive - although seem to have been getting easier in the last few weeks. Whether or not they are hybrids, well again,depends who you talk to...

Connor,
Thanks for that. I will take a look when I am that way.

Anyone know if the shop at Titchwell is open on New Years Day? I have some Christmas and birthday money to dispose of.

Thanks,

Hugh

Thanks Roger. Some of the cash has to go on taking the wife out for lunch so its not all buying books and birding.

Thanks again,

Hugh

a happy new year and even before my absinthe induced hangover has even begun to subside a spot of controversy to kick off the new one - possible Little Shearwater flew east past Sheringham @ 8.40 thou distant.

for a start it wasn't me and i havent been down there yet so i don't know who has reported it. I remember going down there this time last year and there were a few of us so i'm guessing (hoping) that this was more than a single sighter. I also know at least one top notch birder has recently flown in, so i'm in no position to dismiss this report straight out. However this is a big bird to claim and the 'thou distant' bit bothers me. We all get lots of birds throughout the year that we can't positively ID and you've just got to bin them. I'm purely speculating here but a distant Shearwater in calm conditions like it is today would look fluttery and be keeping low to the sea. To even claim a possible i would want to see a silvery panel on the mid wing and white tips to the wing coverts, a 'white face' would not be enough because of the massive variation you get with Manxies. I'd only ever claim one as well if it was multi-sighter and there were Manxies about for direct comparison, i'd need to see it close too.

It always seems a taboo subject to question sightings if you were not invloved in the finding and i'm sure this may ruffle a few feathers but i am entitled to this opinion.

to be fair thou this news was put out immediately which has given birders further east every possible chance of connecting with it.

Last edited:
absinthe "makes the sightings better"

We all get lots of birds throughout the year that we can't positively ID and you've just got to bin them. Wot, the sighting and record!

to be fair thou this news was put out immediately which has given birders further east every possible chance of connecting with it. No further sign yet in what were/are quite calm conditions though the sighting was at high tide

Happy and bird filled New Year Pom mate!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Went for a walk around UEA this morning, not much about, but a male Goosander on the broad, briefly joined by another male around midday.

James

Hawfinches fairly easy (well, for hawfinch anyway) to see around car park at Felbrigg Hall today. Also there - 1 female Mandarin standing on ice with Mallards and plenty of Water Rail caliing from the reeds.

Cley was fairly quiet - L Egrets, Ruff, Bl T Godwits etc

As for the reported shearwater. I agree with Pom Skua's comments about claiming a distant Shearwater on a calm day. I saw Little Shear last year from the Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry. They are distinctive when seen close up. Flying in 'Common Sand' way alongside the ship. However a distant bird flying past N Norfolk is a brave claim.

I think there have been recent reports of Balearic Shears wintering around the UK coastline - that sounds more likely to me! If there is anyone on the forum that knows more about the sighting today it would be good to hear what the description/view was like.

I hope we all have a bird filled 2009

Black-bellied Dipper site

Hope everyone had a productive start to the New Year. I had a wander around Houghton St Giles this afternoon in an enjoyable (but admittedly fruitless) search for the Black-bellied Dipper. I hope this info might be useful in case anyone is going to try.

As you can probably see from the OS map, there are two fords in the village (southern one at GR 922 354 and the northern one at GR 924 356). The southern one is near the car park for the Slipper Chapel, which is off the minor road from N. Barsham to Houghton St Giles. There's room for a couple of cars on the grass verge on the east side of the northern ford, which is accessible from the road from Houghton to the Walsinghams. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive anything other than a 4w-drive or high clearance car through either ford!

It's not that easy to see the river in its entirety through the village, but you can get glimpses if you walk along the minor road on the west side (the one past the Slipper Chapel). The very southernmost and northernmost bits of the river Stiffkey through the village mostly have grassy banks and don't automatically scream Dipper habitat. But there is a tasty section from the northern ford going north towards Walsingham. The road runs right along the river and the banks look more suitable with more perching places, overgrown tree roots, exposed 'shore' etc. There's also some likely looking droppings in various places but it may be wishful thinking on my part to be sure they're of Dipper origin!

We didn't wander too far in either direction as daylight faded in the end but in a couple of hours we did get Kingfisher and a Green Sandpiper (the latter from the bridge at GR 927 358 just north of Houghton St Giles). It looked as if it might be possiblet to get the extra height needed to view the invisible bits of the riverbank from the footpath along the old railway line, just west of the village but didn't get time to try that. If anyone wants any more info or any of the above is as clear as mud, feel free to contact me.

All in all, an enjoyable rummage in a village / river area I've never visited before. We were the only birders there this afternoon so we could easily have missed stuff. Shall keep trying for the Dipper (if only to catch up with a bird which I managed to miss 10 times last year, but both Connor and Ray Roche saw, as they've not stopped reminding me since!)

A morning at Salthouse for the Glaucous Gull, plus the Hawfinches at Felbrigg started off the day nicely. Although we had a Mandarin-less lake and were obviously so preoccupied with watching the water that we failed totally to notice a Little Owl sitting in a tree apparently!

Irene

Good to have you on board Irene. I spent a couple of hours there in the morning and you did better than me! Just three others looking whilst I was there! Plenty of river, but nothing that really stuck out to me as a place that would keep a dipper.
(did you return to Felbrigg in the afternoon or am I just imagining it!)

David (we bumped into each other a number of times at Glandford!)

Good to have you on board Irene. Plenty of river, but nothing that really stuck out to me as a place that would keep a dipper.
(did you return to Felbrigg in the afternoon or am I just imagining it!)

Thanks - hope to be able to concentrate a bit more on birding this year than I managed last year. Nope, wasn't me at Felbrigg in the afternoon. Stayed till dusk at Houghton, so it must have been my double (a fairly frightening thought!).

Agree about the not so obvious Dipper habitat, although I haven't really explored much of this river at all.
Irene

I don't quite know how I managed to arrive at Wolverton at 7.45am this morning, but I did!!!!!! Dipped on golden pheasant (again!) but even though it was a dull, freezing day with no sun I was quite pleased to see 82 species, ending with woodcock and tawny owl, but did not quite beat last new year's day with 84 species!

After Wolverton, P. and I went to the Sandringham bird table, then onto Hunstanton via a road near Sherbourne where we saw the biggest EVER numbers of pinkfooted geese in a beet field I have ever witnessed, the sight was awesome. Saw 3 different barn owls! Ticked fulmar etc at Hunstanton, 2 long tailed duck at Holme etc and 3 red breasted mergansers at Titchwell etc. Highlight of the day was a unexpected grey wagtail flicking about on Old Hunstanton Church!!!!!!!!! BUT unbelievably we did not see a pied wagtail!!!

1. Robin 2. Blackbird 3. Carrion Crow 4. Collard Dove 5. Jackdaw
6. Barn Owl 7. Pheasant 8. Pink Footed Geese 9. Wood pigeon
10. Great Spotted Woodpecker 11. Great Tit 12. Hedge Sparrow
13. Common Gull 14. Curlew 15. Goldcrest 16. Blue Tit 17. Chaffinch
18. Jay 19. Coal Tit 20. Magpie 21. Starling 22. Goldfinch 23. Greenfinch
24. House Sparrow 25. Long tailed tit 26. Rook 27. Lapwing
28. Red Legged Partridge 29. Black Headed Gull 30. Linnet
31. Great Black Blacked Gull 32. Song Thrush 33. Oystercatcher 34. Mallard
35. Herring Gull 36. Turnstone 37. Fulmar 38. Brent Goose
39. Great Crested Grebe 40. Mistle Thrush 41. Golden Plover 42. Moorhen
43. Grey Wagtail 44. Fieldfare 45. Redwing 46. Kestrel 47. Wren
48. Wigeon 49. Heron 50. Shoveler 51. Teal 52. Pochard 53. Snipe
54. Reed Bunting 55. Stonechat 56. Bar Tailed Godwit 57. Ruff
58. Redshank 59. Dunlin 60. Sanderling 61. Grey Plover 62. Ringed Plover
63. Little Grebe 64. Tufted Duck 65. Water Rail 66. Coot 67. Marsh Harrier
68. Canada Goose 69. Greylag Goose 70. Shelduck 71. Long Tailed Duck
72. Grey Partridge 73. Little Egret 74. Pintail 75. Avocet 76. Goldeneye
77. Eider 78. Cormorant 79. Red Breasted Mergansers 80. Bearded Tit
81. Woodcock 82. Tawny Owl

Best wishes
Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hi.

Managed to get a half decent days birding in today. Headed from Dereham out towards Kings Lynn way, Hunstanton, Titchwell, then worked our way back to Fakenham and ended up at Sparham. Managed 97 species in total.

Of all the birds seen my Highlights were:

3 Hen Harriers (2m, 1f).
2 Merlin.
Slavonian Grebe.
Jack Snipe.
Corn Bunting.
Ruddy Shelduck.

Happy new year to you all.

Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back