• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Seawatched from Holme again this morning from 7:25 to 9:10. Highlights were:
Gannet- 43
Great Skua- 2
Arctic Skua- 3
Manx Shearwater- 1
Red throated Diver- 4
Red breasted Merganser- 2
Also a Yellow Wagtail flew along the beach. Then went to Titchwell and saw one of the Jack Snipe from the fen hide, whilst another flew past the hide and landed somewhere nearby. Unfortunately then had to leave Norfolk and go home after a good weekends birding.
Max

After cycling back and forth to work today twice, doing a 5 hour shift, going home, coming back and doing a 6 hour shift I have had it!!! BUT have a day's holiday tomorrow and am going out on earliest available bus (which isn't early enough!) to go birding - watch the pagers!!!;):-O

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

More Promising

by now I reckon most are sated with seabirds (although I think I talked myself out of seeing a Sabs Gull) weather conditions look more promising this week, with some SE, E's and NE, a small high over Scandanavia Tues, long range highs throughout the week, coupled with the fact its early Oct, passerine finding hat on please everybody.

If you do decide to walk from UEA it's a nice stroll covering some pretty spots. Unlikely to get any rarities but a good way of getting a year list started. From the Broad head off to Eaton via the footpath that leads out from the dragonfly pond. (This is your best bet for lesser-spotted in Norwich - which isn't saying much, I've only managed it once in the last four years.) At Eaton cross the road and continue down past the supermarket. At the end of the road you'll find a footpath. Just off this path on your right you will find Marston Marsh LNR, which you can walk round and return to the footpath further down . At the end of the path is Danby Wood LNR. Cross the road and walk down to the hotel and turn left. At the lights turn right and go down to the railway bridge. At this point you have a choice: turn left down the Lakenham way to Queen St, then turn right and walk down to the County Hall roundabout and cross into Trowse; or go under the bridge. If you go under then at the bottom of the road there's the lane to Cooper's Wood LNR to your right as a possible detour. Turning left round the corner continue to the next right. Follow this down to the end and turn right. (There's an interesting bit to your left just down here that you can walk round that goes along the river and back along the mill leet). Just over the railway bridge there's a footpath to your left. This leads you into the damselfly way via the field that once held the Arminghall Wood Henge. At the bottom of the way you're in Trowse and your two possible routes combine. Walk into Trowse till you come to the village sign. To your right, behind the church is Trowse Church LNR, to your left is Trowse Flower Meadow. Go down the lane here. About 150 yards in to your right is Trowse Woods, but continue down for Whitlingham Broad.

In a couple of years time there will be a footbridge from whitlingham over to Cary's Meadow, but for now (if you are feeling very fit) you can follow the road past Whitlingham till you come to the flyover for the outer ringroad. Just to your left here is the entrance to Whitlingham Marshes. Go up and use the flyover to get you across the river. At the roundabout head left into Norwich. At the traffic lights where you can turn right into Thunder Lane you will see a turning to the left (also called Whitlingham Lane) which will lead you down to Thorpe Marshes and gravel pit. There's a circular walk here but it's very muddy in winter and sometimes under a foot of water in places. Carry on down the road into Norwich till you come to the Broadland council offices. Just opposite here is the entrance to Cary's Meadow.

Carry on to Norwich station (past the Dell and Rosary Cemetary), turn right and follow the river, past Cow Tower, til you reach Magdelen street. Cross the bridge and turn left. At the T junction turn right, then at the bottom turn left. Follow along till you come to the roundabout at the bottom of Grapes Hill. Just in front of Halfords is the start of the Riverside Way, which will get you to Anderson's Meadow. Just past here is the Wensum LNR and the Sweet Briar Marshes incidently. Leave the way at Anderson's across the inner ring road bridge at the far end. Walk up the road opposite marked no entry to cars. At the end and slightly to your left is a road going up the hill. This will lead you, past the Cemetary (site of the first Norfolk record of Bombus hypnorum this year) to the fiveways roundabout and back to UEA.

(There's a longer option that involves staying on the marriotts way to Gunton Road park in Costessey and then returning via the Southern Millennium Green LNR in Bowthorpe and Earlham Church Marsh if you're feeling super fit - but I've only done that once and I couldn't walk the next day!)

What a great post HarassedDad. You've put a great deal of work and thought into it and it looks like a definitive guide to the area to me. Is it worth posting it in a separate thread with its own heading somewhere where it can be found more readily?

Ron

Last edited:
I was thinking exactly the same thing. A definitive guide it may just be and one I will be making use of once I move back to Norwich this winter.
Cheers,
Jim

Titchwell October 5th

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 2 showing very well from Island Hide
Purple sandpiper - 1 on beach
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Snow bunting - 40 on beach
Ruff - 78 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 8 on reedbed pool
Swallow - 3 late birds over the reserve

Paul

Hopefully this is just the calm before the storm (birdwise), but little to report from the east end of Sheringham G.C. in a quick stroll late p.m. although i did manage to pish out a Firecrest. Thanks for the tip Josh 3:). Attached photo is of West Runton cliffs looking rare this morning. Perhaps the eagle-eyed amongst us will spot what is lacking in the photo. I will post the answer later on. As you can tell i`ve nothing better to do with my time at the mo.

Attachments

• W.Runton 1.JPG
    W.Runton 1.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 124
Anybody seen any barnacles??!On Friday morning first thing, there were 28 flighty Barnacle Geese at Buckenham. The flock also included a Barnacle x something white (eg snow goose) hybrid. Whilst I assume they are feral, at the slightest disturbance they took off and flew around for a while before coming back in unlike the resident Egyptian-Greylag-Canada flock which couldn't care less. Also, I note there have been quite a lot of Barnies down the east coast last week...
Does anybody know if there are any big flocks of unringed Barnacles around? Having come from Beds-Cambs where there is a big feral flock (many with rings) I realise that a captive origin may be more likely. A fine sight either way.

SKUAS
To add my two penneth to this, I birded Grafham Water, Cambs, for several years up to May this year. Whilst spring skuas were mega, autumn skuas were regular, and would turn up in all sorts of weather, including fine, sunny calm conditions. Therefore, I would suggest that they do go through in all weather conditions, usually following the Nene, then cutting southwest following the valley trough between the Cotswold ridge to the north, which just about reaches Northants, and the southern ridge of the Chilterns. Both od which are visible I suspect from Grafham if you are in the air. If you look at a map, these two ridges run roughly from Beds/Northants down towards the Severn. I imagine that skuas do use navigational cues and this forms an obvious feature. This is just my theory however, and maybe rubbish!

Most skuas I have seen have gone straight down the reservoir and away over the land to the southwest, almost without fail. They occasionally hit the southwest corner and circle around for a bit, but they soon head off confidently. One memorable day I was birding with Mark Hawkes who picked up an Arctic Skua coming across the reservoir which circled up and to our amazement joined another 4 which we had not noticed! (Remember, skuas at inland sites are v exciting!!). I have never seen any go off in a different direction in autumn. On the day Brian mentioned earlier, when Mark Hawkes et al saw over 100 skuas go over Foul Anchor (3rd Oct 2008), I shot down to Grafham after work and had 6 Arctics belting along the north shore of the res and off southwest. Though by this time there was good visibility, the birds were assumed to be keeping low to keep out of the strong winds.

Skuas turning up at Grafham in the autumn frequently arrived at lunchtime onwards, suggesting they loafed in the Wash until early morning then headed off downstream, with the first birds going through Grafham at midday. Birds seen earlier than this are presumed to have arrived late the previous day and roosted (as has been observed a number of times). Most skuas turning up in reasonable weather never hang out, which is why mostly they are seen only by the finders and other birders who are on site at the time. There are other records associated with poor weather and these are usually the twitchable individuals that stay for a while as they are knackered, but I really think that most of the time, skuas are intentionally using the Wash-Severn route, presumably to cut the SE corner off. I also think this could be the same for other species, notably Common Scoters, which turn up regularly at Grafham in such numbers that I can't believe they are turning up by chance.

A lot of work has been published in Cambs Bird Club reports over the years and on the internet. I have also read stuff about what is going on at the other end, ie the Severn, where birders regularly see skuas heading upriver in spring. Sadly, as mentioned above, skuas turning up in spring at Grafham are very rare, and I suspect by the time they get to that neck of the woods, they can see the Wash and continue at altitudes too high to see them. If only we had radar!

In the skua book, referenced earlier, it does talk about skuas from breeding grounds in Siberia, heading directly south over the Russian landmass into the Indian Ocean. There is also a paper on the internet somewhere which talks about scientists tracking overland movement by skuas and other birds using radar. I will try and find it...

Sorry if you have all nodded off by now!
;-)
Jono

Holkham, Burnham Overy Dunes all day

Arrived Holkham 9.23am after 2 very long bus rides!

1 Chiffchaff, 2 pied wags flitting about, robins and tit flocks all in the garden next to bus stop! Definately a buzz in the air this morning.

Walking down Lady Anne's Drive there were thousands of pinkfeet on the marsh. About half way down on the right by a 5-bar gate I watched lots of blue tits, great tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, chaffinches, robins, 2 mistle thrushes and a massive flock of at least 60 greenfinches.

Walked straight to the beach initially and watched lots of pied wagtails flitting about in the watery pools left by the tide along with meadow pipits. 9 shelduck flew on off sea. The sun came out briefly followed shortly after by grey skies for the rest of the day mixed with a few intermittent spots of rain.

In the pines west of the main track in a clearing were 2 mistle thrushes, 1 treecreeper, 1 great spotted woodpecker, chiffchaffs, loads of goldcrests, robins, chaffinches and again great/blue, coal and long tailed tits.

Walked back to path junctions and walked east along the main path - 1 reed warbler, chiffchaffs, few goldcrests. Not alot else! A green woodpecker in the dunes. Lunch on a dune and short snooze! 4 stonechats together on brambles on the marsh at the end of the pines (well I could only see 3 initially but someone;) insisted there were 4 and ok they WERE right;);).

Back at the crosstracks by Joe Jordan Hide was a flurry of birds and birders;), goldcrests, long tailed tits and 1 stonking Firecrest with ring on left leg picked up by M.G. (4pm), also female blackcap here and another treecreeper.

After that everything was quiet apart from a jay - no new year ticks today!

Caught 5.46 bus back to Lynn arriving 7pm - walk for half an hour - very, very tired!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Anybody seen any barnacles??!On Friday morning first thing, there were 28 flighty Barnacle Geese at Buckenham. The flock also included a Barnacle x something white (eg snow goose) hybrid. Whilst I assume they are feral, at the slightest disturbance they took off and flew around for a while before coming back in unlike the resident Egyptian-Greylag-Canada flock which couldn't care less. Also, I note there have been quite a lot of Barnies down the east coast last week...
Does anybody know if there are any big flocks of unringed Barnacles around? Having come from Beds-Cambs where there is a big feral flock (many with rings) I realise that a captive origin may be more likely. A fine sight either way.

There is a feral flock of Barnacle Geese at Buckenham, of anything up to 50 birds in winter. There is also a Snow Goose in the area, and I saw a Bar-headed Goose with them in 2008! There is another 20+ in the Hickling/Heigham Holmes area, a small population at Holkham, and another flock at Snettisham, complete with Barnacle x Ross' Goose hybrids. I don't remember any of the feral Barnacles I've seen being ringed, but I've usually seen them feeding at a distance, so may have overlooked some. Because of these flocks, small flocks of genuine migrant Barnacle Geese could get overlooked, but it would be hard to prove where they originate from.

Hi Jono

Yes, there are some decent feral flocks around in east Norfolk/Suffolk. They're quite mobile, but I've tracked them between Buckenham and my own village of Shotesham via the presence of the tatty pale hybrid thing! In Shotesham, they spend most of their time on a small lake in a private garden which is best viewed via Google Earth. I've also found ones and twos in the breeding season in several tetrads in the south Norfolk area whilst doing atlas work. The birds congregate at times in the Yare Valley (Postwick, Buckenham, Fritton, Lound) and presumably overlap with feral birds along the Suffolk coast at Kessingland, Minsmere, etc. I think they occur(red?) also along the Waveney at Bungay/Earsham. Note there are occasionally 1-2 Red-breasted Geese kicking around with them also.

So, whilst I'm sure genuine birds do arrive from the vast flocks wintering in the Netherlands, and a few come from the north with the Pinkie flocks, in general I think you have to assume most birds in east Norfolk are naturalised.

Cheers

Andy

Edit: P.S. Of course, do look out for any colour-ringed Barnies as that could certainly prove a wild origin and life history for the individual.

Last edited:
With calmer conditions today there was a little movement along the coast and more birds evident in general.

A few pockets of Swallows, along with the odd House Martin, were passing through, a few Chaffinches and Meadow Pipits were also moving, plus a Heron and a Great Spot which came in off along Cromer GC.

A few Stonechats have reappeared and there were also quite a few Song Thrushes in evidence today.

Star find of the day however goes to a Yellow-browed Warbler that was showing very well in the vegetation around the edge of the playing field just to the west of Cromer Lighthouse before it moved off into Warren Woods with a tit-flock which also included a few Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.

As the Northern Isles have shown, birds are arriving despite the far from perfect weather conditions, so it'll be interesting to see if the forecast rain over the next couple of days has any affect in terms of grounding any birds on the coast here.....

A few pics from around the patch over the last few days also attached.

Regards

Simon

Attachments

• Dunlin10091.jpg
    Dunlin10091.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 58
  • MedGull100921.jpg
    MedGull100921.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 51
  • SnowBunt10091.jpg
    SnowBunt10091.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 57
  • Wheatear10091.jpg
    Wheatear10091.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Stonechat10091.jpg
    Stonechat10091.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 43
weather conditions look more promising this week, with some SE, E's and NE, a small high over Scandanavia Tues, long range highs throughout the week, coupled with the fact its early Oct, passerine finding hat on please everybody.

Definitely passerine hats on. I can almost guarantee Norfolk will have a very promising spell ..... probably as from Friday onwards as I'm out of the area for a couple of weeks! So stand by for Spurn, Flamborough and Holy Island where I'm going to be empty! It's a good trick I've developed over many years of trying...

Hi Jono

Yes, there are some decent feral flocks around in east Norfolk/Suffolk. They're quite mobile, but I've tracked them between Buckenham and my own village of Shotesham via the presence of the tatty pale hybrid thing! In Shotesham, they spend most of their time on a small lake in a private garden which is best viewed via Google Earth. I've also found ones and twos in the breeding season in several tetrads in the south Norfolk area whilst doing atlas work. The birds congregate at times in the Yare Valley (Postwick, Buckenham, Fritton, Lound) and presumably overlap with feral birds along the Suffolk coast at Kessingland, Minsmere, etc. I think they occur(red?) also along the Waveney at Bungay/Earsham. Note there are occasionally 1-2 Red-breasted Geese kicking around with them also.

So, whilst I'm sure genuine birds do arrive from the vast flocks wintering in the Netherlands, and a few come from the north with the Pinkie flocks, in general I think you have to assume most birds in east Norfolk are naturalised.

Cheers

Andy

Edit: P.S. Of course, do look out for any colour-ringed Barnies as that could certainly prove a wild origin and life history for the individual.

Thanks guys that is really helpful to know.
Jono

Pressure charts looking very promising indeed.
Clear over Scandinavia early morning tomorrow with some more rain early on here, followed by clearer spells. We could finally be getting some birds in Norfolk over the next few days (i will be out looking over next 48 hrs)
Would make a change from everything being up in the Northern Isles

Clear over Scandinavia early morning tomorrow with some more rain early on here, followed by clearer spells. We could finally be getting some birds in Norfolk over the next few days (i will be out looking over next 48 hrs)

...and with at least 8 Pechora Pipits on the Northern Isles in recent days will we finally see one in the county this year. It's long overdue...

Of interest in the city there are 3 Grey Wagtails along the Wensum this morning frequenting the same stretch near Laurence & Scott that the Shag of a few weeks back favoured.

James

Not what I'm seeing. Southern Scandinavia appears to be in the grip of pretty strong W-NWlies with several fast moving fronts going through. Great for seawatching somewhere on the Norwegian coast I expect but no good for departing migrants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back