Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Thursday 19th August 2010, 08:51   #9526
Jono L

A few migrants coming through Buckenham now:
Yesterday: Greenshank, 3 Green Sand, 2 Golden Plover, Ringed Plover and Dunlin.
Today: Wheatear.
Cheers
Old Thursday 19th August 2010, 19:22   #9527
Penny Clarke

Watched the Lesser Grey Shrike again today but too far away for camera!

Update on today's birding on blog.

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Friday 20th August 2010 at 00:14.
Old Thursday 19th August 2010, 21:00   #9528
Paul Woolnough

[quote=firstreesjohn;1904035
Nevertheless, it was pleasant to be there when people werenít attempting to get up its nose and just watch it pottering about, flying here and flying there- but mainly perching (the bird, not me).
[/QUOTE]

On the first evening, Tuesday the shrike was allowed to perch and feed from a quite distant bramble patch. Thus seen by all comers: good news as the only other Cley Square lesser grey shrike was back in 1976.

On a second visit tonight the bird showed very well on a post allowing everyone a good view. Flew and landed across the field (as did a whinchat) when photographers moved a little closer. After the photographers left the shrike came back to the same post.
Old Thursday 19th August 2010, 22:37   #9529
firefox32

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox32 View Post
I have also heard various rumours about Raven and Hoopoe breeding. Anybody able to shed more light???
Hi.

Sorry to raise this again. I have been on my honeymoon in Croatia and have missed out on the discussion. I totally agree with people not wishing to share with me any information they have on the topic on this public forum. I am still interested in whether they have or haven't bred, breeding area is not essential (although we will probably all know the location eventually if the rumours are true). It's just if they have, I would like to know they have, it would be great news.

Cheers.

Fox
Old Friday 20th August 2010, 15:28   #9530
Bird Hard 2
Cynical Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Woolnough View Post
... good news as the only other Cley Square lesser grey shrike was back in 1976.
15th-16th May 1960 (on Salthouse Heath)
14th May 1966
5th-6th September 1976 (near Cley coastguards, then behind Walsey Hills).

That would make it the fourth Lesser Grey Shrike for The Cley Square.
Old Friday 20th August 2010, 19:37   #9531
firstreesjohn

Another flypast and a warbler quiz

The Red Arrows one day, Unidexter the Crane another. This is what I saw out of the North Hide at Cley this afters, as s/he put up every bird that was on the North Scrape, having come in from the east, like the Three Wise Men. As yet, no-one has offered an explanation of why the poor bird should be partially legless. Any offers ?

Can anyone explain, also, the weather today ? It's almost completely opposite to what was forecast- not that I'm grumbling.

Yesterday, I took the attached shots of this extreme vagrant warbler: they show how a bird can change its colour, depending on the light.

Yesterday, too, I was incredibly fortunate when the hover (Volucella zonaria) Iíd been stalking for the 3rd day, crawled under my lens. I also saw my first Sericomyia silentis of the season (RH photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014pse_edited-1sm.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	279094  Click image for larger version

Name:	067sm.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	279095  Click image for larger version

Name:	072sm.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	279096  Click image for larger version

Name:	011psesm2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	279097  Click image for larger version

Name:	038psesm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	279098  

Old Friday 20th August 2010, 19:54   #9532
Paul Woolnough

Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Hard 2 View Post
14th May 1966

RBA Website
(Cley Square)
Only the 1976 record is listed against previous records for lesser grey shrike lanius minor in Norfolk.

The Birds Of Norfolk p472
First documented, rather than shot or obtained 1956. Then 12 by 1982, no detail.

RBA list shows only some of the dozen above.

Old Friday 20th August 2010, 21:59   #9533
James Emerson
Norwich Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Hard 2 View Post
14th May 1966

Whilst there were Lesser Grey Shrikes reported on Salthouse Heath in 1960 (mentioned in Cley Marsh and Its Birds) and at Morston in 1966, the Birdguides historical breakdown of Norfolk records state that these two records, along with one from Cockley Cley in 1969 are no longer accepted. The reason is given as the records not being included in the British Birds Rarities Reports, so maybe they were not submitted/accepted to the BBRC.

Live accepted records:
Snettisham (1956)
Sheringham (1968)
Winterton (1968)
Burnham Norton (1969)
Holme (1973, 1975)
Cley (1976)
Downham Market (1977)
Ringstead (1979, 1982)
Potter Heigham (1991)
Sheringham (1994)
Burnham Overy (1996)
Acle (2003)
Holkham (2007)
Hickling (2008)
Sheringham/Weybourne (2008)
Old Friday 20th August 2010, 22:04   #9534
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Stuart, clear some PM space!
Old Saturday 21st August 2010, 19:47   #9535
firstreesjohn

The long trek- all the way to South America ?

I went so far west today, I thought at one stage I must have strayed into Peru (and I didnít imagine llamas, which were being taken for a walk from Wells)- all along the Ďfrontí from Warham Greens to Stiffkey and back. The only passerines of note were Lesser & Whitethroats- and those were probably residents.

The insects were better: I probably saw more Red Admirals today than for the whole of the year to date.

A smart yellow/black Ladybird Psyllobora 22-punctata was common on the cabbage-type plants in the small copse at the top of the westernmost track.

A Southern Hawker posed nicely on the edge of the same copse. It's taken me the last few weeks to manage to snap one of these at all well.

A timely text message has alerted me to my mis-IDing of the four-legged creatures. My lame (!) excuse is that I don't usually carry 'Mammals of South America' while walking on the north Norfolk coast. Since they're quite small, perhaps they should be called 'Al Pacinos', rather than alpacas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	044sm.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	279306  Click image for larger version

Name:	053psesm.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	279307  Click image for larger version

Name:	042psesm.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	279308  Click image for larger version

Name:	068psesm.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	279309  

Last edited by firstreesjohn : Saturday 21st August 2010 at 20:26.
Old Saturday 21st August 2010, 21:24   #9536
MarcellC

Spotted Crake

Hi all

This evening at around 6pm we were driving along Creake Road (between Walsingham and South Creake, about 3.5miles from South Creake) and noticed a couple of crakes in an area adjacent to a stream and opposite the ruins of an abbey/church.

The tail was being being cocked all the time and the buffy underside was unmissable - there was no mistaking these 2 birds and their behaviour as that of Spotted Crake. The one bird disappeared quite quickly in the undergrowth on the bank above the stream and muddy areas, the 2nd bird followed about 30sec later.

Since I got home I've looked at on the software (Birds of the Western Palearctic) and the video confirms the species we saw as Spotted Crake. My partner who had been with me also confirmed this after watching the videos.

I'm not sure whether this is considered a "sensitive" species so haven't added the OS map grid reference.

Cheers
Marcell
Old Saturday 21st August 2010, 22:24   #9537
Richard Abr

Simon King

Penny
Have just read, on your blog, your superb detailed account of your day with Simon King. Certainly an unforgettable day, and one you will always treasure.
It is always a privilege to be in the presence of someone like Simon, with his aura and magnetism. Anyhow just wanted say how pleased I am that all went to plan, or should I say even better than planned!!
Best wishes
Richard
Old Sunday 22nd August 2010, 13:59   #9538
Hirundapus

Hi Marcell,
Can you give the grid ref and more detailed directions to your Spotted Crakes sighting please, so that one could go and have a look for them? It's an unlikely breeding site and too late for breeding now anyway, so surely not sensitive. Very many thanks.

Last edited by Hirundapus : Sunday 22nd August 2010 at 14:02.
Old Monday 23rd August 2010, 12:19   #9539
MarcellC

Hi Hirundapus

Sure, grid ref is TF897376. The location is at the ruins of what the map shows as St Edmund's Church along Creake Road between South Creake and Walsingham. Coming from South Creake a road sign showing 5 1/2miles to Walsingham, turn down here and you're on Creake Road.

I saw the pair right opposite the gate to the ruins - open field and bordered at the entrance (to the field) by a dense hedge-like growth. In the grounds of the ruins there's a depression with a muddy (and a bit of water) area with fairly thick vegetation.

Was at the site yesterday morning but no luck although there was some movement in the veg next to the muddy area but whatever it was had no intention of showing itself.

Cheers & good luck
Marcell
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 20:11   #9540
MICK SAUNT

Wing-tagged Montagu's Harrier at Waxham/Winterton in April
Have just had some info from BTO about the wing-tagged Montys that hung around Waxham/Winterton in late April. It was ringed as a nestling on 18th July 2008 at Villeneuve, Puy-de-Dome in France (Horsey is about 500 miles almost due north of the site). BWP states that it is likely most 1-w remain on the wintering grounds in Africa so it could be that on it's first journey north it just didn't know when to stop!
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 21:15   #9541
jimbob

Surlingham this evening turned up one of the two Green Sandpipers I saw before Birdfair, this time on the puddle south of the church ruins. 80 Duck were counted, 5 female Shoveler were the new arrivals. The sightings board in the hide listed 2 Snipe from a couple of days back.
Rockland Marshes until dark were very nice; a Barn Owl on a mission and a 400 strong corvid roost, swarming against a full moon.
Cheers,
Jim.
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 22:03   #9542
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Abr View Post
Penny
Have just read, on your blog, your superb detailed account of your day with Simon King. Certainly an unforgettable day, and one you will always treasure.
It is always a privilege to be in the presence of someone like Simon, with his aura and magnetism. Anyhow just wanted say how pleased I am that all went to plan, or should I say even better than planned!!
Best wishes
Richard
Thanks Richard
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 22:04   #9543
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Surlingham this evening turned up one of the two Green Sandpipers I saw before Birdfair, this time on the puddle south of the church ruins. 80 Duck were counted, 5 female Shoveler were the new arrivals. The sightings board in the hide listed 2 Snipe from a couple of days back.
Rockland Marshes until dark were very nice; a Barn Owl on a mission and a 400 strong corvid roost, swarming against a full moon.
Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Jim

Nice to meet you on Simon King's Walk & Lunch! Hope you enjoyed the rest of the Fair with your girlfriend.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 22:21   #9544
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Hi Jim

Nice to meet you on Simon King's Walk & Lunch! Hope you enjoyed the rest of the Fair with your girlfriend.

Best Wishes Penny
You too Penny. A memorable fair this year! Good to see Norfolk well represented on the walk. All the best for the Autumn.
Jim.
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 22:53   #9545
Penny Clarke

On Holiday This Week

My three day's at the Rutland Bird Fair are on http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=176904&page=5 and also on my blog.

After not waking up particularly early I arrived at Cley late morning and had a walk round Walsey Hills, which only produced a few common whitethroats and the usual blue/great tits, long tailed tits etc around the bird feeders.

Left here and went to Sarbury Hill (my Pied fly spot!) and all I got here was soaked! - it rained on and off all day.

Cley Visitor Centre for lunch: Jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw and nothing sweet! Met a very interesting couple with a very sweet 4 year old daughter who showed me her nature notebook with drawings in of birds she had done - pretty good for a 4-year old! They had come to England from Chicago for a wedding!!! It was their first time in England and although they thought the area was beautiful, the lady (Anne) could not understand why there were not more 'hawks' about - she said that 'back home' there would have been several birds of prey in the air in the same type of habitat.

Parked at Coastguards, now lashing down with rain, had a cup of tea and a snooze! Eventually got out of the car in between showers and walked to North Hide - on route saw at least 5 Wheatears on the fence wires and posts which was lovely. From North Hide 2 Little Stints, amongst dunlin, loads of cormorants with one spoonbill in the middle of them, 3 Yellow wagtails bounded over the far island, several ringed plover, avocets, redshanks, teal, black tailed godwits and one green sandpiper etc. On route back to the carpark I had a very interesting LBJ dive into the Yellow Horned Poppies amongst the shingle - I kept my eye on the spot where it had flown in to and as I approached the spot, nothing, nothing at all, disappeared with a puff of smoke!!!!! Don't you just hate that! Just got back to the car in time for the next downpour! Several sandwich terns going west along the sea.

Parked at Old Woman's Lane and walked to Dauke's Hide and this was the best part of the day, the sun was shining with blue skies and everything looked beautiful! Andy J. joined me in the hide and then, when the door opened again I expected someone like Eddie M. or Mark G. (the usual evening crowd) to walk in BUT instead a very glamorous blonde walked into the hide who was very interested in birds and whilst chatting to me said she loved birdwatching but her children got bored which made it very difficult - I think she really enjoyed her time this evening as she saw several really good birds including the following: one Hooded Crow at around 7.10pm flying across the marsh towards North Fallen Wood, 1 Common Sandpiper sitting directly in front of the nearest island looking stunning in the sunshine, 1 Barn Owl which flew right in front of the hide, 1 Sparrowhawk zoomed past and also later the same or different one sitting on the fence next to Bishop's Hide, 1 Hare directly in front of hide, 2 marsh harriers, 3 spoonbills flying towards East Bank, 3 Green Sandpipers, tons of Dunlin, massive flocks of starlings, redshanks, avocets, 1 Med. Gull 7.45pm (picked up by M.G. who walked in hide later), black tailed godwits, 1 heron and tons of gulls and a full moon set the scene.

Left the hardcore gull watchers in the hide and walked back to my car to have my final philadelphia cheese (loveleeeeey!) and stem ginger roll and a cup of tea and then drove home.

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Wednesday 25th August 2010 at 09:06.
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 16:37   #9546
rlass and me

hi all
rlass and me are heading for north norfolk on monday for 2weeks
looked at tons of info my brain is now hurting
we are complete novices any info would be good
ie best times to go out
hoping to see some marsh harriers bit of a raptor man
ta
nidge d
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 17:45   #9547
VillagerFred

Go to Cley, Strumpshaw, Lakenheath, Minismere if you don't mind Suffolk (Boo hiss!) and marsh harriers are seen 96.7 percent of the time: all are nationally important reserves with plenty of good stuff to see at any time of year and are manned sites. Titchwell have got the builders in at the moment.
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 19:57   #9548
jimbob

2 Weeks gives you plenty of time to explore, and I would do just that! The whole coastal strip is worth a look, and the NWT reserve at Cley is a good place to start.
East of Norwich is my usual stomping ground, Strumpshaw RSPB is an excellent reserve, and then you have Buckenham Marshes, Cantley.
No doubt a lot of these are just 'names' to you, therefore I would recommend a purchase of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Birdwat...2762536&sr=8-1

Also on sale in Cley visitor centre.
Enjoy your break.
Jim.
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:00   #9549
jimbob

Visited a flooded Rush Hill at Hickling this afternoon. Not the hoped for American Wader, a Greenshank did land briefly but appeared unsettled, calling, no doubt annoyed by the lack of mud.
Cheers,
Jim,
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 21:33   #9550
rlass and me

thanks for the advice
the book looks just what we need
will make cley the 1st port of call
we are staying near thorpe market
also going to invest in a ordanace survey map
regards
nidge d
Advertisement