Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 22:49   #9551
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlass and me View Post
thanks for the advice
the book looks just what we need
will make cley the 1st port of call
we are staying near thorpe market
also going to invest in a ordanace survey map
regards
nidge d
Also see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Watch-.../dp/0713658649

But Jim's choice is the easiest one to use when out and about!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 22:53   #9552
Penny Clarke

Moth Day at Titchwell with my parents and Gypsy Lane.

Joined my parents for the Titchwell Moth Day at 9.30am.
Mother got cross with me for taking photos (she HATES having her picture taken!)

Later in morning walked along Gypsy Lane (runs adjacent to Titchwell Reserve) and saw a Green Woodpecker (heard only), 1 Whimbrel, 1 Little Egret, 2 Little Grebes, 1 Common Whitethroat, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Grey Plover and 1 Greenshank, oh and tons of greylag geese, mute swans, canada goose and a marsh harrier. On arriving at the beach all I saw were tons of holidaymakers and out of control dogs!

Late afternoon started the MASSIVE job of re-sizing, correcting my Bird Fair photos to add to my blog.

Day One, Two and Three Photos of the Bird Fair now added to my blog.

The Exhibitors stands pictures will only be added to a Birdforum thread which I will be creating this week to also include celebrity/people shots etc!

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Thursday 26th August 2010 at 19:18.
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 19:18   #9553
Penny Clarke

As I wrote on my blog this afternoon!

Strong North Easterlies with rain currently!!!!! Really should be walking the point (Blakeney Point) but today I am going to be a pager birder - have bags and flask ready by the door just in case!!!! As I want to finish my birdfair photos.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

Will be out early tomorrow!!!

7.15pm - EXACTLY!!!

RBA: Bluethroat on Far Point this afternoon, Blakeney Point!!!!!

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Thursday 26th August 2010 at 19:20.
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 20:03   #9554
Dave Hawkins
Dear diary, what a day it's been...

Smile Hoping these winds arrive Sunday!

Hopefully a decent sea watch possible on Sunday or Monday! Got to work Monday....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mon 30 08 10.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	280198  
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 20:37   #9555
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
7.15pm - EXACTLY!!!

RBA: Bluethroat on Far Point this afternoon, Blakeney Point!!!!!
No need to shout. I've got a pager too, and it's only a Bluethroat.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 20:39   #9556
black kite 1964
Registered Member

had an interesting t/c from a friend in edgefield re a bird in her garden this afternoon. She describes a phyllosopus willow/chiff type. Very fresh looking, long pale supercillium. The most striking feature being a pale wing bar. We have gone through the option of artic warbler, but the super did not appear that extensive? My intial thoughts are that the bird sounds like a greenish. The observer is competent with garden birds. Chiff, willow and garden warbler are regular in the garden which is substantial and has many large trees. The bird will be looked for in the morning. If confirmed i will attempt to arrange access. There is however limited close parking.
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:08   #9557
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
Are yes, but what else is down there!!!!!!

Seriously didn't mean to put the words that big - am in an excitable mood this evening, being I have finished my birdfair blog!
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:10   #9558
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Hopefully a decent sea watch possible on Sunday or Monday! Got to work Monday....
So have I - just for the morning anyway.

But both my bank shifts have been cancelled on Sunday, so can now go birding
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:11   #9559
petehasset

&

Quote:
it mite only be a bluethroat to you but sum of us have never seen one , so i say think b4 you type & as not everybody has or can afford a pager & what u say can offend others . I say thank you to Penny as its always nice to read what she has to say & is never rude or ungrateful
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:14   #9560
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehasset View Post
it mite only be a bluethroat to you but sum of us have never seen one , so i say think b4 you type & as not everybody has or can afford a pager & what u say can offend others . I say thank you to Penny as its always nice to read what she has to say & is never rude or ungrateful
Thank you Pete for your support, but I think David was jesting
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:16   #9561
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Bad day at the office David?!!! Request permission in advance to type in that large a font size when I find one at Holme in the morning....!
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 21:56   #9562
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Bad day at the office David?!!! Request permission in advance to type in that large a font size when I find one at Holme in the morning....!
Denied.

You can have the bold (and maybe a word or two underlined) but nothing more than font size 3 for a Bluethroat. However, if it's a Yellow-breasted Bunting or something rarer, then you can do whatever you want (as long as you call me first).

And, yes, it's been a long week at work after returning from Porthgwarra late on Sunday... but being called rude and ungrateful (and the couple of PMs that went with it) has provided some overdue entertainment!

Fingers crossed for a seawatch on Monday.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 22:59   #9563
black kite 1964
Registered Member

bluethroat records

just a bluethroat is downplaying the small number of records in recent years. Red flanked bluetail may have easier to catch up with in norfolk recently!
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 13:27   #9564
James Emerson
Norwich Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by black kite 1964 View Post
just a bluethroat is downplaying the small number of records in recent years. Red flanked bluetail may have easier to catch up with in norfolk recently!
I think that the fact that a Bluethroat has been at Welney for the past 4 months means that most people who want to see one will have done, hence the downplaying of what would otherwise have been a bird that would have aroused more interest.

This morning I had 8 Common Sandpipers along the river near Trowse, eventually flying off towards Whitlingham, the first time I have seen more than two in the area.
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 13:51   #9565
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emerson View Post
I think that the fact that a Bluethroat has been at Welney for the past 4 months means that most people who want to see one will have done, hence the downplaying of what would otherwise have been a bird that would have aroused more interest.

This morning I had 8 Common Sandpipers along the river near Trowse, eventually flying off towards Whitlingham, the first time I have seen more than two in the area.
Bit of a Sandpiper fan myself, 8 is a good count, especially of Commons.
1-2 birds still at Surlingham.
Winds look good for some seawatching sun/mon.
Jim.
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 15:10   #9566
Jono L

Waxham this morning: 2 Whinchat, 5 Wheatear, 5 Lesser Whitethroats, Yellow Wagtail.
Buckenham this afternoon: 2 Wood Sands, 2 Green Sands, 6 Common Sands, 3 Ruff, 2 Little Egret, Hobby.

Cheers
Jono
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 16:38   #9567
MICK SAUNT

A better-than-expected seawatch at Sheringham from first light today especially as it seems yesterday was a bit of a washout. Highlights:

Juv long-tailed west (quarter distance)
2 Poms east (third distance)
2 Balearic shearwaters east (just beyond flag line)
34 Arctic skuas east
35 Bonxies east
4 Arctic terns east

plus steady trickle of sandwich/common terns and gannets moving east.

No petrels or sooties but as several threads have already indicated Monday might be the day if the forecast holds.

Interestingly the first Balearic was what we assumed to be the bird originally seen at Cley and it took 17 mins to get from there to Sheringham - gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 16:40   #9568
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emerson View Post
Two weeks ago, the exact date escapes me, there were 3 Common Sands along the Wensum by the railway bridge before heading towards Whitlingham. And from the description I was given, there was another briefly in one of the warehouses at Britvic this morning.

Walking the dog today I had 2-3 Chiffchaffs and a Redstart south of Happisburgh...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 19:04   #9569
rob lee

[QUOTE.......... gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............[/quote]

All depends when the news comes out
Another balearic east past the shelter at 14:15 as well, during my lonely vigil.
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 19:11   #9570
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICK SAUNT View Post
Interestingly the first Balearic was what we assumed to be the bird originally seen at Cley and it took 17 mins to get from there to Sheringham - gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............
Two Balearics were tracked around the county coast, in calm conditions, on 30th August 2008. First seen passing east from the (seaward!) end of the East Bank at Cley at 6:50am they were noted passing Overstrand at 7:20am (+30mins), Happisburgh at 7:45am (+55mins from Cley) and finally Winterton at 8:40am (+1hr 50mins from Cley). They were quite close in and their passing appeared quite leisurely, affording good views even through 10x bins.

The June 1997 Fea's/Zino's, first seen over Blakeney Point, was seen at Cley, Sheringham and finally Mundesley, it passing the latter site a couple of hours or so (I stand to be corrected?) after the original sighting. Perhaps it moved out to sea in the Cromer area, where the coastline noticeably turns south-east, before looping back south later.

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 19:27   #9571
firstreesjohn

Quicky ! Dicky Icky Piccies

Arriving at Salthouse beach car park, I encountered Robin A, who said that he’d had nothing at Gramboro’. We therefore drove around to Walsey Hills NOA, where there was a Chiffchaff doing a perfect imitation of Greenish's call- and responding to playback !

About halfway along the path, I spotted a domed crown, attached to the body of a warbler and said something along the lines of ‘that’s an Icky’. It then vanished towards the southern end of the reserve. We relocated it in the willows, whereupon I strode off up the field (the future's definitely Orange), to alert nearby birders. While I was doing this, Robin had it out in the open at about 20 feet for 10 seconds, confirming it as an ICTERINE WARBLER. The pics were taken a little later, from a sensible distance, when it was feeding in the sallows along the southern edge. Steve G has much better ones.

There was also a Pied Flycatcher- later 3.

The whole of the ‘front’ from Warham Greens to Stiffkey had nothing of note.

Later on, Gramboro’ held 3 Whinchats and a couple of Wheatears- I missed the Wryneck. Curses !

The Little Eye had 2 Whinchats, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004psesm.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	280381  Click image for larger version

Name:	008psesm.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	280382  Click image for larger version

Name:	031psesm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	280383  
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 22:10   #9572
rob lee

[QUOTE The pics were taken........ from a sensible distance............... Steve G has much better ones.[/quote]

I think i see what you are saying here
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 22:36   #9573
Songkhran

Managed to grip off The Point today with a one Pied Fly enjoyed by the locals at Friary Hills and seems they didn't have any haha ; - )
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 22:58   #9574
Penny Clarke

Mega Day!!!!!!!!

MEGA DAY (note large font for MEGA!!!)

After oversleeping (read my blog) I eventually arrived mid morning(ish) at Walsey Hills which was perfect timing (thanks John!). Up on the pager Icterine Warbler and Pied Flycatcher, both of which I saw 11.45am - thanks Eddie for allowing me to look through your scope! Nice little party of birders including Eddie M, Andy J, Dave H. Robin A. and of course John F. to name but a few, all standing from a sensible distance and much too far for me to get a photograph.

Had a good look round Walsey and didn't find anything else of note.

Went to the visitor centre to remove thermal top - much too hot I decided to be wearing for 'The Point'! Whilst I was there I bought a buttered cheese scone to take away.

Parked at Coast Guards and started walking Blakeney Point at around 1.20pm. All I had was loads of Reed Buntings and a few Meadow Pipits up to Halfway House. Sat on the seat next the house and watched 3 Wheatears on the grassy area. Walked all round the sueda bushes and had lovely views of a Whinchat. Also had 2 Willow Warblers in exactly the same sueda bushes as Connor, his dad and I had the Icterine Warbler! You know when you are thinking, you wished you hadn't walked the point! I went through so many sueda bushes in hope of finding something good!

Continued on, half thinking about walking back, especially when 2 birders coming back said they had had nothing and also no birds in the plantation at all! I am sooooooo glad I didn't, anyway reached the Plantation and sat down having a cup of coffee and cheese scone when James McCallum appeared with another man. James very kindly told me where to find the Lapland Bunting at Long Point. He then got a very exciting phone call. Even before his finished the conversation I started to throw my half cup of coffee away and stuff things in rucksack!

Off we went to Long Hills to see a BOOTED WARBLER!!!!!!!!! And I did see it too, at 5pm and watched on and off (EXTREMELY ELUSIVE THOUGH) until 6.30pm. And to top it all I got some pictures too!!!!!! Found by Joe Cockram, Paul Nicholls and Eddie Stubbings at 4.30pm. Seriously though my photos won't win any prizes! Joe also got a flight shot (see: http://joesbirding.blogspot.com/). Think we were the only ones to get any pictures. Steve G. came along but I dont think he got any shots - I may be wrong though R.M and Andy S. also arrived later to view the bird.

Anyway I then decided to walk back to Long Point to see the Lapland Bunting which with the help of Eddie S. (thank you!) I did and also photographed it drinking from a puddle in the last of the sunshine! at 7.30pm - it then disappeared near a creek.

Sat down and had a coffee and a sandwich. I looked at the sun going down and you just know that you're going to be walking back in the dark, so whats the hurry!!!

Started walking at 7.45pm from Long Point and it seemed to go for ever and ever and ever! Also misjudged a few waves and got soaked feet to add to the already soaked feet from crossing creeks earlier to see the Booted Warbler. Got a partial message on pager 'Bluethroat...' Phoned RBA who told me Steve G. had a Bluethroat between the Hood and Halfway House - I smiled to myself and thought would I be that lucky to see that aswell!! On reaching that area, it was dark, so no hope there! Battery on phone almost run out, so had to turn it off for emergencies. Good job it was a full moon! I could just about see the triangle shape of the roof of the hut at Coastguards! It was such a relief to open my car door at 9.20pm!!! The drive home seemed almost as long as the walk back! Got home 10.30pm.

SLEEEEEP!!!!!

Booted Warbler and Lapland Bunting pictures will be on my blog tomorrow.

Best Wishes a very happy Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Saturday 28th August 2010 at 00:04.
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 23:01   #9575
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Resident View Post
Managed to grip off The Point today with a one. Pied Fly enjoyed by the locals at Friary Hills and seems they didn't have any haha ; - )
Josh. Spending time in the field again!! U clearly are blakeneys uberbirder!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: