Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 9th January 2011, 19:27   #10701
Owl Capone
Registered Member

Quote:
I heard an interesting proposal this afternoon: that any records withheld (I would not use the term ‘suppressed’), without sufficient reason, should be deemed unworthy of submission to the BBRC- thus, rejected even before consideration.
Thats a ridiculous idea, if a bird is in Britain, a bird is in Britain, recording helps conservation, not listers. Even if a rarity turns up in an extremely accessible place (centre circle at Wembley) it is still the right of the owner to decide if they want hundreds of people turning up there or not. That doesnt make the record any less valid
Old Sunday 9th January 2011, 20:41   #10702
Andy Musgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Woolnough View Post
Err no
Bird near where people feed the ducks
I popped in to Whitlingham this morning to have a quick look for Smew or anything else unusual, and was somewhat perturbed to meet a small group of birdwatchers who had clearly come for the sole purpose of seeing the RB Goose. When I suggested it was an escape, they seemed most perturbed and then left immediately. One sometimes despairs. I hope they hadn't come far.

Cheers

Andy
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 07:11   #10703
James Emerson
Norwich Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Musgrove View Post
I popped in to Whitlingham this morning to have a quick look for Smew or anything else unusual, and was somewhat perturbed to meet a small group of birdwatchers who had clearly come for the sole purpose of seeing the RB Goose. When I suggested it was an escape, they seemed most perturbed and then left immediately. One sometimes despairs. I hope they hadn't come far.

Cheers

Andy
I reported it to BirdGuides as "Red-breasted Goose (escape)", and they put up their escape icon next to the sighting. I don't know whether RBA noted that it was an escape?
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 13:09   #10704
VillagerFred

Presumably it has been noted with the county recorder? I find the little appendix at the end of the Norfolk Bird and Mammal report to be very interesting, and even if it is an 'obvious escapee', the more data you have would be useful in working out what these liberated individuals are doing in the wild. Also agree with Andy, a red breasted goose is still a stonker, I've only seen escapees in the UK, but they should still brighten any day in the field!
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 14:46   #10705
firstreesjohn

Czech beer at Salthouse ?

The beach car park is continuing to feature c20 Snow Buntings, attracted by cast seed.

At Gramboro’, the birds were few and far between. The scenery was enhanced by this duo: with the upper bud wiser than the lower, having not yet deemed it warm enough to open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009psesm.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	302816  
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 15:24   #10706
lord paul

The wildlife on the Norfolk Broads have had a tough time again as the rivers have been froozen for many weeks now.
You can see what I mean by looking at my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ncsl#p/u
Or on www.photographs-r-us.co.uk
Just hope the Kingfishers havent suffered too much as there was a lot missing all last year.

Lord Paul & Kingfishers on the Norfolk Broads
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 16:10   #10707
Paul Eele

Titchwell January 10th

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh
Iceland gull - 1 on fresh marsh briefly @ 14:15
Snow bunting - 30 on beach
Lapland bunting - 1 over main path
Red-necked grebe - 4 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Long-tailed duck - 6 offshore
Scaup - female on fresh marsh
Pale-bellied brent goose - 7 with main brent flock
Twite - 40 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 4 on fresh marsh
Whooper swan - 1 in field by access road

Pink-footed goose - 37,350 left the Snettisham roost this morning
Waxwing - 2 near Rotary Hide at Snettisham this morning

Paul
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 17:38   #10708
Lightthiscandle
David Bryant

Strumpshaw

Strump was excellent today, with Bitterns and Otters very visible!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Otter.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	302855  
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 17:48   #10709
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightthiscandle View Post
Strump was excellent today, with Bitterns and Otters very visible!
I don't think Strumpshaw needs any more good publicity. I couldn't find anywhere to park there yesterday and in the end gave up and went home. It didn't help that the overflow car park was shut though. Nice shot of the Otter.

Ron

Last edited by NoSpringChicken : Monday 10th January 2011 at 18:19.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th January 2011, 20:39   #10710
stuart white

A cracking day out

We had a cracking day out today, heading from Norwich up to North West norfolk, first stop choseley where both Corn Bunting & Yellowhammer obliged very shortly after arriving. Moving on to Titchwell for the high tide around 10am we soon picked up no less than 4 Red-necked Grebes, 2 Slavonian Grebes, c6 Long-tailed Ducks, 3+ Velvet Scoter with the common scoter flock along with numerous Eider, Goldeneye & Mergs. Interestingly a ring tail hen harrier also flew east over the sea, maybe hunting scoter?! Back on the reserve up to 4 Water Pipits, 40 Twite and the female Scaup showed. Turning round a ring tail harrier appeared over thornham marsh, a quick look through the scope revealed it to be the Northern Harrier, luckily for us it came close and gave a superb fly-by. After a sausage roll and cup of tea we moved on finding a Ross's Goose with several thousand Pink-feet inland from Brancaster. Leaving the Geese we headed back to the coast road and stopped overlooking Burnham Norton marshes where presumably the same Ross's Goose then dropped in. Birds seemed to be following us as a scan through 3 ring tail harriers revealed one to be the Northern Harrier which gave another more distant fly-by. We finished off with 2 Rough-legged Buzzards sparring over the east end of scolt head. What a fantastic day out, you have to love Norfolk on days like these.
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 20:44   #10711
Lightthiscandle
David Bryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
I don't think Strumpshaw needs any more good publicity. I couldn't find anywhere to park there yesterday and in the end gave up and went home. It didn't help that the overflow car park was shut though. Nice shot of the Otter.

Ron
Aaaaaaaaaah! The joys of being retired! Only about five cars there all day today!
Old Tuesday 11th January 2011, 16:18   #10712
Paul Eele

Titchwell January 11th

Today's highlights

Long-tailed duck - 10 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Red-necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Twite - 49 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul
Old Tuesday 11th January 2011, 17:16   #10713
pbst39

Had an adult Med Gull close offshore from Sheringham at around 3.30 this afternoon which was nice.
Old Tuesday 11th January 2011, 20:05   #10714
Daffyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emerson View Post
I reported it to BirdGuides as "Red-breasted Goose (escape)", and they put up their escape icon next to the sighting. I don't know whether RBA noted that it was an escape?
Hi James, no RBA didnt as i received the message and thought wow!, if I have time I will try and go back via Norwich to fit it in - which I wouldnt have done had it said ESCAPEE. In anycase - ran out of time so never got there.
Tina
Old Tuesday 11th January 2011, 20:50   #10715
Reader

If my memory serves me right it was announced in non capital letters. If it had been classed as a genuine bird it would have been in capital letters as the Pilling, Lancs bird is.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffyduck View Post
Hi James, no RBA didnt as i received the message and thought wow!, if I have time I will try and go back via Norwich to fit it in - which I wouldnt have done had it said ESCAPEE. In anycase - ran out of time so never got there.
Tina
Old Wednesday 12th January 2011, 16:32   #10716
sacha

Norfolk winter magic

Finally managed to go out birding for the first time this year! Managed over 90 sps:
Northern Harrier flew through Thornham around 9am
Titchwell
Long T Duck
Red N Grebe 2+
Slav Grebe
Eider 5+
Velvet Scoter 2
Twite 45+
Shore Lark 5
Water Pipit
Spotted Redshank
Snow Buntings
Scaup (not the most obvious individual!)
Whooper Swan

Cley- Am Wigeon, Black Brant and Pale B Brent

Finished with a Bewicks Swan between Cley and Holt amongst 1000's Pink feet but could not find any Bean Geese amongst the group.

Last edited by sacha : Thursday 13th January 2011 at 09:46. Reason: Added content
Old Wednesday 12th January 2011, 16:47   #10717
Paul Eele

Titchwell January 12th

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 8 on brackish marsh
Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Red-necked grebe - 2 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Pale-bellied brent goose - 4 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 53 on beach

Paul
Old Wednesday 12th January 2011, 17:19   #10718
pbst39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Finally managed to go out birding for the first time this year! Managed over 90 sps:
Northern Harrier flew through Thornam around 9am
Titchwell
Long T Duck
Red N Grebe 2+
Slav Grebe
Eider 5+
Velvet Scoter 2
Twite 45+
Shore Lark 5
Water Pipit
Spotted Redshank
Snow Buntings
Scaup (not the most obvious individual!)
Whooper Swan

Cley- Am Wigeon, Black Brant and Pale B Brent

Finished with a Bewicks Swan between Cley and Holt amongst 1000's Pink feet but could not find any Bean Geese amongst the group.

Sounds like a cracking days birding.

I had what must have been this bird a few days ago in presumably the same field and assumed it was Bewicks based on size but had neither bins nor scope with me. When I went back the next day with bins the field held just a single Pink-foot (having had several hundred or more the day before). So I am pleased that someone else has found it and confirmed my suspicions.

Pete
Old Wednesday 12th January 2011, 21:21   #10719
David Roche

Cracking day out last Sunday with 3 Great Northern and a fantastically close Black throated Diver past Holme in the morning, and the Shorelarks, Twite and Northern Harrier at Titchwell in the afternoon. Highlight of the weekend was back on the patch at Snettisham, where I counted 74 Woodcock coming out to feed on the grazing fields at Ken Hill marsh. There is a public footpath which goes from the inner bank at Snettisham Coastal park (opposite the concrete sea defence) and runs through the fields and up to ken Hill wood. The birds were all coming out over the small section of woodland, on the right hand side of the path immediately after you have crossed over the style, with the first birds appearing around 16:20. How many more are out there?!!
Old Thursday 13th January 2011, 14:12   #10720
jimbob

Must have been a fantastic sight, thanks for letting the forum know! I seem to remember a large number were counted last winter, around the Haddiscoe area (where people were watching the RLB and Shorties). Still much we don't know about Woodcock.
Jim.
Old Friday 14th January 2011, 16:22   #10721
Paul Eele

Titchwell January 14th

Today's highlights

Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Pale-bellied brent goose - 3 on saltmarsh
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Whooper swan - 1 in field by access road

Paul
Old Friday 14th January 2011, 18:38   #10722
firstreesjohn

More chat bling

Not at Gramboro’ (where there was more budding), this time, but on the barbed wire to the east of the Cley Beach Road. Mr S. Chat was sporting dark green above metal on his right leg and two red (or a single long one?) on his left.

I arrived at Friary Hills NT to learn that there had been a redhead Smew on the freshmarsh this morning. Also, a Firecrest has been seen a couple of times in the last few days.

And then something that has puzzled and astonished me. Last weekend, I posted this:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=310
and:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...77&postcount=1
with no response.

Does that mean that no-one knows anything about the appearance of an App for the best field guide in the world ? Or, is no-one interested ? ‘mazing !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006psesm.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	303410  Click image for larger version

Name:	010psesm.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	303411  
Old Friday 14th January 2011, 20:04   #10723
KayD
Ochruros

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
And then something that has puzzled and astonished me. Last weekend, I posted this:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=310
and:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...77&postcount=1
with no response.

Does that mean that no-one knows anything about the appearance of an App for the best field guide in the world ? Or, is no-one interested ? ‘mazing !
I was actually thinking earlier that an app of this is much needed. I have the Birdguides one and it is helpful, but the illustrations are nowhere near as good as Collins. A lot of the rarer species are also missing. I really hope Collins do one soon, and it'd be fantastic to have a facility to compare confusion species side by side
Old Friday 14th January 2011, 20:15   #10724
KayD
Ochruros

Hi All,

Two questions if anyone can help.

1. Does anyone have any up to date info on the numbers of Pink-footed Geese heading out to roost on the Wash off Snettisham? I was there Wednesday and although I've seen massive numbers of Pinkies in Norfolk many times, the number passing overhead was staggering! Huge skiens began passing over from 4:00pm and it was still going on at 4:45pm. Or is this usual? Any numbers would be of great interest to me.

2. Does anyone have any gen on reliable sites for wintering Lapland Bunting? Haven't had a decent view of one for a long while.

Many thanks
Old Friday 14th January 2011, 21:58   #10725
Andy Musgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayD View Post
Hi All,
1. Does anyone have any up to date info on the numbers of Pink-footed Geese heading out to roost on the Wash off Snettisham? I was there Wednesday and although I've seen massive numbers of Pinkies in Norfolk many times, the number passing overhead was staggering! Huge skiens began passing over from 4:00pm and it was still going on at 4:45pm. Or is this usual? Any numbers would be of great interest to me.
Hi KayD

A timely question - see Paul's message of Monday - "37,350 left the Snettisham roost this morning"

A dedicated team of counters cover the main roosts in Norfolk (and elsewhere) in coordinated fashion several times per winter - counts can be seen in the Norfolk Bird Report and summaries can be found in the annual reports of the Wetland Bird Survey - these can be downloaded from the WeBS pages on the BTO website (http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/webs)

Currently all WeBS reports are there as (large) pdf files - the part of the latest report including Pink-feet is at:

http://www.bto.org/sites/default/fil...uk200809_3.pdf

You'll see that the Snettisham roost is ranked number 4 in the country over the five winters up to 2008-09.

Loads of good stuff on WWT's website too - e.g. http://old.wwt.org.uk/research/monit...s/pinkfoot.asp

(basically reporting the same counts but lots of extra detailed info worth a read)

Cheers

Andy
(BTO Monitoring Team)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: