• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

Quick and prob stupid question to the Norfolk experts. If you could visit Norfolk for one week in oct or nov which week would it be? ( I seem to be an expert in picking really poor weeks )
Cheers

There were also three Ruddy Shelducks (two females and a juv) on Breydon Water near Burgh Castle same day - and one flew over nearby Hardley which might be your bird going for a wander. I think most of the Ruddys we get here, come across from a feral population on the continent and the majority of these arrive in the late summer / autumn.

Thanks Stratton Birder, we were planning on heading to Strumpshaw fen after Buckingham but spent over an hour watching the Ruddy Shelduck and other geese/ducks.

You, argumentative, can't believe thato:)

I think behaviour is quite key at this time of year as well.
They seemed to ascend from the same wood and just cruise and interact with each other in a friendly 'teaching' manner!
Wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of online papers on family groups and interaction?

ahh as an expert on 'teaching' I suppose I have to concede to a professional, presume Buzzards behave the same as kids o:D

John

Quick and prob stupid question to the Norfolk experts. If you could visit Norfolk for one week in oct or nov which week would it be? ( I seem to be an expert in picking really poor weeks )
Cheers
None of us are expert in choosing the right week, but I have booked 3 days mid October and the last week of October!;) Seriously though, we all get it wrong sometimes. I remember in 2010 I booked a week in mid-October and I most definately got it right, Olive-backed Pipit, 3 Red-flanked Bluetails, Pallas's Warbler etc - other times I have most definately got it wrong! Luck of the draw really, so mid October or last week? I wouldn't want to choose which week for you!

Update: as John M. said (forgot to add this, very important), easterly winds:t: westerly winds:-C

Good Luck with your choice!

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Cheers

Any week in Oct, early Nov, but wait for the weather, if westerly forget it, any change to the East get up here.

John

Sorry Down here

First up, thanks for the nice comments about the osprey/lon-tailed skua pics I put up the other day. And now for a silly question. Any suggestions for a photography trip to a local beach at the weekend? I'm not expecting anything rare but wonder if there might be somewhere with a good likelihood of something to photograph on the shoreline. I had a walk at Happisburgh on Sunday afternoon and saw young ringed plovers and turnstones and offshore three Brent geese flying south. Or is still too early in the year? Thanks in advance - The Novice

Recommend you pop down to Snettisham an hour before high tide, there are knot flocks that winter there that number in the tens of thousands and always make impressive images

Recommend you pop down to Snettisham an hour before high tide, there are knot flocks that winter there that number in the tens of thousands and always make impressive images

The spectacle at Snettisham is amazing, but if you want pics of birds along the shoreline, then I don't think there is anywhere that beats Titchwell!

Thanks

Thank you David and VillagerFred - I'm going straight to the tide tables! Hopefully good weather at the weekend and I'll let you know how I get on. Impatiently yours.

If you could visit Norfolk for one week in oct or nov which week would it be?

The situation is so weather-dependent that, this early, it’s impossible to predict with anything approaching accuracy.

This was borne out with last week’s possible, but disappeared, easterlies. Blame the Atlantic !

Some years, it doesn’t really happen, here.

You’ll have to take pot luck- that is, unless you are able to drop everything and just arrive. In that case, wait for EASTERLIES. Good luck. (We're waiting for them, just as eagerly.)

And I think Penny’s (#17724) got it wrong: you’ll have a bluer face in those easterlies. Brrrrr.

Thanks for the various replies about habitat and berry extirpation; think I’ll hedge my bets. At least it wasn’t devastating the westernmost track itself- for the mo. (Is this tempting The Fates?)

Dave
Just out of interest, if you had stopped, how would you have established that they were a family group?

John

Or perhaps if they had stopped?

But yes, It was an assumption based on quantity, habitat, the fact that they were fairly close together tied in with the info I had regarding the influx - that was based much further south, towards Kent etc.

Still don't know how to pronounce Ashmenaugh.

The situation is so weather-dependent that, this early, it’s impossible to predict with anything approaching accuracy.

This was borne out with last week’s possible, but disappeared, easterlies. Blame the Atlantic !

Some years, it doesn’t really happen, here.

You’ll have to take pot luck- that is, unless you are able to drop everything and just arrive. In that case, wait for EASTERLIES. Good luck. (We're waiting for them, just as eagerly.)

And I think Penny’s (#17724) got it wrong: you’ll have a bluer face in those easterlies. Brrrrr.

Thanks for the various replies about habitat and berry extirpation; think I’ll hedge my bets. At least it wasn’t devastating the westernmost track itself- for the mo. (Is this tempting The Fates?)
Thanks for the replies. :). Yes that's the tricky part. To get from here whilst waiting long enough to see a weather forecast but not too late that there's nowhere to stay (and the ferry becomes about a million pounds a ticket).
This will be our 7th trip to Norfolk and we haven't had easterlies once yet . |:D|

It's a long way off but next week (Sunday onwards) looks slightly more promising of easterlies. Just in time for a sprinkling of bluetails. It could all change by then of course

It's a long way off but next week (Sunday onwards) looks slightly more promising of easterlies. Just in time for a sprinkling of bluetails. It could all change by then of course

Thanks. Was trying to aim for that weekend after staring at magic seaweed (the website not a weird physic substance) all morning.

staring at magic seaweed

I’ve tried that- but it doesn’t have much effect. Example for you to essay, below.

Perhaps, if you substituted ‘mushrooms’ (?). Although, probably, ‘staring’ is not the technique to utilise, either.

As I said previously: good luck !

Attachments

• seaweed.jpg
    seaweed.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 93
Typical! I scanned the water meadows at Kelling thoroughly today and they were empty (6 Teal flew in and a few BH gulls).... Now I see that Pec and Water Pipit there this pm!

Aargh

Typical! I scanned the water meadows at Kelling thoroughly today and they were empty (6 Teal flew in and a few BH gulls).... Now I see that Pec and Water Pipit there this pm!

Aargh

You were not the only one, most of the locals did their daily check of the area. Presume the bird arrived about 11am, would have almost certainly have been found before if it had been there earlier.

John

I saw a late Common Swift as I was driving home from Titchwell this evening at Choseley crossroads.

Jays have certainly been moving through, flying over habitats not usually associated with them. There were large numbers of House Martins over Narford Lake on Sunday with a few Sand Martins too. There have been 3 Ruddy Shelduck at Pentney for a few days now.

Sue

I wonder if this is spread over most of Britain as well because a work colleague mentioned yesterday that where he goes shooting in north Warwickshire he noticed quite a few Jays about, far more than he would normally see.

John

Jays have certainly been moving through, flying over habitats not usually associated with them.

Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back