• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren, Worcs (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Went down to Upton Warren today hoping to catch a glimpse of waxwings as they have evaded me so far this winter. Arrived, parked the car and got out to put on my boots. I looked up and across the road towards the huge garden centre opposite the reserve. There, at the top of a bush was my prey. A quick look to confirm and I resumed putting on my boots. That was the one and only view of a waxwing today!

I went round the reserve and heard a water rail, my first in 3 years and then proceeded to the far side of the Moors pools to be told there was a jack snipe in amongst all the common snipe. Sure enough, there it was bobbing up and down. Three year ticks in one day at the end of the year...excellent news indeed and caps off my second best year ever, just under 100 behind my best, 2008.

The water levels at UW were very high, especially as this time last year some of the pools were virtually dry, what a difference 9 months of rain makes.

Roll on 2013 and what I expect will be an excellent year for birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back