• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great white egret in Hertfordshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Triplet

I went for a walk earlier in a park in my town in eastern Hertfordshire and could only see common birds such as magpies, woodpigeons, a couple of robins etc...then I walked alongside a stream/small river with vegetation on both sides and a patch of trees and undergrowth on the other side to me (or possibly on a small island - I can't remember now). I stopped and looked, then lo and behold a grey heron and a great white egret both took off from among the trees and flew off.

I don't have a picture I'm afraid, because I was so surprised to see the egret (and it was flying away from me) I didn't have time to get my camera out. But I can absolutely swear that it was a great white egret, although they're rare visitors to the UK. It was the same size as the grey heron so definitely wasn't a little egret, and I don't think it was a leucistic grey heron, either. I've watched this video http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/bto-bird-id-little-egret-and-great-white-egret to be sure.

Great find, Triplet! :t: :king:

There are quite a few Great White Egrets around the area at the moment: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and a few in Northamptonshire.

But, oddly enough, there doesn't appear to have been a single record in Hertfordshire this year (or winter even), so I would strongly suggest (if you are sure it was a Great White) you forward the relevant information to the county bird recorder, by quickly filling in the form below:

http://www.hnhs.org/birds/recordssubmission.php

This way if it's still in the area, some more people might be able to see it - Certainly those looking for a rare opportunity to add one onto their Herts lists.

Thanks, Shore Lark! And sorry for not replying sooner - totally forgot that I hadn't. I took your advice and filled in the online form you gave. :)

Aside from size, foot colour (and leg length) would be the most importamt features to get on a bird flying away from you ...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back