• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forum warbler year list (II) (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
Since my original thread is still being updated, members can post any warbler sightings here. The idea is to see as many "New" and "Old World" warblers as possible this year. I will keep a list and post our results.

dennis

10 Chiffchaffs on Grand Western Canal (Sat 22nd March 2003).

Others reported by other members. Let's all make a really big list?

Surprisingly I saw no warblers in Kenya but then again we didn't visit any reedbeds or such.

Thanks for your response Andrew. I read your trip report from Kenya and really enjoyed it. So far 25 "new" and 7 "old".

dennis

dennis can I suggest you put a list in one of your posts, it can be updated by yourself then and saves on anyone repeating the same warblers to you.

for what its worth, so far this year, I have had Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Yellow-browed warbler and Sardinian warbler, as well as Goldcrest (I've not seen locally Dartford and Cettis warblers or I would be at 7 as well) :t:

Harry Hussey can add a Dartie. Hope he "submits" it. Although if not it will easily be added sometime sooner or later.

Ashley,

What is the latin name for Yellow-browed? This is one of those birds with different names depending on your reference material.

dennis

Nice job Ashley. We call it Inorate Warbler. According to my reference, this species is not very common in the UK. Am I incorrect?

dennis

Its a scarce migrant, as opposed to a rarity, you get about 50 or so throughout the year. 1 over wintered this year at stiffkey in Norfolk.

O.K. Here is the list so far:

"old world"

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Bonelli's
Willow
Cettis
Dartford
Sardinian
Yellow-browed

"new world"

Northern Parula
Prothonotary W.
Black and White W.
Yellow-rumped W.
Palm W.
Tropical Parula
Blackburian W.
Olive-crowned Yellowthroat
Slate-throated Redstart
Spectacled Redstart
Choco W.
Black-crested W.
Russet-crowned W.
Three-striped W.
Buff-rumped W.
Tennessee W.
Canada W.
Pine W.
Black-throaed Green W.
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's W.
Louisiana Waterthrush
Nashville W.
Orange-crowned W.
Yellow-throated W.

That is 8 and 25 = 33 Keep them coming!

dennis

Dennis:

I've been doing a bit of research on cisticolas and I've found out that we're both right. On a website I found the following: "Sibley & Monroe (1990) and those following that sequence elevate the Cisticolas to family rank. Including the Cisticolinae as a subfamily within the Old World Warblers corresponds to usual Old World assignments as delineated by both the Birds of the Western Palearctic and the Birds of Africa series." So the choice is yours.

BTW goldcrest (Regulus regulus) and firecrest (Regulus ignicapillus) are in Sylviidae according to BWP, so I would include them in a warbler list.

Sorry if I have caused a problem - I thought scientific ordering was meant to avoid confusion not cause it! I look forward to seeing your final list and will add any I can

Thank-you Robin. I guess I can't stop causing debate but..... Firecrest and Goldcrest are now included in the family Regulidae, Kinglets. Open to discussion. As to Cisticolas, since they are now considered their own family, I will consider them seperate from warblers. Again debate welcomed.

don't shoot,
dennis

I'm not shooting and as this is your show I'll go with whatever you say. It just goes to show that there is no one answer. You'll excuse me if I add 3 to your numbers for my own satisfaction from birds I have seen(i.e. zitting cisticola, firecrest and goldcrest).

Sounds good Robin. Now bring on the warblers.

Anyone that already has traveled this year and may have some 2003 warbler sightings please check in.

As mentioned in my previos thread 116 "new world" and 279 "old world" species are possible(as per Clements' "Birds of the World, A Checklist"). Clements' work is the "offical" list used by North American birders(ie. the American Birding Assoc.). Since this is my only reference for this project, I will use it as my guide. Thanks to Robin I have learned that European birders may consider some other species as belonging to the warbler family. This, of course is quite reasonable considering the various reference materials used around the globe. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could have the same list with all the same names!?

Happy birding,
dennis

A few sylviids to add:

Clamorous Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus stentoreus)
Little Grassbird (Megalurus gramineus)
Golden-headed Cisticola (Cisticola exilis)

All in family sylviidae according to the official Australian list; Christidis & Boles (1994), and Sibley & Alquist.

Thanks Mike,

The Little Grassbird and Clamorous Reed-Warbler are both considered warblers by all world lists(as far as I know).

Great to see we have an Australian participating in this little venture!

good health and good birds,
dennis

Totals to date:

10 of 279 "old world" warblers

25 of 116 "new world" warlers

plus the following which are in the warbler family in many, but not all, reference materials:

Golden-headed Cisticola
Zitting Cisticola
Firecrest
Goldcrest

Cheers,
dennis

impressive list of warblers so far.. we're still getting socked with the white stuff up here in Michigan, & I'm needing a warbler fix in the worst way :-C

I see Steve Gross found Hooded Warbler on his Texas big day. Add one for the "new world" list.

dennis

Still trying to get this list up to date.

Paul(aka Camberley red) had the following on his trip to India this January.

Smoky Warbler
Tickell's Leaf Warbler
Chestnut-headed Tesia
Chestnut-crowned Bush-warbler
Lesser Whitethroat

I sent him a message in hopes of learning of any others he my have encountered on that trip.

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back