• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bins Choice - Help! (1 Viewer)

JamieG

I will be uprgrading my bins to either the standard Leica Ultravid 8x32, Zeiss 8x32FL or Swaro EL 8x32 later this year (40th birthday present).

What I am wondering is should I be looking at an 8x42 rather than the 8x32 models?

I go birding and general wild life watching and have a spotting scope for the longer distance stuff.

(Currently I have a pair of Opticron Imagics 8x42 and they are okay but I would like a more compact pair of bins but don't really want to compromise on viewing quality)

Its the Zeiss, Swaro or Leica for me (I'm sure Nikon etc are very good but its the three makes listed I'm soley interested in)

Help - what do most wild life watchers plumb for the 8x32 or 8x42?

Thanks for your time

8x42

bigger exit pupil size, brighter image (more lite comes in), easier to align, fewer chromatic abberations.

Tough decision. I really like my (cheap..250 dollars) 8x32s. At the mid price level, you get wide field here.Try them out. You will have a wider field of view than your current 8x42s with any of these.

But since you will not be buying both 8x32 and 8x42, best to see them both.FOV not that different at top end models.

I actually found Swaro 8.5x42s attractive, but the weight is a lot more, and the price a little bit.

For Leica, the 8x42s have one lighter model and all Leica 8x42 have a wide fov.

Last edited:
I have just received a fine pair of 8X32 swaro ELs and love them. they replace my Opticron 8x42, which I liked for their low weight. I have small hands which was another bonus of the opticrons, so the swaros fit just nicely - and the view.........sorry Opticron there's no going back!
I also seriously consider the benefits of lugging my scope with me now I have these bins, but no also hanker for a better scope........... start saving!

You have to go and try them, Jamie...too much depends on your hands, your build, etc. I prefer the Swaro 8x32 because if I'm out on a dedicated birding trip, I have a scope anyway, and if I'm out for a more casual stroll (with Mrs. S. and the kids, for example) I want something smaller and lighter around my neck. I had Swaro 10x42 but sold them because I found them quite heavy for long periods around my neck, and my rather girly hands fit better around the barrel of the 8x32. Quite apart from the 8x32 issue, you really need to try the other good brands (in which you should include the Nikon HGLs as they're reputed to be just as good at a third of the price). There are a host of other factors you need to consider apart from objective lens size, and it all comes down to a very personal choice. Enjoy choosing, and Happy Birthday!

Hi Jamie,

As Sancho said, you really have to try them for yourself.

In a perfect world, all binocular views would be just as satisfying with the only difference being magnification and field of view. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Outside of the 8x32 EL, I find that the small exit pupil diameter associated with 32mm bins makes ocular-eye alignment very critical and degrades the visual comfort level. I have owned the 8x32 Trinovid, Ultravid and FL and found all three to be excellent glass but irritatingly uncomfortable to use (YMMV!).

I have since decided that for me, a smaller package and a bit lighter weight is not worth the compromised view and I only use an Xx42 platform. I guess if I were going to spend all day with a pair of bins around my neck, I might think otherwise. My birding outings typically last 2-3 hours and a full-sized bin does not prove to be too heavy.

As I note above, the 8x32 EL does not seem to present the same problems for me as the Ultravids, Trinovids and FLs. It is ~.75 - 1.0 inches longer than the others, making it a bit less of a "compact" binocular. Perhaps the extra length allows for a more relaxed view, but I can't say for sure. I do know that I don't have the blackout problems or critical eye placement issues with the EL that I did with the others. Very nice little bin to be sure.

Let us all know what you decide!:t:

Rgds,

Steffan

Thanks again for the advice chaps.

I am waiting for a field test day to happen near me then I can have a really good try of the 8x32 and 8x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back