• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic BGA SE 7x42 (1 Viewer)

John - re eyecups on Imagic BGA SE 7x42. Unfortunately the eyecup assembly on that model is different to the 8x and 10x so didn't benefit from the revised, rounded edge rubber that those models got late in life.

Thanks Pete,

It`s a minor niggle in an otherwise lovely optic. I`m very sad to see this line has been dropped last year.

Just bought a brand new pair of these (old stock?) and although they weren’t exactly cheap, I think they are as impressive as the OP suggested. The edge to edge sharpness is as good as anything I’ve ever owned, that’s including Swarovski and Nikon HG. I’d actually go as far as saying better. The eye relief isn’t as large as I’d been led to understand, but with the cups screwed all the way in I do get full view without any problem, even wearing glasses as I do. I’ve yet to use these ‘in the field’, but will update later if anyone has any interest. I am of course aware that these are an obsolete model.

Hi Tractorman, I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Sorry to hear that you struggled with the eye relief - I have found no problems yet when using my thick framed specs - could it be the design of your glasses having an impact?
I purchased a pair in the latter half of last year, and was pleasantly surprised by them. I took them on a 15 trip to Ethiopia in November, where they were used by my partner (as well as occasionally by me). I must admit I struggled a little with the field of view, but otherwise they performed pretty well - the other half was quite impressed, and she enjoyed the larger exit pupil as well as (oddly as she has quite small hands) the tapered design of the model.
Edge sharpness is better than my newly acquired 7x42 FL's, and wasn't far off of my old Swarovski's. They make a great back up pair, but if I am honest I'm unlikely to use them as a secondary pair on an overseas trip again - I'd rather take my old Nikon HG's.
If only Opticron could release a VHD version with a 140m + fov, they would probably be onto a winner.
Slightly off topic but I wonder how they compare with the disco 7x42?

Hi Daniel
Well I don’t really struggle with the eye relief, or I’d be really unhappy, but I just expected more than what there is. For some odd reason it always takes me a while to set a new pair of bins up, and I think all will be fine once I have. I’m hoping to get out on the fens tomorrow and see how they stack up against my Nikon HG’s. Re my glasses design I think there’s something to 2hat you say. They slope back a bit towards my cheeks, and so only the top of the lens is touching the eye cup. Fortunately I’m due an eye test in a week or two, and I’ll be cautious about my new frame choice.
The edge to edge sharpness of these is exceptional; I struggle to find any drop-off. Colour appears to be perfectly neutral. Handling is certainly not as good as my Nikons due mainly to the poor positioning of the strap lugs, which was why I got I got rid of my 8x42 Swaros. I really only intended them to be the ‘emergency’ pair that are left permanently in the car, so I think they’ll be fine for that. I’ll hopefully know more tomorrow, when I’ll compare them side by side with my Nikons, and will report back.
Re the disco 7x42’s I’ve no idea, never heard of ‘em!
Glad you’re interested anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back