• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

manfrotto 190xb and 128lp head (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, is the head 128 LP head not overkill for the manfrotto 190xb tripod ?? i want to use it together with a leica scope 65mm .

Not overkill but quite sturdy.

You could go to a smaller head with a 65mm scope (e.g. 700RC2) and reduce the total weight.

And the LP isn't QR which can be a pain if you move the scope/tripod around. The 128RC is QR.

i have on the 128 LP a quik release plate from gitzo so i can move it forward so that the scope is in balance on the head !! So it is sturdy and not overkill on the 190 manfrotto ?.

As I said: "Not overkill but quite sturdy."

It will work fine for your application. And the cork on the 128LP will probably help damping too though the tripod will be the weakest point.

Post a photo of the 128LP and the QR you use with it. I have a couple of 128LP that aren't being used and I've been thinking about adding QR adaptors to them Manfrotto 357N in my case as the 323 adaptors don't fit too well.

Last edited:
By the way, let me bump this topic to ask a similar question of my own... a polite hijacking =P

I am also between the 190 vs 055 issue.

The thing is. Probably I won´t be using a heavy assembly with 80scope + Adapter + bigSLR... I plan to use only the scope.

I am just worried about the height. Is the 190 ok for a 80 straight scope?

I really don´t plan to put more than 2.5 kg above it... so I thought that maybe the 055 is overkill.

Insights anyone?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back