• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Saw them leave! (1 Viewer)

tracy

I am so happy as this morning three of my blue-tit chicks left the box and we saw them go,my two children were amazed.I had no idea how many were inside or if we missed any leave but to watch three safely fly off was great and very rewarding.Still have parents feeding the chicks in another box but they to must be almost ready to go,i will miss the comings and goings of the parents and the cheeping from the chicks!

tracy said:
I am so happy as this morning three of my blue-tit chicks left the box and we saw them go,my two children were amazed.I had no idea how many were inside or if we missed any leave but to watch three safely fly off was great and very rewarding.Still have parents feeding the chicks in another box but they to must be almost ready to go,i will miss the comings and goings of the parents and the cheeping from the chicks!

Must be a brilliant feeling Tracy. I have a Great Tit family feeding their chicks in our nest box in the garden. I have never had anything breed in any garden I have had before so this is a momentus occasion for both me & the missus. Unfortunately as I work I can bet that I won't see the chicks go but it would be the icing on the cake if we do.

Makes it worthwhile when you see them leave! I'll just tell you my little story that happened a year ago with our blue tit nest box. We very often don't know there is a nest in there until we see the parents going in and out with food. On this occasion, to my amazement, I saw not a blue tit, but a great tit going into the box with food - but then to my horror, the second parent, presumably the male and a big larger, was going absolutely crackers because he couldn't fit into the hole. We couldn't imagine what we could do at first but then I asked husband to climb the tree and take off the metal plate around the hole to see if this might give just that little bit more room. He did so, climbed back down the tree and by the time he had come back into the house both parents were able to go in and out! Phew! I was also lucky enough to see them leave a few weeks later - 6 of them.

Lucky You!

Tracy, you are so lucky - I missed mine going! I came home last Friday and the nesting box was clearly empty (no cheeps or parents around) and I was distraught, wondering if they'd all died. But then I noticed 2 baby chicks wandering around in the garden - they could hardly fly and the parents kept coming back to feed them, but I was very worried about cats or magpies getting them, so I kept guard for as long as I could! The next morning there was no sign of them, so I'm hoping that means they flew off eventually and are now in the trees at the bottom of the garden! Does anyone know if that's normal, for one or two of the chicks to have trouble flying at first? I assumed they would all know what to do!

tracy said:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back