Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 6th November 2012, 14:29   #1
pippenjordan46
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15
ATM 80HD + DCA + Canon G7 ? help me out !

hey guys

i just received my ATMn 80HD, i have a Canon G7 on hand, im thinking to get a DCA for digiscoping with canon G7.

im really new to this, and knows nothing , the filter thread for G7 is 58mm, but DCA doest come with a 58mm filter plate. how can i sort out the problem ? or should i use DCB-A or DCB II ? or change another camera? i wanna save money and keep using G7 with DCA. heaps of thanks.

Andy
pippenjordan46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th November 2012, 19:00   #2
rob lee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: norfolk
Posts: 650
Hi Andy

If the G7 is like most of the other Canon G series (I have the G10) I`m afraid to say that it probably wont work for digiscoping, irrespective of what adapter you have. The problem being that as you zoom the camera in to reduce vignetting, the lens inside the camera barrel retracts towards the body thus making vignetting worse. Check out previous posts concerning this matter. I believe you can get around this by using a long eye relief eyepiece which of course would be more costly. Neil F knows far more about this than me & may post further suggestions.

Rob.
rob lee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th November 2012, 00:47   #3
pippenjordan46
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob lee View Post
Hi Andy

If the G7 is like most of the other Canon G series (I have the G10) I`m afraid to say that it probably wont work for digiscoping, irrespective of what adapter you have. The problem being that as you zoom the camera in to reduce vignetting, the lens inside the camera barrel retracts towards the body thus making vignetting worse. Check out previous posts concerning this matter. I believe you can get around this by using a long eye relief eyepiece which of course would be more costly. Neil F knows far more about this than me & may post further suggestions.

Rob.
Rob,
thanks for the answers, im very new and feel a bit confused for those terms. anyway, im working on it. maybe i will use a DCB-A instead. its easier.
pippenjordan46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th November 2012, 08:52   #4
dalat
.
 
dalat's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippenjordan46 View Post
Rob,
thanks for the answers, im very new and feel a bit confused for those terms. anyway, im working on it. maybe i will use a DCB-A instead. its easier.
Hi, before deciding on an adapter, you should check if your camera can be used for digiscoping. I also believe the G7 cannot, but best you check this yourself.

Hold you camera close to the eyepiece of the scope and try different distance between lens and eyepiece, at different camera zoom positions. If you manage to get a frame filling image on your camera display, your cam is good for digiscoping. If you are only able to get a small image circle in the middle of a black screen, this means too much vignetting and your cam is not good for digiscoping.

Perhaps you have a simple compact camera as well? Try this one as well, it might be more usable.

Best, Florian
dalat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 11th November 2012, 02:46   #5
pippenjordan46
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15
hi Florian,

thank you so much for those wise words, i read them carefully. i may buy another compact digital camera for digiscoping. any suggestions?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Hi, before deciding on an adapter, you should check if your camera can be used for digiscoping. I also believe the G7 cannot, but best you check this yourself.

Hold you camera close to the eyepiece of the scope and try different distance between lens and eyepiece, at different camera zoom positions. If you manage to get a frame filling image on your camera display, your cam is good for digiscoping. If you are only able to get a small image circle in the middle of a black screen, this means too much vignetting and your cam is not good for digiscoping.

Perhaps you have a simple compact camera as well? Try this one as well, it might be more usable.

Best, Florian
pippenjordan46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 20th November 2012, 01:05   #6
pippenjordan46
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15
thank you for detailed answers, i got this, G7 is not suitable for digiscoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Hi, before deciding on an adapter, you should check if your camera can be used for digiscoping. I also believe the G7 cannot, but best you check this yourself.

Hold you camera close to the eyepiece of the scope and try different distance between lens and eyepiece, at different camera zoom positions. If you manage to get a frame filling image on your camera display, your cam is good for digiscoping. If you are only able to get a small image circle in the middle of a black screen, this means too much vignetting and your cam is not good for digiscoping.

Perhaps you have a simple compact camera as well? Try this one as well, it might be more usable.

Best, Florian
pippenjordan46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 20th November 2012, 08:11   #7
dalat
.
 
dalat's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippenjordan46 View Post
i may buy another compact digital camera for digiscoping. any suggestions?
Hi, I just bought a Canon S95, which works fine. The current models S100 and S110 should also work. But there are may be even better options. If you read the "digiscoping cameras" forum, you'll find a lot of options. The Sony RX100 seems to be the currently favoured model.

Another interesting option, which should work with the ATM, seems to be the new APO-TLS adapter, with a Micro 4/3 camera such as the Lumix G....
dalat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 21st November 2012, 22:02   #8
lmans66
Registered User
 
lmans66's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Jersey, USA and Tuscan AZ, USA
Posts: 1,886
Blog Entries: 12
I have the Canon S90, which is akin to the S95, 100 and 110, they work... But I recently just bought (haven't used yet) a Nikon P310 which I feel is a great digiscoping camera.... jim
__________________
lmans
lmans66 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adapter for Canon IXUS 220 HS + Swarovski ATM 80HD Joseph N Digiscoping Adapters 1 Sunday 28th August 2011 20:41
Lens shade stuck on new ATM-80HD sonofjon Swarovski 5 Friday 21st May 2010 06:16
ATM 80HD Filter Query jon481961 Swarovski 5 Wednesday 30th December 2009 14:00

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19179511 seconds with 20 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57.