• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slide Copying (1 Viewer)

birder

Hi team!

I have a Coolpix 4500 and a Nikon D100. I also have over 15,000 35mm slides which I use for my lectures. I would like to copy the slides into a digital format. What would be the best way to do it, and with which camera?

I have tried putting the slides on a light box and mounting the Coolpix 4500 directly above and photographing that way, but am not impressed.

I have also tried the Jessops 35mm slide copier, mounted onto the front of my D100 body, but it gives too much of a close up of the slide (i.e., it crops a lot of the slide out of the image).

Has anyone got any other ideas, for example, has anyone used the Nikon ES E28 for the Coolpix? Does it reproduce 1:1, i.e. all the original slide, and can you still use the zoom facility (I assume you can)?

Finally, what is the best lighting method - point at the sky aor bounce flash off a white screen?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin Elsby

Having tried a special box for copying slides with an slr a few years ago, finding it time consuming, fiddly and giving poor results, I bought a HP scanjet 5470c. It has an attachment which takes 4 slides or negs at a time and it is still time consuming but I am pleased with the results so far. There are no doubt newer, better and cheaper scanners on the market in the year since I bought that. And I still have boxes of slides awaiting transfer. I am considering attaching the scanner to laptop and working thru them in the living room in front of the tele!

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back