• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (5 Viewers)

Was quite tempted to hang on to it, but no way would it fit in the freezer, and it has gone a bit mild in the last day or two ... Suzi would not be impressed, even though it is valentine's day ;)

Actually gone and put in on a fresh thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250720

Size etc on birds close up always tricky!

Agree, ID on such close range is difficult to judge. The bill does seem a little slim for GND but I would still opt for this species due to the clear angle in the lower mandible. Admittedly, I can't omit White-billed Diver as a remote possibility but I put that out there more as a joking comment on the very worn and faded white bill,

Agree, ID on such close range is difficult to judge. The bill does seem a little slim for GND but I would still opt for this species due to the clear angle in the lower mandible. Admittedly, I can't omit White-billed Diver as a remote possibility but I put that out there more as a joking comment on the very worn and faded white bill,

Cheers. Going on the measurements seems to be a small individual, otherwise, yes GND. The bill was actually black-tipped, so not WB, you can rest easy ;)

Thanks Dan, It did look significantly smaller than the bird I found and I must admit they usually appear much larger when out of the water. Good find though,

14 Fulmar on the sea off Swanpool this morning, 1 Med Gull on Swanpool with 100+ BH Gulls.

20 Lapwing flying around farmland at the south end of Argal Res.

There was an Iceland Gull reported at Stithians the other day - one should come through a bit closer to home one day soon. Hopefully!

Been away a few days, and it seems to have gone rather quiet. Weather not really helping - small grebes etc in big seas and wind not so easy or fun!

Attempted a seawatch from the shelter at Gyllyngvase yesterday mid-morning - 5 probable common scoter, auks, kittiwakes, fulmar, diver sp. and interestingly, a shearwater sp., all west. Went around to Pendennis to hopefully get better viewing conditions but nothing much happened. Oh well.

Today half scanned the bay and rocks, but nothing of any note whatsoever. Although there were 2 dead adult Gannets on Swanpool Beach - currently residing on the back seat of the car.

Last edited:
hoping to visit the Falmouth area for 4x days at Easter and wondered if someone could advise about access and parking when visiting College reservoir ? can you walk from Argal ? and if so is it across the fields or along the road ?
Also is there a height restriction barrier to the Argal Reservoir car park which would stop a hi-top campervan from parking ?

(There are some birds still about though.)

Argal Res -

Great Crested Grebe 4, Tufted Duck 9, Mute Swan 2, Mallard 2, BH Gull c.200, Cormorant 3 as viewed from the dam.

College Res -

Mute Swan 2, Canada Goose 4, Cormorant 5+, Grey Heron, Wigeon 49, Tufted Duck 25, Coot 22, Moorhen 5, Snipe 5, Goldeneye 3f, Pochard 1m, GCGrebe 1, Little Grebe 1, Kingfisher 1

Gorrangorras - high tide - Teal 30, Greenshank 1, Little Egret 3, Redshank 5, Dunlin 1, BH Gull 250, LBBGull 2, Herring Gull 10, GBBGull 1

hoping to visit the Falmouth area for 4x days at Easter and wondered if someone could advise about access and parking when visiting College reservoir ? can you walk from Argal ? and if so is it across the fields or along the road ?
Also is there a height restriction barrier to the Argal Reservoir car park which would stop a hi-top campervan from parking ?

I haven't done it but I guess parking at or near Asda would be the way to go if wishing to approach the reservoirs from the north end of College Res. On the OS map, and presumably online there are footpaths joning Penryn to College Res.

There is no height barrier at the Argal Reservoir, although it is a small car park. A small camper van shouldn't a prob.

One can do both reservoirs from any access point - just a matter of crossing and walking a short distance along the road between the two.

thats excellent thank you. The campervan will be our only transport so its important that we can access the car parks so thats a relief.

Asda may well be the safer parking spot too. Thanks for the tip:t:

Had a look at the Carrick Roads from Mylor Churchtown this afternoon - rather bad haze (cold haze?) on the water, but c. 15 BN Grebes, Great Northern Diver, 2 diver sp., 9 Red-breasted Mergansers, 7 probable Goldeneye and 2 Razorbill.

Usual suspects at Gorrangorras - c.30 Redshank, 3 Greenshank, Snipe etc.

Wander around by the golf course this morning - rather quiet.

Swanpool had 2 Water Rail, Chiffchaff, Great Crested Grebe, Grey Wagtail etc

This morning at Gorrangorras -

Oystercatcher 5, Snipe 1, Greenshank 2, Curlew c.30, Redshank c.30
Mute Swan 2, Little Grebe 1, Moorhen 1, Little Egret 6, BH Gull 40

This afternoon, College Res -

1f Goldeneye
6 Mallard
10 Wigeon
15 Canada Goose
17 Cormorant
18 Tufted Duck
26 Coot
15+ Herring Gull

and the hitherto rather elusive - 1 Treecreeper!

Argal had 7 Tufted Duck, 2 GCGrebe, 2 Mute Swan

Any ideas?

Hi all,
Have just been for my afternoon stroll at Ruan and saw the attached bird. It was a fair way from me but has any one any idea what it is.

Also saw a grey wagtail, curlew, 2 redshanks, 2 shelducks, 2 mallards, 2 teal, 2 little egrets and 170+ wigeon, plus assorted gulls further out.

Attachments

• DSC01321.JPG
    DSC01321.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 84
Got to be ... sometimes they can be out in the open like this.

Had a slightly weird one today - happened to look out the bedroom window to see a Redwing sat in the middle of the road. A nearby cat was running away. After a short while motionless and crouched down it flew off. Just after a large raptor flew over the house away from me and obscured by trees out of sight. Narrowed it down to Peregrine. Presumably an unsuccessful hunt, and put off landing by the cat/built up area. My best bet anyway.

Whimbrel and 13 Oystercatchers at Castle Beach this morning.

Gorrangorras had another 5 Oyks, with 30 Curlew, 40 Redshank, 2 Greenshank, 45+ Teal, 8 Mute Swan, 2 Little Grebe and a flock of 7 Goldfinches in furious aerial shenanigans over the water.

Stoat or weasel

Thanks for the id on the snipe. Saw it the following day and it was definately a snipe.
I know its not a bird but can anyone tell me whether the attached is a stoat or a weasel. It was quite big and had a bushy tail. I think it is more likely to be a stoat.
Also saw today approx 399 lapwing, 20 curlew, 2 mute swans, 100+ wigeon, 6 canada geese and a couple of teal

Attachments

• DSC01372.jpg
    DSC01372.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 68
I know its not a bird but can anyone tell me whether the attached is a stoat or a weasel. It was quite big and had a bushy tail. I think it is more likely to be a stoat.

Don't know what to look for on this shot but think you must be right if you thought it big and bushy tailed ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back