• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SASOL coverage of Victoria Falls/Caprivi Strip (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,
next June we are headed back to Namibia, but this time we are heading north to the Caprivi Strip including Rundu, Bagani, Mudumu National Park, Chobe-Kasane, and then on to Livingstone and the Victoria Falls.

My question is: Will the SASOL cover all the bird species this far north?
If not, do you have a recommendation for something more suitable?

Many thanks.

Hi Andy,
Stonechat is correct that SASOL covers the Caprivi strip so no problems for you!
But in actual fact it only covers southern Mozambique.
cheers
James

Hi Andy,

Im guessing that you will drive the southern route thru Zambia to get to Vic Falls, rather than thru Zim? This route & Livingstone area is so close to the SASOL range there is unlikely to be much additional species. Id check some trip reports for SW Zambia and Livingstone to see what additional species may occur, if any, I cant recall off the top of my head.

If you are worried then Birds of Africa South of the Sahara is prob your best bet. There is a dedicated guide to fill the gap for Zambia, but i think it is out of print. See for more details: http://www.africanbirdclub.org/countries/Zambia/books Fourth title down.

Have a great trip,

Last edited:
I have birded in Victoria Falls, Zim, and had no problems with the birds I saw relative to the SASOL guide.

Niels

Thanks very much everyone. My SASOL is up to date. We'll be chauffeured in from the Namibia border, as we won't be needing our vehicle from that point on, then fly out of Livingstone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back