• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks in flight in Vermont, U.S. (1 Viewer)

They seem like Mallards to me (e.g. extensively white underwing, orange legs). Maybe a chance they might be Black Ducks, but I'm not sure they're dark enough. Definitely not Pintail.

Okay, thanks! Now I don't know what to say to the eBird reviewer. She thought they were black ducks, two others agreed to Gadwall (by shape), and two of you say Mallard. And I don't have much experience with ducks, especially in flight. We may never know for sure, I guess. Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
The strong contrast between dark underbody and shining white wing linings on all birds supports Black Duck. Certainly not Pintail or Gadwall.

RB

But since they are backlit, the white trailing edge to the secondaries could be caused by the light shining through the tips of the feathers, right?

Black Duck shows narrow white tips to secondaries - at least drakes do! Comparing images of the two species in flight from beneath (and backlit where possible), I can't see any reason to discount this species.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back