Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 18:30   #26
mak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Trouble is Gary, it says the following on the can:
Stops Squeaks
Loosens Rusted Parts
Frees Sticky Mechanisms
And in other walks of life like DIY, car and motorcycle maintenance etc etc it is quite effective.

You can see why people are tempted to use it.

But your advice about not using it on binoculars is certainly to be heeded.

Lee
Lee
This is why I do wonder about some of the posters on this forum ( note, I say some). The comments made by Gary H given with expert advice are questioned, this guy is possibly the best binocular service engineer in the U.K, with a wealth of experience of servicing / repairing Alpha brands.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 19:12   #27
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak View Post
Lee
This is why I do wonder about some of the posters on this forum ( note, I say some). The comments made by Gary H given with expert advice are questioned, this guy is possibly the best binocular service engineer in the U.K, with a wealth of experience of servicing / repairing Alpha brands.
Which posts were questioning Gary's advice? Some were having some fun with WD40 but I did not read them as questioning Gary's recommendation.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 19:33   #28
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak View Post
Lee
MAK
We are an opionionated and argumentative bunch on Bird Forum but nobody has questioned Gary's advice in this thread at all.

The purpose behind listing those claims from the WD40 can, which suggest lubricating properties contradicting Gary's statement, was to finish the post saying that Gary's advice should nevertheless be followed.

We all appreciate Gary's posts and if he has the time to post more frequently in the future we would all benefit from his experience.

Lee
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 03:58   #29
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymh View Post
hi,

WD40 is a water repellent and NOT a lubricant - the clue is in the name WD = water displacement !!!!!!

And because it is a water repellent it is virtually impossible to clean off once it has been applied - the only good thing is that it earns repairers a fortune because they normally double the price to repair anything that smells of WD40.
It's like the extra charge you hand out after a person tries to follow all the neat repair tips found on binocular forums. I think that works out to about 8% more, annually. Heck, techs have to eat, too.

Gary, I have a pm coming for you, tomorrow.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: