• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Managed a 10 min stop at Whitlingham CP early this afternoon; can highly recommend it at the moment, especially if you're a photographer type. Much of the broad is frozen with clear water on the south side, just right with the sun behind and seemingly fearless ducks at close range. The fem. Scaup was initially at the east end but did a close fly past to the west with 4 Tufted which was nice. For any novices, beware the few 'pseudo Scaup' Tufties...

James

Titchwell January 6th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 38 on beach east of platform
Water pipit - 1 over reedbed
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 3 in scrub near visitor centre, 2 on saltmarsh
Stonechat - 1 on saltmarsh from main path
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Avocet - 6 on brackish marsh

Paul

Runton Med Gull

Don't know if this has been mentioned already - but I was at West Runton cliffs a few times over the new year with the wife and there is/was a cracking Med Gull around the car park area. See attached pic...

Also, on a sea watch on the 3rd I managed to find lots of divers (Black and Red throated), a few Gannets and a male Eider!

Attachments

• IMG_0468 small.JPG
    IMG_0468 small.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi Thing,

that Med Gull has been a regular feature for the last few years, usually on the ploughed field but also on the beach and behind Beeston Church on the cricket pitch (nearer Sheringham).

BTW really like your local patch thread, can get to appreciate how spoilt we are up here, but at least you get the patch to yourself (something that can't always be guaranteed up here!)

Spent the day around Holme & Titchwell etc. Good to find Tree Sparrow, Slavonian Grebe etc.

However, the wierdest sighting of the day came off Gore Point. Whilst looking at 4 gorgeous male Long-tailed Duck, my attention moved to a single goose on the sea. Assuming it would be a Brent I slowly looked at it, to find that it was a small, 'brown' goose - pink-footed in structure, which is what I thought is was until I noticed the orange in th black bill! It was a Tundra Bean Goose! Has anyone else ever seen them sitting on the sea?!?

Feel free to check out my new blog: http://ruralchill.blogspot.com/

Well and truly gripped David, not on my patch list and think the last Holme record may have been some years ago (did you let the obs team know? - please email them if not). Also good to hear the sea was at all reasonable - has been very poor lately - and excellent to hear the Long-tailed Ducks are beginning to congregate.

Cheers,

C

p.s. you have mail!

Well and truly gripped David, not on my patch list and think the last Holme record may have been some years ago (did you let the obs team know? - please email them if not). Also good to hear the sea was at all reasonable - has been very poor lately - and excellent to hear the Long-tailed Ducks are beginning to congregate.

Cheers,

C

p.s. you have mail!

Done! Got your PM y'day. Not really enough time to follow it up properly today - hence just a quick trip to Sculthorpe, but wil do soon

Hi Thing,

that Med Gull has been a regular feature for the last few years, usually on the ploughed field but also on the beach and behind Beeston Church on the cricket pitch (nearer Sheringham).

BTW really like your local patch thread, can get to appreciate how spoilt we are up here, but at least you get the patch to yourself (something that can't always be guaranteed up here!)

Thanks and thanks!

Interesting to see a report of 30 Twite at Thornham today - made me giggle it has to be said but if anyone has any extra info please let me know.

In fact Connor, just to add to that report yesterday, there were 35 by the harbour on 2nd January.

Why the giggles? It's a regular site

Thanks James, Tried for them Tuesday lunch with no luck. Will hopefully try again tomorrow.

Hope you had better luck today! I got the bus up to Dussindale before work and saw a flock of 22 this morning, but they were very mobile, flying off every time a bus or van went past. I last saw them along Dussindale Drive near the roundabout with Winstanley Road/Newbury Way.

James

Titchwell January 8th

Today's highlights

Brambling - 1 on feeders
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed at dusk
Spotted redshank - 2 on brackish marsh

Paul

In fact Connor, just to add to that report yesterday, there were 35 by the harbour on 2nd January.

Why the giggles? It's a regular site

Sorry, to clarify probably should have done yesterday but I was pushed for time - the last few times I have been to Thornham Harbour (normally just to drop in) I have met someone who I presume is a local to whom I have aksed the question 'had much' and on at least three occasions he has replied 'about 30 Twite'. I was pleased by this - it has been another exceptionally poor winter for this species on the north Norfolk coast and especially at this site (indeed the worst for at least 4 or 5 years according to all the locals I speak to - would apprecaite a heads up if anyone thinks or knows differently and yes I am aware it is a regular wintering site Josh). Walking to the area he told me I found 30 Linnets. Next time he told me he had seen some Twite I asked him if he could show me them - he showed me an obvious group of Linnets and the next time the same, despite my (eventually fairly heated) protests. He told me his experience told him they were Twites (!) and that he should get round to reporting them to the 'birdlines' one of these days as they are actually quite scarce!!!!! So when I hear a report of 30 Twite it seems to me most likely they are from this source. I could be wrong (and again please let me know if anyone knows differently) but the above and the fact that many claimed groups of Twites at this site in the past have also been Linnets means I believe I had a fair base for my cynisism. Apologies to anyone who may have been worried (!!!) or slightly offended.

2 Bearded Tits at Welney today. Also saw (in the record book) 30 Twite (where have I heard that before?) - none of the wardens had reported any, but if the record is genuine its a good one.

Not good enough!!

Sorry, to clarify probably should have done yesterday but I was pushed for time -
light

No, sorry Connor thats a useless explanation and your still bang out of order :-O:-O

I think what you've highlighted is similar to the Willow Tit situation, Twite are becoming very scarce in the county so any records need to be described and documented thoroughly moreso than when they were regular, last year appeared to be a slight uplift in numbers but as you say this year we seem to be back down to worryingly low no's, we can't just assume that historic regular sites are still going to produce now. It is a concern that the flock at Thornham could be a complete distortion.

when i recover from my Laryngitis :-C:-C, i'll check the flock that is being reported in the Morston/Stiffkey area although, if i do see them i'll write a description of them on here as i now think its becoming increasingly important,
also hoping to get along to Holme soon :t:

Last edited:
Oh no! I saw a small flock of finches from my office window on Tuesday (St Andrew's Business park, Norwich)- I assumed they were linnets! Perhaps they were the rare twites instead!!!:-O:-O:-O There must have been close to, oh, I don't know, thirty or so?? o:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back