• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Two near orgies and more folly

I crumpled again today and, this time, ventured south, blithely Blickling.

The Great Wood held three Great-spots, two of which were chasing around in that strange display flight, screeching; the other vainly having to contend with being an onlooker at the party.

Not too far away, three Robins had adopted exactly the same behaviour- I was able to video the two 'more friendly' ones, fluttering coyly at each other.

Spring can't be far away.

My couple of hours enjoyed the frequent punctuation of shotgun blasts, from a group helpfully massacring squirrels.

The confirmation that this was, indeed, more folly is given by the photo. It hasn't strayed from the 'Ancient Egypt' forum, but is the Mausoleum, containing the remains of an 18th century Earl and his two wives- presumably not concurrent !

Attachments

• P1050882#001.jpg
    P1050882#001.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 98
I was lucky enouh to have a Bittern at Denver Sluice today. I was wondering if anyoine had seen them recently at Cley/Titchwell? Bitterns are only seen at the Sluice on passage and my theory was that this bird may have left Cley/Titchwell as its favoured feeding areas had frozen. Jut a thought...
A cracking bird anyway!

A good record Mr. Sim! Our Bittern population is boosted most winters by continental immigrants but because of their often secretive nature, they are easily overlooked and many must go unrecorded...

James

A good record Mr. Sim! Our Bittern population is boosted most winters by continental immigrants but because of their often secretive nature, they are easily overlooked and many must go unrecorded...

James

I've been wondering whether there are unusually high numbers in at the moment, possibly due to cold weather conditions on the continent in the past few weeks. I've stumbled into three in as many days birding, two in rather unusual places. This is not far short of the number I see in a year usually!

More birds than usual are being found in Suffolk too apparently. I was just wondering if it is national or local migration, or if its just that they are finding it harder to find food, so they are coming out into the open and being seen...
Thanks for your comments guys.

You could be right Ilya. Perhaps my posting was more of an assumption rather than based on 'hard facts' (although I'm sure there are some out there if I were to search), but this Bittern migration summary here is interesting and perhaps somewhat supportive...

James

More birds than usual are being found in Suffolk too apparently. I was just wondering if it is national or local migration, or if its just that they are finding it harder to find food, so they are coming out into the open and being seen...
Thanks for your comments guys.

Possibly a bit of both. I think rudd form a major part of their diet at this time of year and rudd aren't that tolerent of water much below 10 degrees C, so may have experienced a bit of a die-off or movement towards deeper, warmer water.

That said, I suspect quite a few undergone cold weather related movements to here to escape the even harsher conditions on the continent.

Edit: thanks for the link to that article James. I think, as you suggest, we always get an influx of some birds from the continent. What I wonder is whether part of the central European population is only partially migratory, with the numbers moving dependent upon weather conditions. Hence more birds in cold weather. The Birds of Norfolk seems to suggest as much, with a big influx in the last cold winter we had in 1995/96.

Last edited:
Whooping for joy when I found the way to Strumpshaw

For some reason, I 'lost' Strumpshaw. I recall this happening previously.

Despite being in the village, I could see no brown signs to the RSPB reserve.

These flyovers provided a momentary diversion- in addition to the diversions I had made in the car.

A couple of hours proved insufficient to locate one Penduline Tit, let alone a pair. The reed mace looks in pretty short supply: not enough to provide the insects to keep it/them on site (?). Nonetheless, there is a rather large area of reeds.

Remarkably, I find that the RSPB Strumpshaw website still has no entries for 'Recent Sightings' since 10 November 2008.

Attachments

• P1050899#001.jpg
    P1050899#001.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 136
I managed to have a fairly productive morning in mid-west Norfolk.
Decided to do the Hillington, Flitcham, Bircham back roads & farms etc.
Highlights included;

Amongst thousands of pinks,
1 Ross's Goose
2 Bean Geese- showing very well for a change
1 White Fronted Goose

6 Tree Sparrows
80+ Bramblings- I had 38 in one tree with at least a further 20 feeding on the ground as well as a couple of other smaller flocks along the roads.
1 lesser Redpoll
5 Buzzards inc 2 presumed pairs.
Decent numbers of Fieldfare and redwing along the hedges.
It seemed that there was a largish movement of curlew heading north throughout the morning too.

All in all a successful morning, particularly pleased to see so many Bramblings especially as they are beginning to look pretty smart, also good to be reassured that tree sparrows do exist in Norfolk in winter, I was beginning to think otherwise!

Ben

Titchwell February 18th

Today's highlights

Black brant - 1 with brent flock all day
Marsh harrier - 3 females over reedbed all day
Barn owl - 2 hunting over grazing meadow
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool, 1 on saltmarsh
Brambling - 4 around feeders
Bittern - 1 in flight from Fen Hide
Med gull - moulting adult on fresh marsh late afternoon
Shag - 1 offshore

Paul

6 Tree Sparrows

All in all a successful morning, particularly pleased to see so many Bramblings especially as they are beginning to look pretty smart, also good to be reassured that tree sparrows do exist in Norfolk in winter, I was beginning to think otherwise!

Ben

Interestingly, had my first garden record of tree sparrow in Briston (south of Holt) this morning. It spent ages trying to work out how to use the feeders but couldn't work out that the best time to visit was when there were no goldfinches on the perches :-O

Gordon

Quote from my site for trip to Thornham on 15/2/08 'One of the Ruffs was interestingly colour-ringed, with a red flag above the right knee, a blue ring below the right knee and a white ring below the left knee.' Same bird? I was told it had probably come from Holland.

Quote from my site for trip to Thornham on 15/2/08 'One of the Ruffs was interestingly colour-ringed, with a red flag above the right knee, a blue ring below the right knee and a white ring below the left knee.' Same bird? I was told it had probably come from Holland.

Hi Conner

It sadly does not sound like the Ruff I saw this Ruff only had one flag. The Ruff I saw also had a white head

Robert

Hi Conner

It sadly does not sound like the Ruff I saw this Ruff only had one flag. The Ruff I saw also had a white head

Robert

Sounds like the Ruff that was at Minsmere a year or so ago; there are not many with white heads (or are there?!), and the Mins bird was certainly colour ringed.
Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell February 20th

Today's highlights

Avocet - increase to 41 on lagoons
Med gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 3 at Thornham Point
Bittern - 1 in reed at edge of grazing marsh pool
Woodcock - 1 from Fen Hide, 2 in dunes
Pale bellied brent goose - adult on beach mid morning
Black brant - adult with brent flock
Brambling - 4 on feeders in picnic area
Great skua - 1 offshore

Paul

There have been at least 2 white headed individuals knocking around Cley NWT all winter - if you want any info on tagged ruff etc try contacting Cley Bird Club as there are a couple of very active birders who record tagged and ringed waders in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back