• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Great to finally get to the work party Yday (Cheers tim), nice to give something back, and hopefully will be the start of many more work partys to come (maybe after i can drive though8-P)
Highlight of the day was seeing the Harvest Mouse in the reed stubble, never seen one before, so feel quite privialidged :t:
And cat wait to see if anything nests on the unearthed shingle made by us young uns! ;)
Quite an odd feeling standing in places where ive seen so many rare birds, standing next to the reed stubble in front of the sewage works where the Pec sand spent most of its time, imagining the views you wouldve got!:-O
MB

Dropped into the Flashes this evening.

Found Sy with Laptop all technical with his weather station ;)

Nice sunset and 15 Curlew, Oystercatcher pair getting amorous, Large BHG roost, Gadwall Pair still, 3 Linnet, Female Sparrowhawk with a full crop flew through (see link below). No Avocet though and none reported at the Moors

Gav and Hayley reported an altercation between a Peregrine and 2 Carrion Crows. The latter harassed the former until the former attacked one of the latter 8-P

Links to photies from this evening below;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6810741758/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6956857069/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6956863009/in/photostream/

Eels

One thing we didn't mention about yesterday were the 2 dead eels.
I can't remember seeing them at the Flashes before. Why would they have died? any thoughts

As we start to progress through March it is worth refreshing everyone's memories as the earliest ever dates Spring migrants have been recorded on at Upton Warren over the years:

FEBRUARY
21st - Common Sandpiper (1984)

MARCH
3rd - Chiffchaff [singing] (2002, 2007)
5th - Sand Martin (2002, 2007)
11th - Little Ringed Plover (1995, 2003, 2009)
13th - White Wagtail (1977)
15th - Wheatear (2008)
15th - Garganey (1963, 1964)
16th - House Martin (2008)
19th - Blackcap [singing] (2007)
20th - Swallow (1998)
22nd - Ring Ouzel (1969)
23rd - Willow Warbler (2010)
26th - Whimbrel (1992)
29th - Sedge Warbler (1998)
29th - Yellow Wagtail (1993)
30th - Osprey (2002)
31st - Marsh Harrier (2008)

APRIL
2nd - Common Tern (2011)
3rd - Redstart (2002)
4th - Hobby (1987)
4th - Pied Flycatcher (1980)
9th - Whitethroat (2010)
10th - Reed Warbler (1995)
10th - Grasshopper Warbler (2010)
12th - Cuckoo (1974)
13th - Lesser Whitethroat (1974, 2007)
13th - Swift (1996)
13th - Tree Pipit (1993)
14th - Whinchat (1971)
14th - Wood Warbler (2009)
15th - Sandwich Tern (1996)
17th - Arctic Tern (2008, 2009)
17th - Black Tern ( 2003)
18th - Garden Warbler (1998)
18th - Little Tern (2002)
22nd - Spotted Flycatcher (2006)
24th - Greenland Wheatear (2005)
25th - Nightingale (1999)
26th - Blue-headed Wagtail (1970, 1978)
30th - Turtle Dove (1986)

MAY
13th - Golden Oriole (2000)
14th - Quail (1992)
25th - Red-necked Phalarope (1999)

I can't remember seeing them at the Flashes before. Why would they have died? any thoughts

Was talking about this to my Dad, was unsure why if something like Otter or Mink had taken them then why would they have no obvious cuts or marks on them? The one that I saw just looked a bit worse for wear but no obvious clues to what had caused it to haul out!

Spent an hour or so at UW this afternoon, as well as the amazing attack on a Carrion Crow by a Peregrine we observed the two Oyks mating on one of the shingle islands at the flashes.

The weirdest thing we saw though was a guy all dressed in cammo gear with a gun (looked like a .22 air rifle), he was just standing in the field behind the third flash staring at the hide. It seemed that once he had spotted us looking at him he walked off, this he did very slowly stopping every ten paces or so and staring back at the hide. This lasted several minutes before he disappeared across the field. Was a very bizarre incident indeed

I remember vividly on 16th April 2004, I watched as an Osprey hovered over the 2nd flash in the pouring rain, it stooped then plunged into the 2nd flash (near the water marker), picking up something long and thin but then promptly dropped it again. I always thought it might be an Eel as the flashes are likely to contain no other large fish - only small Sticklebacks and probably Eels (both can tolerate the salinity and the latter migrate across the Atlantic to spawn in the Sargasso Sea). Yesterday was the first time I've found solid evidence that there are Eels in the flashes though - no idea what might've killed them.

Last edited:
The weirdest thing we saw though was a guy all dressed in cammo gear with a gun (looked like a .22 air rifle), he was just standing in the field behind the third flash staring at the hide. It seemed that once he had spotted us looking at him he walked off, this he did very slowly stopping every ten paces or so and staring back at the hide. This lasted several minutes before he disappeared across the field. Was a very bizarre incident indeed

I think he was around yesterday; certainly he was walking the adjoining farm land at a recent work party (JTB tried to engage him in conversation). Think he is associated somehow with Sagebury Farm.

Remember seeing a Grey Heron struggling to swallow an eel many years ago at the Flashes. At one stage 50/50 as to whether the eel would strangle the heron - think they called a truce and both gave up after a while.

Spent an hour or so at UW this afternoon, as well as the amazing attack on a Carrion Crow by a Peregrine we observed the two Oyks mating on one of the shingle islands at the flashes.

He was seen sunday afternoon and also heard shooting in the fields by transmitter, from the bangs it definitely not .22 more like 12 bore. Whilst i am here, small gripe. What happened to the "quality cake" i was promised? its alright determining who goes for light or dark biscuits but i am more of a homemade cake man myself. Dennis

Was talking about this to my Dad, was unsure why if something like Otter or Mink had taken them then why would they have no obvious cuts or marks on them? The one that I saw just looked a bit worse for wear but no obvious clues to what had caused it to haul out!

I can help you there Tim. It was a big northern bloke that caused it to 'haul out'. ;) After I spotted one of them shining under the water, Trace waded in and booted it out, exclaiming 'it looks a bit jellied to me' - priceless! :t:

Could the recent discovery of ex-Eels be related to last year's drought in some way or other, perhaps?
Spent a pleasant hour or so down the Flashes after work yesterday. Nice to see Gav and Hayley (sp?) and then get informed about the Peregrine vs Carrion Crow carry on. I'll spare you the photos of the Peregrine sat in the field (it must have nearly been in Warwickshire, it was that far away)! Eventually it flew and returned (via the other end of the hide) to the masts. I'll include a tatty BIF shot just to prove I was there, I guess.
The semi-resident LBBG pair were evident, along with the pair of Oystercatchers who it would be great to see breeding this year.

Attachments

• Peregrine.jpg
    Peregrine.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 74
  • LBBGs.jpg
    LBBGs.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Oystercatchers.jpg
    Oystercatchers.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 67
After G&H had shuffled off to the Moors the Gertmeister put in an appearance and once he'd taken over the watch I turned my attention to the Weather Station, where, apart from downloading the last 24 hours data, I achieved nothing. The datum points are still being generated at 27 minutes past the hour!
Before the extremely welcome light faded, I managed to grab shots of this Stock Dove, the Gadwalls (again wouldn't their continued presence be a bonus) and as the last island remained sun-kissed and the start of the roost began to form, I pinched a piccie of the gathering BHGs.

Attachments

• Stock Dove.jpg
    Stock Dove.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Gadwalls.jpg
    Gadwalls.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 58
  • BHG Roost.jpg
    BHG Roost.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 71
He was seen sunday afternoon and also heard shooting in the fields by transmitter, from the bangs it definitely not .22 more like 12 bore. Whilst i am here, small gripe. What happened to the "quality cake" i was promised? its alright determining who goes for light or dark biscuits but i am more of a homemade cake man myself. Dennis

I'd like to echo Dennis's comment re cake ;)

Btw I understand that some people have complained there is too much 'patting each other on the back' in this forum. (Why anyone would complain when we're all on the same side is beyond me..) I have made a quick calculation of the man hours put in by volunteers in work parties, report writing, background meetings with the trust etc etc and I reckon that if you applied the minimum hourly wage then the work put in by volunteers calculates shy of £100k a year !!

I think all those that contribute to make the reserve the best it can be for wildlife and everyone else should be very proud of that - sorry if that sounds like a pat on the back 8-P

Last edited:
I'd like to echo Dennis's comment re cake ;)

Btw I understand that some people have complained there is too much 'patting each other on the back' in this forum. (Why anyone would complain when we're all on the same side is beyond me..) I have made a quick calculation of the man hours put in by volunteers in work parties, report writing, background meetings with the trust etc etc and I reckon that if you applied the minimum hourly wage then the work put in by volunteers calculates shy of £100k a year !!

I think all those that contribute to make the reserve the best it can be for wildlife and everyone else should be very proud of that - sorry if that sounds like a pat on the back 8-P

Hear, hear Gert. I'll give you a pat on the back for giving everyone a pat on the back! ;) Oh b****r that's ANOTHER 'pat on the back' for the complainers to complain about!8-P

Rob

As well as the list of March arrivals posted the other day, its is well worth keeping an eye out for Stonechat

There have been sightings at a few locations regionally lately including Belvide today...smashing birds

Glad you enjoyed it Peter and a pleasure to have your company. Iam sure your endeavours will be rewarded:t:
My theory of relativity:smoke:..refers to the choice between milk or plain chocolate biscuits..those with University educated background, always (well 99% of the time, according to my statistical analysis) go for Plain while the rest go for milk. Unfortunately the 'underclass' for which there is no hope go for hob-nobs, of which I am a proud muncher8-P
B :)John
n

john i really think your comments are scraping the bottom of the biscuit barrel!;)

to woodchat

cheers for the info had a look through 1st on must be a collectable its £120 was'nt planning on spending that much on the hol!! will check through others later, cheers again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back