• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ebro Delta threatened (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

The spectacular wetlands of the Ebro Delta are threatened

The Ebro Delta, one of the most important wetlands in Europe, will vanish if a plan goes ahead to divert the waters of the river to the south-eastern region of Spain, more than 1,000 km away.

On 16 December, the European Commissioner for the Environment, Ms. Margot Wallström, pressurized by the Spanish Government, will rule on the legality of the Ebro water transfer project.

It is expected that the decision will be in favour of the project, despite its negative impacts and its illegality according to EU directives. If the scheme is approved, the European Commissioner for Regional Policy, M. Michel Barnier, will make available the funds that Spain needs to realize this project.

Your help is needed IMMEDIATELY to save the Ebro Delta and to stop the devastating Ebro Water Transfer.

Go here!

http://www.proact-campaigns.net/ppsi/id44.html

Thank you to Jane for raising this issue on Bird Forum - i have meaning to post similar for a while but could not find the words to express quite how amazing and vital a habitat the delta is.

Having lived here for 6 months I can confirm first hand that the Ebro Delta is an area incredibly rich in birds, and i feel honoured to have given my time to help protect even a small area within it. It holds probably half of Spains breeding bittern population and large numbers of Purple Swamp Hens - both on the LIFE projects top priority list,as well as too many other species to mention. I believe that almost two thirds of European Birds have been sighted on the Delta at one time or another - it has provided me with at least 80 lifers!

Please find time to follow Jane´s links and get all your friends to do so as well - this reckless plan cannot be allowed to go through.

Some good news is that Catalonia´s regional government has just changed hands and the new President has stated that 'not one drop' of the Ebro will be allowed to pass through the pipeline. I hope this proves to be true.

Petition signed, we are losing far too much of the worlds natural resources.

Hope this makes a difference.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back