• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Redneck shoots Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Maybe he could move to Malta, he'd fit right in.[/QUOTE]

Only after he gets out of jail. or mayby Kirkuk.

Anyone with the personality type that would allow them to shoot birds would know enough about guns to know that a pellet gun will kill a bird.

News article said:
Grace admitted to firing into the tree on several occasions with a rifle in an effort to scare them away.

"All I wanted was for the birds to go away," Grace said. "Please go away, please."

He said he wasn't shooting to kill.

"None of them never fell," he said. "They always flew away."

"None of them never fell". Pfffftttt. He is a liar.

Last edited:
Dove hunting is alive and well in South Carolina:-C

Just curious, what's the popular sentiment in the state? Is there a quiet "underground" majority of people sensitive to natural history that yields to a more vociferous and belligerent shooting culture? Or are the dove shooters pretty much characteristic of the temperment and mind-set of the local culture.

No prejudgements on my part, but I'm curious about your take on the question as a resident of that otherwise beautiful area.

As a non hunter living in rural N California - it's just part of the local hunting culture. As I mentioned, it's also the 1st hunting of the fall season. Never a negative thing have I read or heard in our area. N Cali is rural, but I do live in a college town. Interesting that while I'm not bothered by a dove season - I cringe at shooting Sandhills (in States that have a season). Again, as a non hunter - I'm used to doves being a game bird where I live but agree with Europeans who dislike the hunting of songbirds in Italy, Malta, etc. No doubt a double standard. "Game bird" is a catagory perhaps not understood by all - or even should it be. That being said, I've watched "The locals" in the Amazon shoot antbirds with darts and Papuans arrow pigeons - all for dinner and found no revulsion.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back