• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap immitating Nightingale (1 Viewer)

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
I Was out birding yesterday in Notts and heard what I was certain was a Nightingale. I kept listening and it appeared to tag a Blackap song on the end. At first I assumed I must be listening to two birds but the Nightingale song kept ending with the typical whistly notes of Blackcap. I investigated the thicket and discovered the male Blackcap with its mate. Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?

Yes! A few years ago I had one just like you've descibed.

It was in a thick hedge rather than the scrub more typical of Nightingale but without the bit of Blackcap song tagged onto the end it could have been a bit naughty (the grey plumage with black top of the head was a bit of a giveaway when it did finally show, of course!)

The one thing that intrigued me was, if it was mimicking a genuine Nightingale, where had it been to hear one...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back