• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go Aberdeen (1 Viewer)

WildlifeLover

Hi. I live just south of Aberdeen city and am looking for places to go to see wildlife. Is there anywhere in Deeside or the Stonehaven direction that has wildlife hides? I'm also really interested in photographing long tailed tits so if anyone knows where I could go to look for them it would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi Wildlifelover and welcome to the Forum. We have a few members from the Aberdeen area and hopefully they'll be along soon to offer some advice.

Rich

Hi WildlifeLover and a warm welcome from me too.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Welcome to BirdForum WildlifeLover. There are potentially lots of good places around Aberdeen and northeast Scotland, both along the coast and inland, so you should be spoilt for choice.

There are relatively few places with bird hides, however. There's the Waulkmill Hide on the upper reaches of Ythan Estuary near Ellon and there are a few hides at RSPB Loch of Strathbeg. There's a hide at Donmouth in Aberdeen too. Not sure there are too many others though.

I saw a few Long-tailed Tits this morning, around the waterworks in Nigg Bay on the south side of Aberdeen. They've become much commoner there over the past few years. Various spots around lower Deeside and Donside should have them.

If there's anything else you're interested in looking for, let us know and we'll try to give some suggestions.

Welcome to BF.

Andrew has covered your questions but If you need anymore help,please feel free to ask.We are a friendly bunch of locals In the Aberdeen area.

Thanks! I have a few days off next week and am thinking of going out and about with my camera.
I was at the Donmouth hide last week and saw some seals and not much more! But will try this one again as it did have a lot of potential. I will definitely have a look at the others too. Is there anywhere you would recommend to walk around in the Stonehaven/South of Aberdeen area and see lots of wildlife? I did have a look at Dunnotar woods and saw some nice little birds and a buzzard. I know there are kingfishers at the don, but do you know if there are any on the dee and also (I know they are not birds!) otters? Those and woodland birds are on my wishlist just now! Thanks again!

Fowlsheugh (Crawton) 3 miles south of Stonehaven,Is a RSPB Reserve but I would Imagine most of the breeding birds (Puffin,Guilliemot,Razorbill) shall be very low In numbers,since the breeding season Is over.Still a fantastic place to visit.

There are Kingfishers on lower Deeside but they are hard to find.One of the most reliable areas,Is now lost due to a bridge being built as part of the By Pass.

Otters are on the Dee and Don but again,not very easy to find.

People watching the Harlequin Duck on the Don in Seaton Park saw Otters fairly frequently, if time isn't an issue you could do worse than look there.

John

Two books that might be helpful:

Birding Guide to North East Scotland (Sullivan and Francis) available from RSPB Scotland Aberdeen and District Local Group which covers the area you are interested in in great detail but might be sold out now.

My own Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands which covers most of the Highlands from Perth northwards, plus Skye, Mull etc. Pm me if you would like to see a sample chapter, no obligation.

Also take a look at the SOC website, which should have some useful information. Joining your local SOC/RSPB groups would be a great place to start, as they both run local trips.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - Author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back