• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identity crisis! (1 Viewer)

Masahi Jaeger

Hi,
I am simply new to the whole bird of prey thing, but recently I rescued a fallen bird , it had hurt its left wing and may be had been attacked by other predators too. I tended to it for almost month now and now its coming up strong. I can say without any prejudice that I have started to enjoy its company and want to provide the best care available. With that intention arises my concerns and issues. The more I research and read about bird of prey the more complicated it gets, as there are so many kinds and types and each has their own needs as well, moreover every trainer has his/her own way of handling them. I am a total noob to this and yet haven't been able to identify my bird either. Therefore please, help me identify my bird and tell me how I can care for it better. All or any help is genuinely appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170713_122153_419.jpg
    IMG_20170713_122153_419.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20170713_122056_440.jpg
    IMG_20170713_122056_440.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-20170627-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170627-WA0001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 77
I would take a guess as this bird being a young Black Kite possibly, If its wings are strong and it is attempting to fly, the best thing would be to simply release it somewhere quiet maybe with other Kites nearby, or if you have a local bird of prey rescue center take it there and follow there advice, well done for taking time to help it, I know this takes a lot of dedication..good luck and welcome to bird forum.

Mark

Yes it bate its wings but have never attempted to fly very far, more like a big leap using it's wings. Living in a third world country we don't have such facilities as a bird rescue centre and the animal rescue centres we have well lets not just talk about it �� . But thank you for your help sir, at least now my search has been narrowed down to black kites. I will try to provide the best I can for its kind till its strong enough to fly away. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back