Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 15:38   #1
WildlifeLover

Question Where to go Aberdeen

Hi. I live just south of Aberdeen city and am looking for places to go to see wildlife. Is there anywhere in Deeside or the Stonehaven direction that has wildlife hides? I'm also really interested in photographing long tailed tits so if anyone knows where I could go to look for them it would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 16:33   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Hi Wildlifelover and welcome to the Forum. We have a few members from the Aberdeen area and hopefully they'll be along soon to offer some advice.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 16:43   #3
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Hi WildlifeLover and a warm welcome from me too.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 18:01   #4
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Welcome to BirdForum WildlifeLover. There are potentially lots of good places around Aberdeen and northeast Scotland, both along the coast and inland, so you should be spoilt for choice.

There are relatively few places with bird hides, however. There's the Waulkmill Hide on the upper reaches of Ythan Estuary near Ellon and there are a few hides at RSPB Loch of Strathbeg. There's a hide at Donmouth in Aberdeen too. Not sure there are too many others though.

I saw a few Long-tailed Tits this morning, around the waterworks in Nigg Bay on the south side of Aberdeen. They've become much commoner there over the past few years. Various spots around lower Deeside and Donside should have them.

If there's anything else you're interested in looking for, let us know and we'll try to give some suggestions.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 21:58   #5
WildlifeLover

Thank you very much for the information! :)
Old Sunday 27th August 2017, 19:44   #6
Ben Nevis

Welcome to BF.

Andrew has covered your questions but If you need anymore help,please feel free to ask.We are a friendly bunch of locals In the Aberdeen area.
Old Sunday 27th August 2017, 20:41   #7
WildlifeLover

Thanks! I have a few days off next week and am thinking of going out and about with my camera.
I was at the Donmouth hide last week and saw some seals and not much more! But will try this one again as it did have a lot of potential. I will definitely have a look at the others too. Is there anywhere you would recommend to walk around in the Stonehaven/South of Aberdeen area and see lots of wildlife? I did have a look at Dunnotar woods and saw some nice little birds and a buzzard. I know there are kingfishers at the don, but do you know if there are any on the dee and also (I know they are not birds!) otters? Those and woodland birds are on my wishlist just now! Thanks again!
Old Monday 28th August 2017, 08:53   #8
Ben Nevis

Fowlsheugh (Crawton) 3 miles south of Stonehaven,Is a RSPB Reserve but I would Imagine most of the breeding birds (Puffin,Guilliemot,Razorbill) shall be very low In numbers,since the breeding season Is over.Still a fantastic place to visit.

There are Kingfishers on lower Deeside but they are hard to find.One of the most reliable areas,Is now lost due to a bridge being built as part of the By Pass.

Otters are on the Dee and Don but again,not very easy to find.
Old Monday 28th August 2017, 15:19   #9
Farnboro John

People watching the Harlequin Duck on the Don in Seaton Park saw Otters fairly frequently, if time isn't an issue you could do worse than look there.

John
Old Tuesday 29th August 2017, 07:35   #10
gordon hamlett

Two books that might be helpful:

Birding Guide to North East Scotland (Sullivan and Francis) available from RSPB Scotland Aberdeen and District Local Group which covers the area you are interested in in great detail but might be sold out now.

My own Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands which covers most of the Highlands from Perth northwards, plus Skye, Mull etc. Pm me if you would like to see a sample chapter, no obligation.

Also take a look at the SOC website, which should have some useful information. Joining your local SOC/RSPB groups would be a great place to start, as they both run local trips.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - Author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: