• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Chemical Company helping Birds & Wildlife! (1 Viewer)

Marmot

I spotted the following article from my local paper about Huntsman Petrochemicals helping preserve the wildlife/birding in this area .

This type of firm may some times get bad press for some of the problems it brings to the environment but I think that they deserve a pat on the back.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Firm to provide water for wildlife Sep 5 2005

By Evening Gazette

A chemical company on Teesside has come to the aid of a thriving wetland site - to ensure it remains just that.

Despite a long history of winter flooding, the Saltholme Pools, near Hartlepool, often suffer drought in spring and summer.

This is bad news for its resident wildlife, including common terns, herons, swans and an abundance of wildflowers.

Now its industrial neighbour, Huntsman Petrochemicals, has agreed to provide up to 300,000 cubic metres of water a year.

A new pipeline will bring the fresh water from one of Huntsman's local bore holes.

Plant manager Geoff Steele said: "We will be supplying the water free whenever the RSPB needs it and have also contributed to the installation of the pipeline."

A spokesman for the RSPB said the water will help keep the grasslands, new pools and reed beds wet throughout the year.

"Piping water on to reserve will ensure that fantastic wetland wildlife - from water voles to butterflies - will be able to thrive," he said.

In the past, because it is so close to sea level, the reserve has often flooded. This in turn has affected scores of homes at Port Clarence.

To ensure that the new water provision is kept on the site, a new flood bank has been created next to the Clarences allotments. Fifteen sluice gates have also been installed.

Over the next two years, a bird discovery centre, car park and visitor centre will be built at the 1,000 acre reserve. The reserve is expected to attract thousands of birds, and even more visitors, to Teesside every year.

Taken from Evening Gazette, Middlesbrough. (icteesside)

All good news Marmot, so many wetlands are at the mercy of whatever nature throws their way, a litte help from time to time will hopefully. keep things tip top

Ps. Your statement concerning the Toon having to meet the Smoggies now no longer fills me with dread,as now we have Geordie Owen and Geordie Solalno B :) B :) :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
good news indeed.......aslong as it IS fresh, clean water being pumped into the area..........imagine the damage a mutant 6ft heron could do!!!!

cuddy said:
All good news Marmot, so many wetlands are at the mercy of whatever nature throws their way, a litte help from time to time will hopefully. keep things tip top

Ps. Your statement concerning the Toon having to meet the Smoggies now no longer fills me with dread,as now we have Geordie Owen and Geordie Solalno B :) B :) :clap: :clap:
Good luck against Fulham, hope you get a good result, the North East teams need a boost!! not looking forward to playing the Gooners!!

Toon

pauliev69 said:
Good luck against Fulham, hope you get a good result, the North East teams need a boost!! not looking forward to playing the Gooners!!

Ta Paul we need all the help we can get.

Marmot its great news for the area as the NE has not had the input to the reserves it deserves, it may take many years but i have a feelgood factor about Teeside and i hope it all comes good.

Brian r.

I think it is excellent that all these formerly nasty companies are jumping on the environmental bandwagon. At the end of the day it's all good PR. I work for the MOD who are also adopting a similar attitude. The establishment I'm employed at is due to close in a couple of years and I'm on the panel to find the best way forwards from an environmental point of view. We're talking about a huge area of land here.

Let's hope it continues to be trendy because, let's face it, nature needs all the help it can get.

Gus

Gus Horsley said:
I think it is excellent that all these formerly nasty companies are jumping on the environmental bandwagon. At the end of the day it's all good PR.
Gus

Let's not get carried away. They will only do what they have to. It is simply good PR as you say Gus. Let's not all forget that public relations are influenced by outside pressure. Without this and public awareness projects like the one described would rarely happen.

By the way (Cuddy) I've never heard that term "Smoggies" before! Is that just reserved for Fulham or London clubs generally? Thanks for the point by the way, it'll be needed towards the end of the season as usual.

Keith

Keith

You have to retain a certain amount of cynicism haven't you in these situations. The MOD are also adopting a "we want the public to think we're Green" attitude. As long as it works, it's fine by me.

Gus

Keithec said:
By the way (Cuddy) I've never heard that term "Smoggies" before! Is that just reserved for Fulham or London clubs generally? Thanks for the point by the way, it'll be needed towards the end of the season as usual.

Keith

Hi Keith Smoggies refers to residents of Middlesbrough and relates to the local chemical plants, Makems are residents of the Sunderland area and Geordies are the chosen o:) o:) o:) here endeth the local history lesson |:d|

You should have took all 3 points we were dire on this form we are down .

Brian r.

Keithec said:
Let's not get carried away. They will only do what they have to.
Surely all they had to do was nothing. Of course, a big, nasty, petrochemical company couldn't possibly be doing it for altruistic reasons, could they?

Cuddy, you've got nowt to gripe about. I'm a Leeds United supporter. Have pity.

Could be a new thread - what football team do you support. What it's got to do with birds is beyond me. Oh I forgot, it has: Sheffield Wednesday - owls. Norwich - canaries, etc.

Gus

hollis_f said:
Surely all they had to do was nothing. Of course, a big, nasty, petrochemical company couldn't possibly be doing it for altruistic reasons, could they?

No they are not doing it for altruistic reasons. They are doing it because a "green" public image is good for business. Environmentalists have to exploit that as a way of keeping the pressure up. I think Huntsman Petrochemicals were named as a top polluter a few years ago. This action by them will have something to do with that.

Keith

Last edited:
Gus Horsley said:
Cuddy, you've got nowt to gripe about. I'm a Leeds United supporter. Have pity.

Could be a new thread - what football team do you support. What it's got to do with birds is beyond me. Oh I forgot, it has: Sheffield Wednesday - owls. Norwich - canaries, etc.

Gus

Has there ever been a "Birds seen while watching a football match" thread?

Keith

Just to add tot his thread, soea anyone know which company's vehicle blew up on the M25 a week or two ago, with some Hydrogen Peroxide having caught fire?

I work for a Chemical distributor and my product is about to help the environment when new Euro 4 Emission regulations come into effect. Have a look at

www.air1.info

GV

Keith

If anybody was watching birds instead of the footie it must have been some boring match. Wasn't there a pigeon once that copped a cricket ball? Or is that some urban myth?

Gus

Gus Horsley said:
Keith

If anybody was watching birds instead of the footie it must have been some boring match. Wasn't there a pigeon once that copped a cricket ball? Or is that some urban myth?

Gus

Half time Gus. At the Cottage, which is next to the Thames of course, various gulls, the odd cormorant & those pesky ring necked parakeets are regulars.

Cricket!! A bizarre entry on a scorecard in Bristol once was "mackerel stopped play." It actually has a bird connection too.

Keith

Gus Horsley said:
Keith

Gus

Plenty of birds have met grisly and sudden ends in the sporting arena - various pigeons, and even (impressively) a House Martin in a tennis match.

The most famous is a House Sparrow that was bowled out (hoho) by a ball bowled by Jehangir Khan in 1938 - it was stuffed and mounted on the ball, and now can be seen in the MCC museum,

ce

CornishExile said:
Plenty of birds have met grisly and sudden ends in the sporting arena - various pigeons, and even (impressively) a House Martin in a tennis match.

The most famous is a House Sparrow that was bowled out (hoho) by a ball bowled by Jehangir Khan in 1938 - it was stuffed and mounted on the ball, and now can be seen in the MCC museum,

ce

To give an American example of a bird that met its untimely demise at the hand of sports, as few years back a rock pigeon flew into the path of a Randy Johnson fastball. The video was quite impressive with Johnson winding up and pitching, then seeing this bird fly in front of the catcher and POOF, feathers flying everywhere.

How did this get from chemical companies to sporting casualties? I was climbing in Snowdonia once when a sheep narrowly missed me as it sailed by. No warning either. I know it wasn't a bird, but it was still airborne! It thumped onto the ground about 300ft below. Brought a right lump to the throat, I can tell you.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back